What happened on Georgia Tech’s failed fake punt

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So in the last 2 games we have given up 2 KO returns for TDs.

We have called a badly schemed fake punt at a poor point on the field.

And, if our HC is to be believed, we practice S/Ts more than any school in the country.

If he is correct about the practice time, there can be no further proof of the now failed efforts of his regime.

Coach is still under some delusion that his O genius will overcome all else on the field.

He is wrong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just a 4th down on our own 28, it was a 4th and long. The gap WAS there, but if you look at the last picture above, there is a guy coming to help, and a second who was defeating a block. That would have been 2 defenders ready to meet him in that big gap...around about the 30 yard line. He still would have needed to make another 5 yards.

There were multiple reasons this was a dumb call.

We already had gotten 2 horrible late hit calls that served to put our defense back on their heels a bit. Yet we were only down 7-0. There was no reason to take a chance on making it any worse.
Yes. The only complaint I have about the call is that we had to get 7 for a first. From the last photo, we could have made that if Antwan had followed Brant. The guy defeating the block would have been caught in the trash from Kerr's block. The guy running parallel to the line would have been too far in to make the play if the corner is turned and, finally, Brant would only have to chip the safety. But I wouldn't have called this play with so much yardage to make. Normally, we don't do this unless we have 3 or less and I think that should be - and probably will be going forward - a bright line rule.

As to Coach taking risks: used to be people here were cool with that because they liked it after watching Chan take absolutely zero risks for his entire time at Tech. Those going after Coach for this decision need to make up your mind.

Deleted member 2897

Yes. The only complaint I have about the call is that we had to get 7 for a first. From the last photo, we could have made that if Antwan had followed Brant. The guy defeating the block would have been caught in the trash from Kerr's block. The guy running parallel to the line would have been too far in to make the play if the corner is turned and, finally, Brant would only have to chip the safety. But I wouldn't have called this play with so much yardage to make. Normally, we don't do this unless we have 3 or less and I think that should be - and probably will be going forward - a bright line rule.

As to Coach taking risks: used to be people here were cool with that because they liked it after watching Chan take absolutely zero risks for his entire time at Tech. Those going after Coach for this decision need to make up your mind.

I agree with all this until the end. 4th and 7 from your own 28 in the first quarter when your offense hasn’t been getting first downs is not taking calculated risks. I think most people who want more risk taking are okay with a 4th and 7 from the other team’s 40, or a 4th and 2 from our 40...or something like that.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s still a bad call. Even assuming a fake at this point makes sense, because of the surprise factor, a much better call would have been a play which had a high chance of getting the first down, but also had a significant chance of getting a huge chunk of yards or even a TD. The possibility of assuring points using the surprise factor by getting into field goal range with the fake may have been worth it. Instead, this play had the ball being carried by a defenseive player who was clearly not a great runner and would likely get about 10 yards in the best case scenario.

The only way it is redeeming is if CPJ wants our opponents to be constantly worried about a fake punt in random situations for the rest of the season, and is hoping that will result in poorer punt returns by our opponents. But I’m not sure it will make all that much of a difference.

Well...two things. 1) Just exactly what is the high percentage first down play on 4th and 7 that also has a significant chance of getting huge chunk yards or even a TD? Roll out screen pass maybe? I don't know, I think the play we ran was up there in percentage of getting the first down and retaining possession given Pitt's alignment without tipping our hat or showing our hand. If we had put in the players likely to execute such a play, it more than likely would have caused Pitt to call time out or adjust their alignment. Regardless, it was definitely a risky move, so maybe you have a point there. Get a burner on the edge and somebody who can throw it in the wedge, if Pitt doesn't adjust, go for it, if they do adjust, punt the ball. Drawback of course being that the personnel you put in capable of executing the 4th and 7 chunk TD play capable of blocking the rush trying to block the punt if you call it off.

2) Assuring points using the surprise factor to get into FG range? Have you seen our field goal tries? I'm betting Paul is considering going for it on 4th and anything outside the 15 and inside the 35 moving forward. Change "assure" to "slim possibility" and that's a good point.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It was a horrible call, it felt unnecessarily desperate at the beginning of the game. And I just can’t understand not at least giving the ball to someone with some speed and natural ball running ability, like BJS

AugustaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Generally speaking, and like everyone else, I didn't like the call. Too early and terrible field position. I suppose had it worked it wouldn't be so bad regardless of what happened after, but if somehow they convert and then end up scoring it looks like a genius call.

There appeared to be come lineup confusion by the upbacks/shield guys which one doesn't normally see. I wonder if that helped tip Pitt off at all.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all this until the end. 4th and 7 from your own 28 in the first quarter when your offense hasn’t been getting first downs is not taking calculated risks. I think most people who want more risk taking are okay with a 4th and 7 from the other team’s 40, or a 4th and 2 from our 40...or something like that.
I didn't like the call either; too risky. But some here are making this into a general sin rather then a momentary screw-up.

I might also add that it is just when your offense isn't making progress that such a call is in order. It's like a bunt single against Clayton Kershaw; true, you probably won't succeed, but you have to try to get a base runner. But not in with two outs.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WHY WHY WHY? would you have DE running with the ball. I can almost guarantee you that NOBODY would have noticed if a Bback or Swilling would be in that place to run. TERRIBLE..

Animal02

Banned
I didn't like the call either; too risky. But some here are making this into a general sin rather then a momentary screw-up.

I might also add that it is just when your offense isn't making progress that such a call is in order. It's like a bunt single against Clayton Kershaw; true, you probably won't succeed, but you have to try to get a base runner. But not in with two outs.
Maybe it is something in the water in Pittsburgh. Two years ago he gave them a short field to win the game going for it on fourth.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm less irritated about the call then the execution. Like so much Saturday, we don't look like a team that is ready to start the season. Way too much we just don't have down yet. Had the guy run to the right spot, chances are we wouldn't be griping about the call.