What happened to Whitehead?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
havent seen him play any. Is he hurt or just not playing?

Late in the games Whitehead is subbing in on kick off coverage and playing some DE (in both games). Right now IMO he is the #6 DE behind Freeman, Chungong, Simmons, St Amour, and Stargel (#4 rush DE)....not counting Gamble who I believe is now more destined to stay at DT since according to CPJ he is more natural there and I also believe there is enough improvement from Chungong and Simmons (and even St Amour) at DE. Gamble may see special duty at SDE in some circumstances but he plays better and is needed at DT.

DE position has a lot of quality competition for PT and Whitehead is in a situation where it is tough for him to get on the field as long as we are healthy at DE.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Unrealistic expectations, IMO. People wanted to believe he was going to come in and instantly fix our pass rush. Now that he's not instantly in the mix he's "a disappointment".

He is still only about 217 lbs and needs to add more weight. He can still be a player but really he needs to physically develop. I wouldn't give up on him yet or criticize him unduly. I am sure he's working as best he can.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Late in the games Whitehead is subbing in on kick off coverage and playing some DE (in both games). Right now IMO he is the #6 DE behind Freeman, Chungong, Simmons, St Amour, and Stargel (#4 rush DE)....not counting Gamble who I believe is now more destined to stay at DT since according to CPJ he is more natural there and I also believe there is enough improvement from Chungong and Simmons (and even St Amour) at DE. Gamble may see special duty at SDE in some circumstances but he plays better and is needed at DT.

DE position has a lot of quality competition for PT and Whitehead is in a situation where it is tough for him to get on the field as long as we are healthy at DE.

I think this is right, but I also wonder if Kallon is just not giving what we need for a 3 person rotation at DT.