What I look for this week vs VT

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think we are going to see the GT of old per say..I expect us to line up and run our bread and butter majority of the time. A lot of more basic option plays.

Another thing I expect is the WR's to have a good day...I like Darren Waller, Smelter and the crew vs the two true Freshman CB's for VT no matter how good they have been.

Expecting a lot of energy and effort from the team.

And Bobby Dodd better be rocking.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Everyone seems to be worried about the injured players and their absence. I will take the 11 defensive players on the field against NC in the 2nd half. They threw a goose egg to NC.

It is really difficult to be better than that.

ToddM

I expect a more controlled game. By that I mean CPJ is going to call plays and Lee will have less options to check out of the call.

CPJ will still open this up. Lee will be running more but he will be passing more also, just in a more controlled or designed format. No more checking out by Lee. If the play is a dive and Lee has a 12 man front he can check but not much more than that.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I expect a more controlled game. By that I mean CPJ is going to call plays and Lee will have less options to check out of the call.

CPJ will still open this up. Lee will be running more but he will be passing more also, just in a more controlled or designed format. No more checking out by Lee. If the play is a dive and Lee has a 12 man front he can check but not much more than that.
I like that CPJ is doing this I think Vad will play faster and not have to worry about making difficult reads on a strong Bud Foster defense. I think this could potentially be Vads coming out party on a big national stage. I can't wait for Thursday, I'm going and it's going to be one hell of a ride!! WE CAN DO THAT!!

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Kyle Fuller is one hell of a CB and I expect him to be coming down hard and aggressive. Vads gonna have to hurt them with his arm to open up the offense against this defense.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
He is listed at 6'0 195. Their DLine and Linebackers look a little on the lightweight side on paper. I'm curious if we try to pound it up the middle more?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Didn't they do something similar like this last year?
I'm not sure, but if we move the ball on them it should boost our confidence because this is one of the best defenses in the country. Thankfully their offense is not up to par. I feel like we should out score them.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
He is listed at 6'0 195. Their DLine and Linebackers look a little on the lightweight side on paper. I'm curious if we try to pound it up the middle more?

They are always light. They've started several OLBs in recent years that were as low as 200/205 IIRC. They are well coached and can run.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Didn't they do something similar like this last year?
Yes. Many teams do this against us. They want their fastest players out there. Containing the option on the second level is more about speed and agility than size and strength. You'll sometimes see guys who aren't normally starters as starters against us because of their different skill set.

I don't think you'll see the DL's change because the same guys who can stuff the run and rush the passer on the DL are the same guys you want doing that against us. But, for the second level guys, it's not about beating a head to head block but about outrunning the guy and/or being agile enough to defeat the cut block.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I know they have done this in the past. But what I am saying is they look much lighter overall than in years past. Even without the position changes due to facing our offense.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So for those of us who are ignorant like myself, what is the adjustment we make to counter the smaller/quicker LBs? Do we just man up and live and die by the dive, or something else?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Did anyone see the 747 flyover during the UNC game? Not sure what that was about but boy was it low and boy was it awesome.
I didn't see that. Not sure how I would've missed it, as I was in the stands from about 10:30AM to the end.