What is GTSWARM?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it all boils down to what are reasonable expectations for our program based on two things:

1. Who we are as an institution (and this is not likely to change any time soon if ever.)

2. The current landscape of college football as big business - a feeder to the NFL and the media machine - which has completely marginalized the "student" part of "student athlete".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree cuse, but being clutch etc is often a function of players, not scheme. To suggest that it's a factor of a coach or scheme you should be able to show a pattern across seasons and talent.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agree cuse, but being clutch etc is often a function of players, not scheme. To suggest that it's a factor of a coach or scheme you should be able to show a pattern across seasons and talent.

Agree. Without belaboring the point, I think it's fair to say that the 2007 recruiting class led to more clutch moments in 2008 and 2009. I also realize 2007 was an outlier that was not indicative of overall recruiting since the days when we had many more recruiting exceptions.

This 2014 recruiting class could end up being the next best class to 2007 that we've seen come in. To me that is a sign of positive progress (along with this year's defensive improvement) made by CPJ that keeps me optimistic about the future. Folks just need to keep in mind that the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes will not show through next year, so it's still premature to state definitively that recruiting is on the upswing.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What is it that I say that doesn't have merit or don't have bases?
I was a member of gtsportstalk as well as atllove.
Before it's demise I considered this board the "Homer" board in comparison to the other message boards.
I came to this board through Eric after he stated he was started a board to follow recruiting info, since then it's grown. I like it. I miss the X & O post of the other board but that's probably coming. Personally I think opinions on this board need to be more balanced. If you think I'm bad wait till Helluva, AllGT, and others make it to here.

It's not what you guys say, it's the 'way' you say it. You were also encouraged by a sympathetic cynical moderator. From what
I've read here the moderators are diametrically opposite of that ilk. If you got a 'it's all about me chip' on your shoulder you won't find many kindred spirits here. :)

I've not seen any........

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This 2014 recruiting class could end up being the next best class to 2007 that we've seen come in. To me that is a sign of positive progress (along with this year's defensive improvement) made by CPJ that keeps me optimistic about the future. Folks just need to keep in mind that the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes will not show through next year, so it's still premature to state definitively that recruiting is on the upswing.
To piggyback on this point, it's all very encouraging that it comes on the heels of significant changes in how we do business in recruiting from adding coaches who can recruit, to expanding the support staff to changing the focus of who we are going after. I also think we're throwing out way more early offers as well.

I've always maintained that it takes longer to "learn" GT than most places. It's a trial and error process and it take time to do that. Every GT coach I can remember has a had a learning curve from recruiting to dealing with the "Hill" and fanbase. It appears that CPJ has finally made progress in his understanding of what kind of players fit at GT and how to get them to sign up to play here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's not what you guys say, it's the 'way' you say it. You were also encouraged by a sympathetic cynical moderator. From what
I've read here the moderators are diametrically opposite of that ilk. If you got a 'it's all about me chip' on your shoulder you won't find many kindred spirits here. :)

I've not seen any........

Don't forget, I'm the dog, Lex!

Animal02

Banned
I think it all boils down to what are reasonable expectations for our program based on two things:

1. Who we are as an institution (and this is not likely to change any time soon if ever.)

2. The current landscape of college football as big business - a feeder to the NFL and the media machine - which has completely marginalized the "student" part of "student athlete".

adding to #2....It has also marginalized the game day fans / ticket buyers and replaced it with the couch sitter / bar stool "fan"

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'm speaking for myself and myself only. I'm sure @Eric will have his own perspective that he can share here if he wishes. One thing I'll remind everyone of first is that in Eric's first post here, he made a point about the site being open to suggestions. We haven't really gotten much feedback from you guys regarding what you want this site to become. The mods have discussed this internally and have some "what we want to be" ideas, we just haven't been able to execute on them yet.

With that said...a couple of things:

Negativity
I don't mind the negativity. It's going to be part of an open community like this for every loss, especially after a loss to a rival. I think for the most part, we all have been good with keeping our emotions at bay and keeping things civil and I really appreciate that. I don't like the idea of censoring either. So open to suggestions here because announcing that you may only post rational/analytical/knowledgeable/etc. posts will get nowhere fast.

One thing that I've noticed from this past season about the negativity is that they are the loudest and most prevalent after a loss (not surprisingly). So what typically happens is someone will post what I will describe as a "negative" thread then make some points that no one can prove or disprove. Then it eventually becomes a futile back and forth about who is right and who is wrong and this can go on and on because no one wants to be "proven" wrong publicly. I've thought about this some before and eventually accepted that negativity will always be a part of an online community of passionate fans but I would love to be proven wrong here. :)

Analysis
Yesterday, I've been too busy trying to keep the board clean that I haven't had much time to think about what happened with the game. I also prefer the posts that do breakdowns of games, analyzing what we think went wrong, throwing out ideas about what can be improved and how regardless of the fact that what we discuss here will most likely never be translated onto the field. All the talk about firing coaches and trashing players because they missed plays, doesn't really interest me all that much.

