What is GTSWARM?

gtdrew

Banned
Mt biggest thing is continued negativity without either proposed solutions or an understanding of what the real problem is. IE, anyone who says "the offense is the problem" needs to show me statistically or in firsthand anecdote from a recruit that it is in fact the problem. Also, turning multiple threads into the "bash the current administration" thread. We get it. You don't like the coach. Feel free to not also say it in 9 other threads.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yup, I think you misunderstood the original message so I sent another to clarify since it wouldn't make sense for me to post in public what was removed from public.

Yes, this is up to everyone to decide on their own. Hope there's no hard feelings either way.

You may see the same people in discussion but this is different community. What may or may not have happened elsewhere does not influence anything here.
I read you loud and clear but again with failing eye sight and using capitol letters......dont see how that effects anyone...Yeah didn't come to this board with a load of atta boys from the others but just want to know the rules since if we criticize a play are we banned.........cant play the game without the rules.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
TBH, I don't care if somebody is negative or positive. I do expect a rational and civil justification of their position though. I like my thoughts to be challenged and welcome it. The flip side of that is that I like to dig deeper than throw out platitudes and as a result challenge others' opinions.
I agree if you cant discuss your opinions then what good is it to be part of a board......so far this is a better board than any I have been on I just need to move around and figure out the rules.What will upset me is personal attacks on folks.PJ makes millions but folks here shouldnt be held back for their ideas.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Just a thought, if we had a film room/ scouting report forum where we could discuss post game analysis (as Boomer often does),as well as take the opportunity to look at other team's film, and point out some of the things they do. This is something I have always wanted to do personally for my own learning. It would be great to be able to post my thoughts, and discuss it with this board.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Just a thought, if we had a film room/ scouting report forum where we could discuss post game analysis (as Boomer often does),as well as take the opportunity to look at other team's film, and point out some of the things they do. This is something I have always wanted to do personally for my own learning. It would be great to be able to post my thoughts, and discuss it with this board.
I think we can do something like that. ;)

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
My thought was that we could have a separate repository for film discussions of our play, and our opponents. As the site continues to grow it would be a good forum for new members to read and ask questions. It is something different that most other forums do not have.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Mt biggest thing is continued negativity without either proposed solutions or an understanding of what the real problem is. IE, anyone who says "the offense is the problem" needs to show me statistically or in firsthand anecdote from a recruit that it is in fact the problem. Also, turning multiple threads into the "bash the current administration" thread. We get it. You don't like the coach. Feel free to not also say it in 9 other threads.
gtdrew I agree with you a certain extent. When I was with the Bills, we were not allowed to call anyone out unless we can point out the mistakes on film. We had to also clearly show the proper play or technique that should have been used. I am a little critical of Speed but if asked I can explain why.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
gtdrew I agree with you a certain extent. When I was with the Bills, we were not allowed to call anyone out unless we can point out the mistakes on film. We had to also clearly show the proper play or technique that should have been used. I am a little critical of Speed but if asked I can explain why.
Just curious LL, why your interest in GT football?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boom, I think I may be an original member of this board. I came here one Eric tweeted (remember that post on gtsportstalk) that he was starting a board. Cool site Glad you here to add some levity and your awesome insight he x&o side.
Gosh forgot that Eric did mention he was going to start a board! Man time flies yet this looks like a good crowd and lets bring out best for tech football.Like court room....if you say something ..back it up.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
dressedcheeseside

I am a Jacksonville Boy and I have a connection with the several NFL players who have connection with the program. Lonnie Marts (Trained Step Durham and Lynn Griffin), Marco Coleman volunteered at my football camp (No Weapon) , Gary Brown was with the Steelers when I was with the Bills, the Team Chaplin DEEEEEE MOOOOOO, (Derrick Moore) played with me during my stint with the Carolina Panthers, Player against Big Dorsey Levens though he started with ND he ended up with GT in 92 and 93. I am a fan of Lynn Griffin (I guess you can tell by now lol). I also volunteer on for a non profit Project 180 which works with athletes in under severed communities to mature academically and make it to the next level. Some of these kids where recruited by Ga Tech. Hope that gives you some insight.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Just curious LL, why your interest in GT football?
I am a Jacksonville Boy and I have a connection with the several NFL players who have connection with the program. Lonnie Marts (Trained Step Durham and Lynn Griffin), Marco Coleman volunteered at my football camp (No Weapon) , Gary Brown was with the Steelers when I was with the Bills, the Team Chaplin DEEEEEE MOOOOOO, (Derrick Moore) played with me during my stint with the Carolina Panthers, Player against Big Dorsey Levens though he started with ND he ended up with GT in 92 and 93. I am a fan of Lynn Griffin (I guess you can tell by now lol). I also volunteer on for a non profit Project 180 which works with athletes in under severed communities to mature academically and make it to the next level. Some of these kids where recruited by Ga Tech. Hope that gives you some insight.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
dressedcheeseside

