What happened?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
VT was a thorough beatdown but we looked like we were confused, lost and couldn’t do basic, rudimentary football stuff.

Ima breakdown a few plays on offense show why Saturday was a day to forget

Blocking:
This is so bad. This is a day 1 install play
outside split zone. This one play sets up 5-10 other plays. Problem is 3 different positions groups are doing 3 opposite things.

Let’s start with the OLine. Quinney has a defender on his outside shoulder and should be fighting to get his helmet across the defender chest. Instead e blocks down and leaves a unblocked defender

-or-

This was a read option and James missed the read for what appears to be for a big gain.

giphy.gif

Perimeter blocking. This may be the 2nd biggest thing we’ve regressed in. We are atrocious blocking on the edge. To see a 250lb TE get physically beat and on a block is disheartening.
giphy.gif

OL: Graham can’t even complete his play fake before there is pressure. I must admit, Southers did a great job blocking Casper on this play. His defender is no where in sight. I’ve never seen a pro where a Tackle didn’t block anyone
giphy.gif

It took us 9 games to figure out how to move the pocket. At least we finally figured out what your average armchair QB knew since the 77th anniversary of the day that will live in infamy.

giphy.gif

Bad decision making.

Hit the flat or throw the ball away.

Creative chaos
giphy.gif

Patenaude attempted to give an unscouted look and we bombed it
1) This play had disaster written all over it. Instead of spreading out, VT defense compressed and brought nearly 8 guys to the LOS. This had a high a chance for a TFL. Not sure what happened to Lay, but Scott Morgan was at Center on this play

1st time i felt we really regressed in the process and not sure where everyone mind is now and definitely this past weekend. Let’s hope we bounce back Thursday night with a packed.

I’ll do some defensive plays later on

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for using such a low number of examples. I think the pregame juice was laced with something.

I will say, VT did a good job game planning against our defense. Baited us into a lot of over pursuit and consistently were ready to snap the ball before we could line up.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that first play is an inverted veer where Graham botched the read. Also the center trying to block the mike brings back nightmares from the past 5 seasons.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
VT was a thorough beatdown but we looked like we were confused, lost and couldn’t do basic, rudimentary football stuff.

Blocking:
outside split zone. This one play sets up 5-10 other plays. Problem is 3 different positions groups are doing 3 opposite things.

Let’s start with the OLine. Quinney has a defender on his outside shoulder and should be fighting to get his helmet across the defender chest. Instead e blocks down and leaves a unblocked defender

-or-

This was a read option and James missed the read for what appears to be for a big gain.

giphy.gif

Perimeter blocking. This may be the 2nd biggest thing we’ve regressed in. We are atrocious blocking on the edge. To see a 250lb TE get physically beat and on a block is disheartening.
giphy.gif

OL: Graham can’t even complete his play fake before there is pressure. I must admit, Southers did a great job blocking Casper on this play. His defender is no where in sight. I’ve never seen a pro where a Tackle didn’t block anyone
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Bad decision making.

Creative chaos
giphy.gif

1) This play had disaster written all over it. Instead of spreading out, VT defense compressed and brought nearly 8 guys to the LOS. This had a high a chance for a TFL. Not sure what happened to Lay, but Scott Morgan was at Center on this play

1st time i felt we really regressed in the process and not sure where everyone mind is now and definitely this past weekend. Let’s hope we bounce back Thursday night with a packed.

I enjoy your break downs, I really do but is it necessary to continue to torture us with an analysis of the defense as well? The poor blocking is what depresses me more than anything. A tight end that can't block on the perimeter is just about useless. Most of this is not due to talent or injuries but a lack of want to. We had plays with linemen standing around having not blocked anyone, seemingly not even slowed them down during the jailbreak. Sad

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I enjoy your break downs, I really do but is it necessary to continue to torture us with an analysis of the defense as well? The poor blocking is what depresses me more than anything. A tight end that can't block on the perimeter is just about useless. Most of this is not due to talent or injuries but a lack of want to. We had plays with linemen standing around having not blocked anyone, seemingly not even slowed them down during the jailbreak. Sad

My blood pressure may not be able to handle watch the defense again

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It didn't appear that anyone was ready for the game.(coach or player) The first example of looking "confused, lost and couldn't do basic, rudimentary football stuff" was getting a delay of game penalty before the first play of the game. All the way down coach to player, you can't let that happen. I don't remember much after that issue that gave me any sense that they were more on attuned to the game, but that might just be selective apathy from frustration.

Hopefully they look like a football team Thursday night. I will be there cheering.

Milwaukee

Banned
Thank you for using such a low number of examples. I think the pregame juice was laced with something.

I will say, VT did a good job game planning against our defense. Baited us into a lot of over pursuit and consistently were ready to snap the ball before we could line up.

