What is holding Snoddy back?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree Whiskey. Snoddy needs to be on the field a lot more. I'm in the small minority that thinks he should be our starting B-back over Laskey.

Didn't Snoddy start as a BB 3 years ago? Thats a year before Laskey was moved to the position IIRC. He couldn't see the field and then and was moved to AB. Also, CPJ said that Laskey was "the best player on the team" this spring and you still think he should start over him? That's a pretty big compliment from a coach who doesn't had them out very often. I hope he can find some playing time at AB this year. What may help his cause is Andrews being suspended for the first 2 games. Realistically, this is probably his last chance to garner some playing time at AB because the younger guys are starting to step up IMO. It's hard to wait 4 or 5 years for someone to see the field at this level before you just move along to the next group of guys.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
For those we have seen Snoddy in practice and scrimmages several times it is pretty easy to see why he hasnt been seeing the field.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
I think vision, or perhaps more accurately, anticipation of what is going to happen in front of you, is pure instinct. You either have it or you don't. It's the same with driving. Some people can anticipate stupid things other drivers may do and proactively change lanes to avoid a possible collision. Some people drive right into it.

All of the above.

Poor blocking, took the wrong running lane, poor catching, etc.

Are those the only things holding Snoddy back?

Last yr. when he returned a KO, he looked to be very tentative, almost as if he was scared of contact, on the KO return I saw he was "tippin" as they say in FB vernacular.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Opinions vary. I've seen him run and he looked fine, only faster than our other backs.

True. They can vary greatly. .. I guess you just have to ask yourself why no one else sees it but you. He looks hesitant to everyone else at the BB position and to me is too small. I just don't see him carrying anyone for that extra tough yard that the position requires. AB fits his skills better but even there he hasn't risen to the top or hasn't gotten on the field much.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a good discussion and pretty much everybody is right to a degree. However, one aspect to his play, that has not been mentioned, that I personally feel is the biggest reason he has not played more: his hands. When I watch him I just don't see a kid who has a good feel for grasping the football. You need soft hands when receiving the ball, then still retain feel when you have got it clutched. If I had to guess, I would say he is probably leading his teammates in drops, whether pitches, passes or meshes, during practice. I have not ever been at practice to witness it myself, so this is just instinctive speculation on my part. TIFWIW.

As far as his running ability is concerned, I don't think he has been that bad. I agree he has some limitations, but he has some pretty impressive abilities as well. True, we haven't really seen him put a foot

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy is not a "natural" fball player.
He has limited field vision as has been said.(Seen in his performance even in KOs)He has great straight line speed but limited cutting ability.he also looks a bit-light and may not be naturally strong which hurts in running but also blocking which is key for us.
All that being said,there ought to be some "special" play that uses his speed only-like a LB match-up pass.Of course,he then has catch the ball.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not piss anybody off or put down the young man, but the fact is he is a track guy trying to play football. He just does not have the natural God given instincts to be successful at football. I'm glad he is out there trying, but for those of you expecting him to break out and be an all american, it ain't going to happen.

Go Jackets!

Milwaukee

Banned
Not piss anybody off or put down the young man, but the fact is he is a track guy trying to play football. He just does not have the natural God given instincts to be successful at football. I'm glad he is out there trying, but for those of you expecting him to break out and be an all american, it ain't going to happen.

Go Jackets!

So our coaching staff is terrible? Why would they keep a kid that not only isn't, but "Cannot be a successful football player"?
This conversation has gone in the wrong direction. Let's just hope Snoddy sees the field more with his explosive speed and all of a sudden becomes a football player, since the fan base thinks he isn't one. The kid can fly and is a track star, don't use that against him. The b-back position needs a player that can house it on any simple give. Period. /discussion

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
So our coaching staff is terrible? Why would they keep a kid that not only isn't, but "Cannot be a successful football player"?
This conversation has gone in the wrong direction. Let's just hope Snoddy sees the field more with his explosive speed and all of a sudden becomes a football player, since the fan base thinks he isn't one. The kid can fly and is a track star, don't use that against him. The b-back position needs a player that can house it on any simple give. Period. /discussion

They have one....and it isn't BS

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

I prefer to look at it as the keep him because they aren't terrible. They made a commitment to him when they recruited and signed him. They are choosing to live up to that commitment and let him keep his scholarship and work toward his degree until he decides he's ready to move on. A lot of schools would have flushed him by now.