I'm really looking forward to the post-game analysis by @Boomergump but we've had some done by other members already (ATL1, gtg936g, Leonard, etc.) Speaking of which... @Longestdays I really liked the scrimmage videos you used to post pre-season. What happened to those? ;)

If anyone wants to (has the time, resource, etc) to do something like this that the UNC site posts for free after every game, please get in touch with me and Eric and we will make it happen.
John been in Court and just got your message.Not trying to be a smart *** but I dont see where pj is being the butt of any undeserved scorn.If you would please take my posts and poingt out where I went wrong according to the rules of the board.If the rules are too tight then I will either conform to them or hit the road..just puzzled since I have been on four tech boards and this has never happened to me before.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
If you would please take my posts and poingt out where I went wrong according to the rules of the board.
Yup, I think you misunderstood the original message so I sent another to clarify since it wouldn't make sense for me to post in public what was removed from public.
If the rules are too tight then I will either conform to them or hit the road
Yes, this is up to everyone to decide on their own. Hope there's no hard feelings either way.
...since I have been on four tech boards and this has never happened to me before.
You may see the same people in discussion but this is different community. What may or may not have happened elsewhere does not influence anything here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think there's enough gt boards out there with different enough personalities that anybody can find a home. Heck, I feel at home on all the boards because they let me express my multiple personalities. :)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This has been an excellent thread and it does have value. Personally, I hope many of the personalities from the other board (previously mentioned) do come over. I miss some of those guys. I am not worried about negative opinions being discussed. I expect to have to defend my position and I think everybody should welcome that burden. My problem comes when certain individuals try to control the narrative with venomous drive by shootings, instead of engaging in thoughtful discourse. For me, how we interact matters the most, not whether the majority is positive or negative. I refuse to participate in a board that behaves like juveniles. I have enough of them in my life already. I come to places like this to discuss a topic that I am passionate about with fellow courteous adults.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What is it that I say that doesn't have merit or don't have bases?
I was a member of gtsportstalk as well as atllove.
Before it's demise I considered this board the "Homer" board in comparison to the other message boards.
I came to this board through Eric after he stated he was started a board to follow recruiting info, since then it's grown. I like it. I miss the X & O post of the other board but that's probably coming. Personally I think opinions on this board need to be more balanced. If you think I'm bad wait till Helluva, AllGT, and others make it to here.
So ATL1 is ATLove. Come to think of it, I never saw the two of them at the same place at the same time. Amazing. I feel like saying welcome, but you have already been over here a lot longer than me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Agree. Without belaboring the point, I think it's fair to say that the 2007 recruiting class led to more clutch moments in 2008 and 2009. I also realize 2007 was an outlier that was not indicative of overall recruiting since the days when we had many more recruiting exceptions.

So true for every class. As someone has said (at least WTTE) - most red shirt juniors and seniors are better than a true freshman.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I tend to be on the Pollyanna side and enjoy looking at the various sides of the discussion. While I can be passionate - and appreciate that in others - it gets ridiculous when it all comes out negative. As some have already pointed out we can all have an opinion, but hopefully we can back up some of the emotions and opinions with fact.

Most everyone on this and TOS's want GT to not only show well, but also win. With that, hopefully most will keep that arguments sane and respectful.

Oh... Merry Christmas to you all this season.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
TBH, I don't care if somebody is negative or positive. I do expect a rational and civil justification of their position though. I like my thoughts to be challenged and welcome it. The flip side of that is that I like to dig deeper than throw out platitudes and as a result challenge others' opinions.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone using the term "Johnsonians" need to be banned from the get go.

LOL, that really got my guff. The poster that used it the most would swear up and down it wasn't meant to be negative too. Been lost for the last two weeks without some football talk. Glad I found this place...

Animal02

Banned
LOL, that really got my guff. The poster that used it the most would swear up and down it wasn't meant to be negative too. Been lost for the last two weeks without some football talk. Glad I found this place...

Yeah....it took me about two weeks before cheese pointed me here. I too was lost. :)

I am now off to get my football fix.......going to the B10 championship game. My wife won VIP tickets.......40 yard line on the MSU side, row 19. Should be a good game. I will likely be the only person wearing a GT sweatshirt. The yellow should stick out in the crowd. :woot:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
So ATL1 is ATLove. Come to think of it, I never saw the two of them at the same place at the same time. Amazing. I feel like saying welcome, but you have already been over here a lot longer than me.

Thanks Boom, I think I may be an original member of this board. I came here one Eric tweeted (remember that post on gtsportstalk) that he was starting a board. Cool site Glad you here to add some levity and your awesome insight on the x&o side.