The fact that we didn’t key on their backup qb on the playfakes was infuriating. If Joe Schmo on the couch knows he’s keeping it and running then why the hell didn’t our defensive staff and players? Oh well, on to NCSt.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
On the first play, do you think it could have been a read option misread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The blocking is definitely there for it. Pulling TE, and lineman getting up field to get LBs.

Blocking:

-or-

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Bad decision making.

Creative chaos
giphy.gif

On the third play, I have no idea how we just let the left DE thorugh like that. If he is blocked, JG would have had plenty of space to step up in the pocket and the right DE take himself out of the play. We aren't good enough to just turn guys loose.

On the fourth play, in Bud Foster's post game press conference he said they knew the play was coming and blitzed that side and rolled coverage there. Seems like pretty unfortunate timing. I agree we have to throw it away there.

On the fifth, at least we're trying. I'd prefer we use Oliver as our wildcat guy, because at least there is a greater than 0% chance he throws. I certainly don't mind Mason in the role though given how tough a runner he is. I think this is the type of play where having better athletes will help. The center seems to be so worried about making his block that he fails to snap. This seemed to be the equivalent of a WR turning his head upfield before securing the catch first.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I just hate the way our coaches are instructing our players to throw interceptions, botch snaps and, above all else, get beat by better athletes. You'd think that their job wasn't dependent upon guys who legally can't drink a beer making mistakes when being taught something new.

The last month on this board has been brutal. I live in the heart of sidewalk uga fandom and proudly carry my GT loving head high. Even though I played basketball, and coached it, I have seen improvement from the USF game to last Saturday night, even if it was PH3 getting his longest punt of the season. For you who don't see it, it is either that you refuse to see it (whether it's over CPJ leaving or the juice crew or 404 or whatever) or you just don't fully understand the special thing that is happening here. It is easy to criticize, especially when we just completely came out and laid an egg, but better days are coming.

We should've beat the Citadel, Pitt and Virginia and could've beaten UNC and boom we are bowl eligible. I fully believe we will beat NC ST this Thursday night, which would make 7 wins. But in reality, we are looking at 4 wins (I just really hate uga and hope we beat them like usc east did). But you know what, regardless, my big butt will be at Bobby Dodd in section 121 Thursday and the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Next year, I will be in the stadium, just not sure where until the new prices come out. You will see GT and Buzz and AT Fund stickers on my car. I'm a sidewalk Tech fan. But I love my Jackets as if I walked that campus for 4 years in college.

You make the decision now...fully get behind this team (yes, coaches are part of the team as is the juice crew) and show them that you love them, OR in 3 years don't try to start trying to wave your GT flag when we start shocking people!

See you guys Thursday Night!!!!!!
Go Jackets and, as always, To Hell With georgia and piss on 'em doggies!!!!

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Earlier this year I commented about how regardless of the results this team always gave everything from the first whistle to the last. I feel like that was the case until this last game. They just looked unprepared and felt like they just gave up. Hopefully this was just an off week and they get their act together before Thursday. NCSt is a very beatable team if we come out playing like we did against UVA.

Jmonty71

Banned

Blocking:

-or-

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Bad decision making.

Creative chaos
giphy.gif

You seriously could of picked half the plays we did. So, thanks for keeping the pain to a low point. It was one of the ugliest games I ever witnessed.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This game was bad across the board: O,D,ST but after watching tape- this was absolutely horrible play by the OL

The right side of the OL play has been atrocious all season. And our armchair ADs want to blame the OC. Until the OL improves, we will struggle to score points.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This game was bad across the board: O,D,ST but after watching tape- this was absolutely horrible play by the OL

The right side of the OL play has been atrocious all season. And our armchair ADs want to blame the OC. Until the OL improves, we will struggle to score points.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Off chance that the Mason direct snap was a pass. The OL pass set and Mason has a pretty good arm. Not a great scheme since they just manned up, which we could have gotten going to five wides with our QB taking the snap.

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This on-off, on-off BS is hard to take. I thought the HYPE/JUICE was part of this teams composition regardless of talent disparity. Coming out FLAT and STAYING flat was disheartening. Hope Yates has a lot of playing time against NCSt, need to see what he can do.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
On the fourth play, in Bud Foster's post game press conference he said they knew the play was coming and blitzed that side and rolled coverage there. Seems like pretty unfortunate timing. I agree we have to throw it away there.

Not surprising. I called this play from the north after the deep punt. We’ve run in 4 or 5 times this year as the first play of a drive when we are backed up. By my count we have 1 completion for 3 yards. 1 incomplete. 1 pick 6. 2 offensive pass interferences.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Ibeeballin Thanks for the painful recap.

Well boys you shouldn’t cry over spilt milk. Need to get our asses in gear and beat the Pack.

I was afraid after the Vag post-game press conference. I believe we’ll see the measure of the man on Thurs. Let’s hope we have a leader of men and not something else.