What happened to pass pro today?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Not much to see here. You can tell the OTs are not fundamentally sound when it comes to pass pro. I'm so tired of sewaks weak lines

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I told folks before the season pass pro was going to be the issue with the passing game. We replaced a lot of our line and that never portends well for pass pro.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ga Southern = Tulane pass rush??

But VT pass rush >> Tulane. We'll need quick short routes against VT which should be possible to complete. I think our being competitive in the game will depend on this.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Pass protection will never be good with this offense. Wide OL splits and small OT's that are for second level run blocking.

It is what it is.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pass protection will never be good with this offense. Wide OL splits and small OT's that are for second level run blocking.
I was watching the OSU-VPI game and they were talking about the wide splits Urban Meyer uses in his Spread Option offense and how that wasn't necessarily a bad thing for pass protection. Obviously, if the smaller OT's can handle the bullrush of the bigger DE, they should do fine. Their fleet footedness should handle the speed rush better. It's all about leverage. I think the smaller OT would handle someone like Clowney or JA better than the big lumbering OT.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing I noticed from the upper north against Wofford was how we pulled the splits in for the two minute drill portion of the offense that we ran that day. It helped. I just watched the Tulane film. I don't think the protection was THAT bad in New Orleans. The closest they got to him was one guy falling into his leg on a wheel route. IMHO the protection looks better this year. Burden moves his feet well. Griffin is pretty long and handles his guys OK. In any case, with our normal splits and three point stances with butts in the air, we aren't going to be able to give JT a well formed pocket all the time and 5 seconds to throw. That is OK too because his game is all about getting out of the pocket and scanning and throwing on the move. Heck, did you see some of the gaping holes on the QB draws yesterday? We are not that bad in this area. The amount of throwing we did wasn't really a function of protection as much as it was the depth of their players on defense. There was a reason our RBs weren't touched most of the time until they were 5+ yards into the run. If I was OC, I would have done the same thing as CPJ. (Well, maybe a few more midlines)

Matt E

GT Athlete
I watched the tackles in particular during obvious passing downs and the O Linemen remained in 3 point stances with a lot of weight on their hand. For the life of me I don't understand why on these types of downs we don't put our guys in a 2 point stance. I understand the need to "sell the run", but everyone in the stadium knows a pass is coming. On that note, we could run a draw every so often with linemen in that type of stance. Whatever happened to that draw play we ran a TON with Dwyer? It always got great yardage.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched the tackles in particular during obvious passing downs and the O Linemen remained in 3 point stances with a lot of weight on their hand. For the life of me I don't understand why on these types of downs we don't put our guys in a 2 point stance. I understand the need to "sell the run", but everyone in the stadium knows a pass is coming. On that note, we could run a draw every so often with linemen in that type of stance. Whatever happened to that draw play we ran a TON with Dwyer? It always got great yardage.
I love that play. When we get another Dwyer with vision at BB we'll run it some more I'm sure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do we run a play where we don't ride the BB into the mesh...instead the BB directly goes out to block on the perimeter and the QB options with the motioned AB? Kinda like the speed option but with the motion AB and the BB as an extra blocker on the perimeter.

Would love to see JT and Zennon optioning on the perimeter...winner breaks one for a long TD.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do we run a play where we don't ride the BB into the mesh...instead the BB directly goes out to block on the perimeter and the QB options with the motioned AB? Kinda like the speed option but with the motion AB and the BB as an extra blocker on the perimeter.

Would love to see JT and Zennon optioning on the perimeter...winner breaks one for a long TD.
Sure. Load option I think it is called by some. We destroyed Kansas with this play repeatedly in that thrashing we gave them a couple years ago. In fact, I think we saw it yesterday if I am not mistaken.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sure. Load option I think it is called by some. We destroyed Kansas with this play repeatedly in that thrashing we gave them a couple years ago. In fact, I think we saw it yesterday if I am not mistaken.

Thanks, Boomer. Wasn't sure what it was called. Looked it up on youtube after your post: