What is Brent Key’s floor, and what is his ceiling.

CBK 2023 Campaign Floor and Ceiling - You Can Vote Twice

• Total voters

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Here’s each Tech coaches’ best and worst year. What do y’all think Key will do with us? Personally I can see him being good and at least getting us back to regularly making bowls. What about y’all?

Hiesman (1904-1919)
BEST- 1917 (9-0, #1)
WORST- 1907 (4-4)

Alexander (1920-1945)
BEST- 1928 (10-0, #1)
WORST- 1934 (1-9)

Dodd (1945-1966)
BEST- 1952 (12-0, #1)
WORST- 1945 (4-6)
What is remarkable about this list is that from 1904 to 1966, GT had 3 coaches.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's no reason Tech can't be built up at least to the level of Dave Doeren's NC State or Narduzzi's Pitt. Winning 8+ games regularly.

With the 12 team playoff coming. I think in a special year, Tech could win 10 or 11 in the regular season. Go to the ACC championship game and make it into the first or second round of the playoffs. Tech probably would have been in a 12 team playoff, had it existed, in 98, 2009 and 2014. So, ceiling: 14-2

Floor is 3-9, IMHO. Injurie-plagued nightmare season.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
There's no reason Tech can't be built up at least to the level of Dave Doeren's NC State or Narduzzi's Pitt. Winning 8+ games regularly.

With the 12 team playoff coming. I think in a special year, Tech could win 10 or 11 in the regular season. Go to the ACC championship game and make it into the first or second round of the playoffs. Tech probably would have been in a 12 team playoff, had it existed, in 98, 2009 and 2014. So, ceiling: 14-2

Floor is 3-9, IMHO. Injurie-plagued nightmare season.
I 100% agree that this is realistic for GT. I only hope that this is also realistic for CBK.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’d give him a 5% shot at winning an ACC title in the next 5 years. 7th-10th should be our average finish in the ACC, especially with (presently) the second toughest permanent opponent lineup IMO. NC State got Clemson, UNC, and Duke which is absolutely brutal if Elko continues to build momentum. They will be lucky to go 4-4 many years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really think Key will at minimum have us going to regular bowl games again. His ceiling will depend on how much GTAA will invest in the FB program. Key can have a "mini Bama" type program. Have a playing philosophy, but bring in good assistant coaches that dovetail into the playing philosophy. They will most likely get poached if GT does well, but it will be up to Key (and GTAA $$$) to replace them.

I'll be interested to see who Key brings in for OC. If I'm Batt, I give Key a BIG budget for OC and let him start his GT HFC tenure with a good offense and an improving defense. This team could have won 7-8 games this season if we had a better offense to go with Thacker's much improved defense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Before I answer this, let it be known to all that I am REALLY EXCITED about Key as HC.

That being said, this question might not have an obvious answer right now. As has been said, recent history would say 5 wins as a floor and maybe 10-11 wins as a ceiling, with the possibility of a really special year every now and then.

What we don't know, and have no past history to guide us, is how exactly Key is going to build this team. We don't know how well his to be assembled staff will recruit. We don't even know what kind of offense we will be running yet. I don't think we will know for a couple of years how good he will or won't be, but I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
1670296638662.png

6-10 wins should be the typical range with eight being the most frequently occurring.