What if Quincy Carter came to GT ??

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The hype around QC was huge then. He just won the state title and was the biggest name in the state at the time.
How would have that changed the fortunes of GT?
Would he have stayed straight under the eye of O'Leary and his high school coach Godfrey near by.
Would Joe have been recruited?
I wonder if he ever thinks about this himself.
Just a cool topic I'd thought about.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The hype around QC was huge then. He just won the state title and was the biggest name in the state at the time.
How would have that changed the fortunes of GT?
Would he have stayed straight under the eye of O'Leary and his high school coach Godfrey near by.
Would Joe have been recruited?
I wonder if he ever thinks about this himself.
Just a cool topic I'd thought about.

I was a freshmen when our team played QC and SW Dekalb in the first round of the playoffs. He was a senior. To this day, I've never seen a person throw a football that hard, fast, and accurate in person at that age. Dude was a supremely gifted.

Of course, because QC never enrolled here it lead to the rise of Joe Hamilton. I think in the end GT got the better deal.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a freshmen when our team played QC and SW Dekalb in the first round of the playoffs. He was a senior. To this day, I've never seen a person throw a football that hard, fast, and accurate in person at that age. Dude was a supremely gifted.

Of course, because QC never enrolled here it lead to the rise of Joe Hamilton. I think in the end GT got the better deal.
Understatement of the day, at least.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Would have things changed if he was at Tech?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I personally am glad he did not. I was never a big fan of him and that had little to do with UGA. I just didn't think he was a heady QB.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Grew up playing baseball at Gresham Park with him (well he was a couple of years older than I was so I mostly saw him play against my brother for years). Was always the biggest, fastest kid that could throw the ball the hardest and hit the ball the farthest. His downfall came because everyone coddled him at an early age and let him get his way with everything because of his superior athletic ability. It's a lesson that I try and teach my baseball players and my students about having personal accountability, despite how smart you are or how talented you are.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
QC was an absolute stud all the way around. I played baseball against him as a senior and he was too in a high school all star tournament held at Kennesaw State that season. Not only was QC a stud Patrick Pass was also on the same all star team as QC man that team was stacked. With that being said we had a pretty good baseball player of our on on the Northeast Georgia team named Jake Westbrook who has made a pretty nice career of his own im the majors, but the game we played them they pretty much hammered us! LOL I do wonder what would have happened with QC but I couldnt have been any happier than I was with Joe.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Makes you wonder doesn't it? I'd guess that #14 lil' Joe most likely would not be in the CFHOF with a GT jersey...
GOL still would have stretched his resume and tried to go to Notre Dame...

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I rather think that Fridge would have run the delinquent off.

You gotta have discipline to play for Ralph and despite his talent, Carter had no discipline.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Grew up playing baseball at Gresham Park with him (well he was a couple of years older than I was so I mostly saw him play against my brother for years). Was always the biggest, fastest kid that could throw the ball the hardest and hit the ball the farthest. His downfall came because everyone coddled him at an early age and let him get his way with everything because of his superior athletic ability. It's a lesson that I try and teach my baseball players and my students about having personal accountability, despite how smart you are or how talented you are.

Funny, I played at Midway back in the day. Hated you Rattlers (isn't that what it was?).

Good point on the coddling aspect. It's the downfall of many athletes and a reason why GT struggles to recruit them. You gotta want to work to make it at GT. Most of them haven't had to work for much since the peewee days.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the effort ATL, but I don't even want to think about it. Li'l Joe holds such a dear place in my heart. It is almost like wondering what if I got my last girlfriend pregnant before I met my wonderful wife of 29 years? I don't want to go there. It may have been close to happening (Quincy), but it didn't. Thank God it didn't.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would have things changed if he was at Tech?

Pure speculation by me (obviously), but I'm not sure Joe Hamilton beats out Quincy Carter in the end. People forget that QC actually had a decent career at UGA outside of his last year when he was injured. I think the combination of his pure physical talent and Friedgen's coaching could have been lethal. It may have been the career Donnie Davis signed up for until Bill Lewis showed up. QC had his off the field problems for the Cowboys, but at the end of the day he was talented enough to get drafted in the 2nd round even after a missing games his last season at UGA.

Also remember, Joe had a rough start here. Had QC not played pro baseball first and came here directly from HS, he would have competed with Joe for the starting spot as a true Freshmen and Joe would have been a RFr. I'm not sure the coaching staff stays with Joe as long as they did had QC been there.

At the end of the day, I really think it worked out best for both parties. QC got a nice signing bonus, delayed enrollment to play baseball, and went on to start for 3 years at UGA. Had he come here after playing baseball, he would have sat behind Joe Hamilton since by that time Joe was established (and one of the reasons why QC he didn't want to come here).

We all know what happened with Joe...and now he's a HOF'er!

Ramblinwreck1991

Georgia Tech Fan
He was a great great high school player but if he came there would have been no Hamilton... So that pretty much eliminates Quincy but no question he was a talent for sw dekalb

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny, I played at Midway back in the day. Hated you Rattlers (isn't that what it was?).

Good point on the coddling aspect. It's the downfall of many athletes and a reason why GT struggles to recruit them. You gotta want to work to make it at GT. Most of them haven't had to work for much since the peewee days.

Played against Midway, Gresham Park and Glenwood for years. Played Glenwood in the Bobby Dodd Bowl one year. Love hearing those names. I was a Blackwell Bear.