What is holding Snoddy back?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
This may be a dumb question, but I always thought that Snoddy would be a terror.

I've heard faint rumors (he has no hips, he can't block, etc) but nothing concrete.

Now atht he's the 2nd stringer coming out of spring, can anybody with any knowledge of the situation say what changed, or did anything?

Has the light come on for him, and if not: what does he need to do better?

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Broderick so far has proven to define the definition of track speed not football speed. He is an Allstar track runner but it hasn't translated at all to the football field yet. In open space sure he's as good as any, but he has failed to grasp the other parts of the game that give him the opportunities.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Guys ahead of him on the depth chart...

Sims/Laskey were good BBs in front of him. He played well when he got in. Maybe he was just a touch behind those two guys. Coaches are going to rotate 1a and 1b, not 1a, 1b, and 2., if 2 is even slightly behind.

Now he's playing a new position.

I liked Snoddy at BB, personally, and thought he was fun to watch at the position. If Custis had left before the spring, I bet Snoddy would still be there.

We will see how he pans out at AB. I don't think it's a "starter or he's a disappointment" thing. He was a 3* running back, like most of our other RBs. He's super fast; the rest all do something else well. Some will be slightly better overall than others.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think if you watch his kickoff return last year you can understand what is holding him back, field vision and instinct.

Snoddy was improving at BB and I thought he was a lot doing better. I guess that was not the case with the move to AB.

Snoddy seems to do best when he was in the diamond as his direction is constant with no need to read the field/time the blocks (he runs with the blocks). I think Snoddy may have the same timing/speed issue that our current batch of AB's have developed (excluding Andrews).

Our current ABacks get the ball and head 100% speed to the outside, decided to cut inside at full speed, cannot make the cut, have to apply breaks, get tackled.

Godhigh and Orwin got the ball at medium speed, read the blocks, cut as hard as needed (and could due to the control of their speed), then went to 100% speed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
longestday hit it. His number one problem is no vision. Straight line runner. I have seen him run into blockers and fall down. He has shown little ability to set up a blocker and burst off it. And I think sharing training and time with track has hurt this part of development and him. In football you need to get used to a ton of motion that is dynamic around you play to play...track you have to run between lines. What you worry about and train your body to react to is totally different. This is especially true for someone like snoddy who is not a natural vision reading the field person. He needs to work on it more.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
longestday hit it. His number one problem is no vision. Straight line runner. I have seen him run into blockers and fall down. He has shown little ability to set up a blocker and burst off it. And I think sharing training and time with track has hurt this part of development and him. In football you need to get used to a ton of motion that is dynamic around you play to play...track you have to run between lines. What you worry about and train your body to react to is totally different. This is especially true for someone like snoddy who is not a natural vision reading the field person. He needs to work on it more.

I like Snoddy and I applaud his hard work and effort. It is hard, if not impossible, to coach running back skills. A good rule of thumb is a natural running back has to make the first guy miss. A great back can make more than one miss. I believe Snoddy can help the team with his speed, and the threat of it, but I do not see the natural running back skills. I wish him the best but I believe the big plays will more likely come from an Andrews, a M Autry, or a Leggett. Hopefully Snoddy will get the right blocks to make some big plays. I hope so.

I like Snoddy and I applaud his hard work and effort. It is hard, if not impossible, to coach running back skills. A good rule of thumb is a natural running back has to make the first guy miss. A great back can make more than one miss. I believe Snoddy can help the team with his speed, and the threat of it, but I do not see the natural running back skills. I wish him the best but I believe the big plays will more likely come from an Andrews, a M Autry, or a Leggett. Hopefully Snoddy will get the right blocks to make some big plays. I hope so.
Just a hunch, but if by some luck or favorable block or some such thing, Snoddy were to tear off a 45 or 50 yard blast from scrimmage, it might change his whole outlook. Confidence might be all he is lacking.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Snoddy goes down pretty easy IMO. I was looking at some of his carries from last year and even the one in the spring game where Maven came up and leveled him. He seems to go down with high arm tackles. Good power runners break those kind of tackles and punish defenders that go up high on them. I haven't seen any of that with Snoddy. As far as lack of touches, you earn PT and I think the coaches think he is more a liability than a asset at this point. Hopefully the light comes on this year for him. As a RS junior his window is closing for PT at any position,

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree Whiskey. Snoddy needs to be on the field a lot more. I'm in the small minority that thinks he should be our starting B-back over Laskey.
There is a reason you're in the small minority: just cause someone is fast does not make them a good football player. Fact is that he isn't a football player. Hope he proves me wrong, but from what I've seen, he shouldn't see the field.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a reason you're in the small minority: just cause someone is fast does not make them a good football player. Fact is that he isn't a football player. Hope he proves me wrong, but from what I've seen, he shouldn't see the field.
Everytime ive seen him get a chance he's looked good and ran hard. I think the hes a track guy and can't play football is blown out of proportion on here. Everyone sees he hasn't gotten much p.t yet and don't no why so they just say he isn't a football player imo. Give the guy a legitimate chance and see what happens. That happens all the time in sports, someone finally gets their chance and the rest is history.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Everytime ive seen him get a chance he's looked good and ran hard. I think the hes a track guy and can't play football is blown out of proportion on here. Everyone sees he hasn't gotten much p.t yet and don't no why so they just say he isn't a football player imo. Give the guy a legitimate chance and see what happens. That happens all the time in sports, someone finally gets their chance and the rest is history.
I wouldn't say it happens all the time. I'd say it happens rarely which is why it makes such a good story when it does. What normally happens is the guy who does better in practice usually does better in the game and when the other guy gets a chance usually everyone sees why he wasn't starting in the first place. Snoddy has a legitimate chance - it's called practice (and the last two spring games).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that was going to be my point. Playing time is earned in practice. If the B-Back/QB coach (Cook) thinks Snoddy is ready to be the MAN, then he's going to push for more scrimmage time. That's where he's going to catch CPJ's eye. General rule of thumb is if he's not playing, it's because he's not showing it in practice.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't say it happens all the time. I'd say it happens rarely which is why it makes such a good story when it does. What normally happens is the guy who does better in practice usually does better in the game and when the other guy gets a chance usually everyone sees why he wasn't starting in the first place. Snoddy has a legitimate chance - it's called practice (and the last two spring games).
I agree but a lot of times college and pros you have to wait your turn behind the vets, and when the younger guy gets a chance he takes off. Im not saying he should start bc I like Laskey but I do think he should get carries maybe how he and Sims both got to play. But if Connors gets the carries Laskey doesn't get I wouldn't be to happy. Nothing against him but I'd much rather have Snoddy back there and the threat of the home run.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I liked him at B-Back and thought he had potential, but he's going to be playing A-Back. Our B-Backs were not great in pass-protection last year, if Snoddy was worse than them, then moving him to A-Back makes sense.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Snoddy is a AB, to say you will be unhappy if Connors gets carries is ridiculous. Hard to get carries at a position you don't play.