What is the best single-game performance you've seen out of a Tech player?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Calvin Johnson at #3 Miami 2005. If you didn’t watch that game you need to go find the game or the highlights and watch it. He was incredible that day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Calvin Johnson at #3 Miami 2005. If you didn’t watch that game you need to go find the game or the highlights and watch it. He was incredible that day.
I could have picked any of a dozen others probably, but that one stood out to me because of how good Miami was and how much he dominated them.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The player I remember most from that game was a punt - the punter (Arndt?) made a TD-saving tackle chasing down a return at one point. I think he later boomed one practically all the way down the field to ice the game.
Good call. I definitely remember the key role Ben Arndt played in that win. He did have like a 70 yard punt from our own endzone to help ensure the win. A dominating performance by the punter.
And, I think I remember Durant Brooks having a similar game ... maybe it was against Miami the very next year?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I missed that year. Would have loved to seen it live. Mother in Law used to send us VHS tapes while we were in theatre. Hate it when later games arrived before previous ones. Based on record you could tell if we had won or lost. Made a lot of friends and people became GT fans because I was the only one with football to watch outside of an occasional game we were somewhere we could get AFN.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow I could come up with a lot of individual plays (the kick and the pick, Scott Scisson VA kick 1990, stuff like that), and there are plenty of ones from 2014. Oliver and Jordan against VT someone else has mentioned.

What about Charlie Thomas only in 1/2 a game setting records against Pitt?

It's fun to read these and remember...

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
On offense- Joe Hamilton (1999) at Doak Campbell vs FSU. Ralph really had us moving. Joe was 25-28 ( including an 80 yard bomb to Dez White on our first offensive play) against a star studded FSU defense. (Joe Burns, Dez White and Kelly Campbell all were accomplices). It was a Saturday night ESPN game which also featured FSU OC Mark Richt, Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke and Peter Warrick. We lost a track meet 41-35. On defense, Ted Roof verses Tennessee in Knoxville 1985. This was the Black Watch defense coached by Don Lindsay featuring Pat Swilling. Roof was everywhere. He set a GT record for 22 tackles that night. The game was a defensive struggle and unfortunately ended in a 6-6 tie when Tenn kicker Carlos Revitz kicked a 51 yard FG on the last play of the game.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great performance, but hard for me to tab big numbers against a bad Duke team as the best I’ve seen.
I was there for that game as well and remember telling my buddy with me that he single handedly won that game. Duke had him dead to rights on a blitz in the end zone and he turned it into a 50 yard run.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to mention Freshman quarterback Gary Lanier in the 1976 Notre Dame game which Tech won.
23-14.

He had a great supporting cast with Eddie Lee Ivery, David Sims and Drew Hill on offense and Lucius Sanford,
Reggie Wilkes, and Don Bessellieu on Defense. Gary did a great job getting the most out of the Wishbone that day.