what if cpj had hired cgc as d co ordinator

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I like both coaches, but that would have been oil and water. If CGC muted his personality a bit and just coached the defense, we may have seen some improvement on that side. But CPJ wouldn't have cut him loose to do his thing and I doubt he would have wanted the job.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think the better scenario might have been instead of retiring, CPJ just wanted to take a step down and became the OC and CGC became the HC. CGC would still be able to have control over branding, recruiting, defense, special teams etc while CPJ just toyed with the Offense. Would CGC’s branding be successful with the T.O.? It doesn’t matter because this scenario would never happen.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I get the feeling when we hired Roof that CGC at least contacted us. There were some comments "I remember him, not sure whether he remembers me" that kind of insinuates it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
instead of all the failures we had during his tenure? would that marriage have worked or not worked?. would recruiting have gotten better? would paul have given cgc leeway on the recruiting branding etc?

would we have won more games?
Most definitely. Way better hire than roof who was forced into CPJ.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
CGC plenty proved his worth as a DC at previous stops, and the eye test clearly demonstrates the Clemson stats aren't worth judging on.

However, some of the comments that came from staff during the off season have illustrated to me that any DC was facing an uphill battle under CPJ, and that old adage against practicing against the option comes back. I didn't buy into it then, especially given the scout team running different stuff, but in reality they just couldn't replicate the routes and reads and speed of a real opponent. I think that's the biggest reason all the DCs ended up in a soft zone coverage. We just couldn't give the DBs enough looks at what they'd be facing to do an anything different.

In the end, I'm sure CGC would have been successful, but I think he'll do much better as HC in a few years than ever as DC alone.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
instead of all the failures we had during his tenure? would that marriage have worked or not worked?. would recruiting have gotten better? would paul have given cgc leeway on the recruiting branding etc?

would we have won more games?
I think out D is pretty bad ***

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
At the end of the day CPJ Triple Option slowly started to chip away at the player base here. It was 100% due to his views on recruiting and also players desire's to play in something that actually gives them opportunities down the road. CGC even if given the reins on recruiting in a perfect scenario would only be able to do some much on recruiting offensive players and Defensively while may seen some important wouldn't have been as great as what we've seen so far this year. I currently expect based on where we are now at Top 30 recruiting class this year and believe we got a shot at a Top 20 class next off-season which considering where we came from is pretty impressive. If our Secondary keeps playing like they are your going to have CBs/Safties beating at the door to come here.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think the better scenario might have been instead of retiring, CPJ just wanted to take a step down and became the OC and CGC became the HC. CGC would still be able to have control over branding, recruiting, defense, special teams etc while CPJ just toyed with the Offense. Would CGC’s branding be successful with the T.O.? It doesn’t matter because this scenario would never happen.

Given that a huge aspect of the branding is getting away from the old offense, you're right that it never would have happened. Scheme change was priority 1 from the get go. Wouldn't have been fair to either of them, anyway.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, CGC could look at the current year situation 2 different ways:

1. He could think that he needs to win more games this year and to do that, we need to incorporate more options principles/plays into the offensive game plan. (explain to recruits that this is "transitional" to provide more competitiveness)
2. Keep doing what we are doing, and hopefully magic will occur and we get better at it. Now, CGC knows he is safe this year, so hear me out. If he only wins 3-5 games this year, would that not set him up for success next year at the 6-8 win level? I almost think by continuing to try to do something our current talent is not suited for, you are basically setting yourself up for a low win year, but maybe that is the best thing. As a fan, it will be painful if this is true.

So, as it impacts recruiting, he is having to basically weigh out having more chance to win this year (maybe doing more on O that this O-line and talent is better suited for) OR showing the new recruits that he is "committed" to another offensive philosophy. Personally, I would rather do #1 above if I was him, and then explain to the recruits "why" we are doing it. He is not in an enviable position, in my opinion.

Last edited:

GT_EE78

Banned
Isn't that a lot like asking "What if" Napolean had sherman tanks at battle of Waterloo?
Sounds great until you remember there was no gas back then

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
What if we had hired Saban or Dabo instead of Collins?

What if Clemson decided to start their baseball team instead if their football team?

Etc

Etc

This can go on for ever...like the discussion of CPJ. He retired last year, let...it....go....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But what if CGC hired CPJ as his OC?

coat.gif

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
CGC plenty proved his worth as a DC at previous stops, and the eye test clearly demonstrates the Clemson stats aren't worth judging on.

However, some of the comments that came from staff during the off season have illustrated to me that any DC was facing an uphill battle under CPJ, and that old adage against practicing against the option comes back. I didn't buy into it then, especially given the scout team running different stuff, but in reality they just couldn't replicate the routes and reads and speed of a real opponent. I think that's the biggest reason all the DCs ended up in a soft zone coverage. We just couldn't give the DBs enough looks at what they'd be facing to do an anything different.

In the end, I'm sure CGC would have been successful, but I think he'll do much better as HC in a few years than ever as DC alone.
Army seems to have had a very good defense the last 2 seasons. Held top 10 team Michigan to 14 points in regulation on Saturday, and should've had the win (UM had a fake punt, intercepted a pass with Army inside the 5, and Army missed a makable FG with time expiring, UM won in OT on a fumble by Army). Their DC was seen as very innovative last year, interviewed by multiple sports media outlets, and was hired away by someone (UNC, maybe??).

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I'm not certain how makeable I would call a 52 yard field goal by a true freshman kicker - which is his first ever collegiate field goal attempt by the way... That is a lot to ask... Army definitely did have some chances, though...