Thanks for responding. I'm just glad to have someone of your knowledge and experience chatting it up with us regular fans. Did you play with the Refrigerator Mover, our own John Davis, when he was with Buffalo? Btw, I'm a Jacksonville citizen myself. Hope we can start a pipeline down here.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember Big No 65 ....John Davis did't have a real close relationship but I know him. Forgot he was out of Tech. He actually retired my first year there. GT is losing out on players because of the following:

*Kids are young and they light style. They seem to gravitate to Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour . Not Russell (sad but true)
*Kids are frightened away by the emphasis placed on the tough academics. Someone needs to place emphasis on all the assistance that is available
*As you know, every kid desires to go to the NFL. They look for that experience on the coaching staff.
*Fan excitement at the games. Kids look for the fans to be excited about their team. This is demonstrated through attendance
*Ga Tech has a reputation for running a offense that will not prepare kids for the league. I know that this may not be totally true but it it the rumors that is out there. This played a important part for Isaiah Ford choosing Louisville over Ga Tech. Even though he and Lynn Griffin are cousins, he just wasn't feeling the program
*Observation about the program. Kids look at things such as equipment provided to players, cleats, gloves, practice gear. The more they have access to the more they feel the program cares
*Players who provide visitors with a tour have to seem excited about the program.
*Coach Johnson is portrayed as being a grumpy old coach who is out of touch with the new way of playing the game. I have not has any negative run ins with him but other teams are using this rumor against him.
*They have to Win the big games. Clemson, Va Tech, Georgia, BYU, Miami, FSU. This will show the program is turning the corner
*We fans that are on social media must do our part.
*Ga Tech needs to increase their effort in getting kids to attend their camps. Maybe collaborate with the administrative department and include the school in some of summer college tours.
*Get Nike to put on a camp at the school. If this is a conflict interest, the convince Russell to put one football camps. One program that is really making a impact with kids in Jacksonville is Nthegame.org. They provide academic assistance with players
*Get to know Lonnie Marts (former NFL Linebacker). Most if the kids in Jacksonville ha trained at his facility. Lonnie is big on the Nike training circuit and was trained by the No 1 trainer in the NFL. check out his site Godspeedelitesports.com. Lonnie not only trains high school students but he also works with players from the CFL, NFL, and AFL. He does a weekly radio show and has a football segment on a local TV news show called Lonnie's corner. Lynn Griffin's parents introduced him to Coach Owens but this relationship needs to be strengthened.
*Marketing, Marketing, Marketing. No one sells GT items here in Jacksonville unless it is special ordered. When in GA I can only find the apparel or other GT items in the GT bookstore and Walmart. There may be other outlets but the marketing is very poor. There needs to be some excitement built up in Jacksonville. I am not sure the NCAA would allow it but maybe schedule a game hear in Jacksonville against an opponent. Give free tickets to high school students, They can play Florida A&M, Bethune Cookman, or Jacksonville University.

Just some input from what I hear from kids and my idea of exposure. Before anyone goes off . Remember these are kids and it is what it is

Animal02

Banned
*Marketing, Marketing, Marketing. No one sells GT items here in Jacksonville unless it is special ordered. When in GA I can only find the apparel or other GT items in the GT bookstore and Walmart. There may be other outlets but the marketing is very poor. There needs to be some excitement built up in Jacksonville. I am not sure the NCAA would allow it but maybe schedule a game hear in Jacksonville against an opponent. Give free tickets to high school students, They can play Florida A&M, Bethune Cookman, or Jacksonville University.

Just some input from what I hear from kids and my idea of exposure. Before anyone goes off . Remember these are kids and it is what it is

I have read off and on about the hassles of students getting tickets etc. to the games, yet you see empty seats all the time for most games. There needs to be some way to make it easier to get students to attend games. Attending games while a student is more likely to make on a lifelong fan than those that sit in the library.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have read off and on about the hassles of students getting tickets etc. to the games, yet you see empty seats all the time for most games. There needs to be some way to make it easier to get students to attend games. Attending games while a student is more likely to make on a lifelong fan than those that sit in the library.

I've been pretty vocal about this on other forums and won't rehash too much, but our policies currently ensure that there will be unused student tickets to every single football game. I get what the AA was going for, but surely they see it as a failed experiment by now. We need to go back to giving away student tickets with no season ticket system. Also, they need to break the link to buzzcards. Yes, some people will get in on student tickets who aren't students...big deal. At least there will be fans in the seats and they will be better about showing up on time if their seats aren't saved until whenever they get there.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Just migrated over here from another board. While I enjoyed the discussion over there, I did not enjoy the personal attacks (which I certainly engaged in). I like the fact that football can be discussed passionately without that.

Thanks to the moderators for laying down the rules. Good to see some of the guys from the other board (even cheese) :)