What is your current opinion of CPJ?

What describes your current opinion of CPJ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Throw out 56-0 against Syracuse and what have you got?

Like others, I am not sure how you can just "throw this out." If the discussion is about his particular offense and its scoring, don't we all agree that his particular offense is the ONLY reason we won 56-0? Syracuse gave up about 25ppg. We blew them out because of our unique offense.

I personally have seen enough to feel Paul Johnson...is not going to have us back in the hunt for a division title...

This I cannot understand. In six years here he has won or tied for first in the Coastal division 3 times and tied for second another 2. How does that lead you to believe he will never "have us back in the hung" again?(n) We still had a chance to get into the championship game in the final week last season had a few things gone our way.

I personally have seen enough to feel Paul Johnson...is not going to win again versus the University of Georgia even if he has a dozen more oportunities.

He won in 2008 and it went right down to the wire in 2009 and 2010. We lost in double OT last year. Again, how can you look at that an conclude that he could never win again if he had a dozen more tries.

I don't mind views that think we can and should be doing better. I agree. But lets be rational and not overdo it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That's one of the core problems with any online discussion, no one really keeps track of what people say. It's like one person speculates something in one thread then someone else reads it and then posts in a different thread "Hey, I read somewhere...".

But to answer your question, yes, I've seen numerous comments by those that don't particularly like CPJ that all he does is yell at his kids. I suppose if all they have to judge is just CPJ's actions in the heat of games on the sidelines then it may be true. But unless you're actually there with him (and not just have met him once or twice), I'm not so sure you can really form any type of opinion.

People will believe and read into whatever they want, if it serves their own opinion.
If we want **** Vermeil on the sidelines then we should hire **** Vermeil. As long as CPJ isn’t acting like Mike Rice then people need to let him be who he is. Lots of coaches are tough on guys and don’t have media friendly personalities. If a player doesn’t like a coach then they shouldn’t come play for him. The athletic department knew his personality ahead of time, there is no reason they should be that girlfriend that starts dating a guy and decides she needs to change everything about him to make him acceptable to date her.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Like others, I am not sure how you can just "throw this out." If the discussion is about his particular offense and its scoring, don't we all agree that his particular offense is the ONLY reason we won 56-0? Syracuse gave up about 25ppg. We blew them out because of our unique offense.

This I cannot understand. In six years here he has won or tied for first in the Coastal division 3 times and tied for second another 2. How does that lead you to believe he will never "have us back in the hung" again?(n) We still had a chance to get into the championship game in the final week last season had a few things gone our way.

He won in 2008 and it went right down to the wire in 2009 and 2010. We lost in double OT last year. Again, how can you look at that an conclude that he could never win again if he had a dozen more tries.

I don't mind views that think we can and should be doing better. I agree. But lets be rational and not overdo it.
GTRX7, in fairness to J-BR, he was telling us how he feels and not what he thought. So, he is addressing it from an emotional point of view and not necessarily from a cogent thought process. That is the reason that facts may not be that important.

If we want **** Vermeil on the sidelines then we should hire **** Vermeil. As long as CPJ isn’t acting like Mike Rice then people need to let him be who he is. Lots of coaches are tough on guys and don’t have media friendly personalities. If a player doesn’t like a coach then they shouldn’t come play for him. The athletic department knew his personality ahead of time, there is no reason they should be that girlfriend that starts dating a guy and decides she needs to change everything about him to make him acceptable to date her.

If Johnson doesn't really care about his players, and (as some have claimed) his players don't like him, then why do so many former players come back and stand on the sidelines during games? Hell, even Calvin, who never played for Johnson, has been to at least on game, and he was quoted as saying he would have loved to have played for Johnson. I have never met Johnson, but I did meet his brother and his mother in Durham last year, and they were both as friendly and personable as you could hope for. I doubt that the apple falls far from the tree, no matter what the haters think

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Never, ever said it was true, but what is TRUE is that it is used as part of negative recruiting against us, and you can take that to the bank......

Let them use it. And then CPJ can point to what happened last week.

I just don't get all the hand-wringing worrying about what mean things other teams are going to say about us in recruiting.

Kyle Jackson, another guy who wasn't recruited by CPJ, said that he (coach) was one of the most "down to earth, easygoing guys in the world" off the field. I think his softening stance on the field has hurt the program. I'd like to see him find that fire he had his first 2 yrs...

Animal02

Banned
Only differences
Coach seems to think his job is delegate and forget too much - not ornery but to slow to identify and take action.

Groh was hired to run the defense and it took MTSU to finally change that mid season and we had to use kelly till end of year and then he quit. Lagging leadership by coach.

In 2009 my son who is a Texas football coach and I contacted Todd spencer with a good running back from 3a . Todd called and sent letter but recruiters from the Purdue and others came. My son said would speak highly of gt if they had come but they could not because they were focused on winning the recruiting battle in ga. Kid went to Purdue, another kid son coached went to New Mexico then nfl, now we are trying to recruit outside ga, but don't try Texas where there are 5000 tech grads.

Regardless of the past, we are where we are. Coach has adjusted and while we have a few hiccups recently with academics and stud athletes, this could be a very good year . On another thread I agreed we should not change coach in 2014 , but need to run through 2015 when we have tough schedule to get everyone on the same page.

I think that was the big mistake CPJ made when he came to Tech. He thought he could recreated what he did at Southern wrt recruiting. It is a different monster than DII, and it took him a while to figure it out.

thwgjacket

There is always the possibilty that we throw the baby out with the bathwater. Such is life. I personally have seen enough to feel Paul Johnson, as great of a guy as he well may be, is not going to have us back in the hunt for a division title, is not going to consistently win two games out of our big 4 or five rivals, and is not going to win again versus the University of Georgia even if he has a dozen more oportunities. I don't feel he has performed well enough to have earned the privilege to continue to try.
We finished a game out of first in our division last year. We've only finished lower than 2nd once and that was third place. What the hell are you talking about?
We've finished in first or with a share of first in the ACC Coastal 3 of 6 years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We finished a game out of first in our division last year. We've only finished lower than 2nd once and that was third place. What the hell are you talking about?
Another way to say the same thing is out of the 6 teams in our division, the worst we've ever finished is third and that was only once. Every other time it was either first or second.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Put me in the first category. Like @Boomergump said he is graduating students, and winning the games we should win. I think he deserves to continue unless things change drastically for the worst.

For the guys that think going to a pass happy offense is the key, remember that is going to be as hard to get that QB as it is to get a great option QB.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I love watching our O and I think CPJ is a hell of a coach. I think he is able to get more with less talent. Some of our issues since he has been here has been Def, ST, and recruiting. CTR is fixing our D. I think ST is little more about talent than it is coaching. It is like in pitching, you can teach a change up or curveball, but you can't coach a fastball. You either have the leg or you don't. I think there were some mistakes made in recruiting. I think recruiting for GT is totally different than it is anywhere else and it takes time. I think the extra money in the recruiting dept. is going to pay dividends in a couple of years. I think everything is starting to come together. I know ifs and buts were a candy and nuts...., but since 2011 we lost 4 games in OT (Bowl game,VT,UM,UGA) If we win just two of those games how would everybody outlook change. I think our O is the best thing for us. We are not going to out recruit year in and year out players to run (pro style, spread, whatever O). We have to be different, we are not going to out factory the factory programs. I think we need somebody that will be here for a number of years build a solid foundation. FSU was pretty bad until BB. He built a solid foundation and won for a number of years. Now we may not have that type of success since not everybody is able to handle the class load at GT, but there is no reason why we can't have a number of good years with a few great years mixed in. I think one of the big things missing and would make a huge difference is if we can get a QB that can run the TO like JN and pass the ball like VL did in the UGA game. I think the O would be unstoppable and would show spread QB what can done in this O and would help in recruiting other QB. I think we are on a upward trend. D is looking better and I very happy with this incoming class. You don't plant a seed one day and it produces fruit the next it takes some time. I also think our O might be a huge advantage to us in the future, if the playoff system goes how I think it will go. My belief is that they will stay with the four team playoff for a little while and then before long there will be complaints about who got in and who is not. like 2 sec teams got in and some conference champ didn't. I think what we will end up with is a playoff with conf champs and a at large. If we get in as conf champ, teams will have a short time to prepare for our O that we will be at a huge advantage.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I love watching our O and I think CPJ is a hell of a coach. I think he is able to get more with less talent. Some of our issues since he has been here has been Def, ST, and recruiting. CTR is fixing our D. I think ST is little more about talent than it is coaching. It is like in pitching, you can teach a change up or curveball, but you can't coach a fastball. You either have the leg or you don't. I think there were some mistakes made in recruiting. I think recruiting for GT is totally different than it is anywhere else and it takes time. I think the extra money in the recruiting dept. is going to pay dividends in a couple of years. I think everything is starting to come together. I know ifs and buts were a candy and nuts...., but since 2011 we lost 4 games in OT (Bowl game,VT,UM,UGA) If we win just two of those games how would everybody outlook change. I think our O is the best thing for us. We are not going to out recruit year in and year out players to run (pro style, spread, whatever O). We have to be different, we are not going to out factory the factory programs. I think we need somebody that will be here for a number of years build a solid foundation. FSU was pretty bad until BB. He built a solid foundation and won for a number of years. Now we may not have that type of success since not everybody is able to handle the class load at GT, but there is no reason why we can't have a number of good years with a few great years mixed in. I think one of the big things missing and would make a huge difference is if we can get a QB that can run the TO like JN and pass the ball like VL did in the UGA game. I think the O would be unstoppable and would show spread QB what can done in this O and would help in recruiting other QB. I think we are on a upward trend. D is looking better and I very happy with this incoming class. You don't plant a seed one day and it produces fruit the next it takes some time. I also think our O might be a huge advantage to us in the future, if the playoff system goes how I think it will go. My belief is that they will stay with the four team playoff for a little while and then before long there will be complaints about who got in and who is not. like 2 sec teams got in and some conference champ didn't. I think what we will end up with is a playoff with conf champs and a at large. If we get in as conf champ, teams will have a short time to prepare for our O that we will be at a huge advantage.
one word: paragraphs.

btw, I really like what you're saying.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Are you celebrating blowing out Syracuse?? Really?

Doesn't mater if it went to 10x OT, its' an L..
I have never seen a fan base make so many excuses for losing. People say us Bama fans live in the past, good grief, 2009 is history boys.