What GT does - Pass Blocking

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If 70% of the top 10 is still the same teams (they aren't, but we'll pretend anyway), but 50% of the top 25 is different, that says that the "experts" are decent at picking the teams that are obviously the best, and pretty garbage at the rest of it. Now as I said, 70% of the top 10 is not the same, only 50% is, but maybe you meant is still in the top 25. That doesn't make the "experts" experts - my grandma could have picked UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TAMU, and ND to be top 25 teams too, and she doesn't watch football.

60% of the top 25 is the same, not 50%.

70% is the the same.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Before you go claiming mic drops, you should make sure facts were dropped. They weren't....

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
60% of the top 25 is the same, not 50%.

70% is the the same.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2021/seasontype/2

Per ESPN/AP, top 10 preseason was:

Bama
OU
Clemson
OSU
UGA
TAMU
ISU
Cincy
ND
UNC

Clemson, UNC, and ISU are currently unranked, so 70% of the top 10 teams are still ranked, but TAMU and ND are #21 and #14, so only 50% of the top 10 teams are still in the top 10, which is what I said.

Additionally Wisconsin, Miami, USC, LSU, Indiana, Washington, UL, and Utah were preseason top 25 but are no longer ranked, for a total of 11/25 no longer in the top 25, which means 14/25 are still there, 56%. So you can say I'm wrong at 50%, but you are almost equally as wrong at 60%, and whether its 50, 56, or 60%, the point being made still stands - the "experts" aren't very good at calling this stuff and miss more than every now and then, which is what you claimed. You also didn't even use the same poll for preseason and current, one was AP and one was not, which is laughable when trying to make a point.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2021/seasontype/2

Per ESPN, top 10 preseason was:

Bama
OU
Clemson
OSU
UGA
TAMU
ISU
Cincy
ND
UNC

Clemson, UNC, and ISU are currently unranked, so 70% of the top 10 teams are still ranked, but TAMU and ND are #21 and #14, so only 50% of the top 10 teams are still in the top 10, which is what I said.

Additionally Wisconsin, Miami, USC, LSU, Indiana, Washington, UL, and Utah were preseason top 25 but are no longer ranked, for a total of 11/25 no longer in the top 25, which means 14/25 are still there, 56%. So you can say I'm wrong at 50%, but you are almost equally as wrong at 60%, and whether its 50, 56, or 60%, the point being made still stands - the "experts" aren't very good at calling this stuff and miss more than every now and then, which is what you claimed.

See my above post using the NCAA website. 70% of the preseason top 10 are still in the top 10 according to the NCAA website for current top-25.

I provided links to the facts. Not sure what there is to argue about...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
See my above post using the NCAA website. 70% of the preseason top 10 are still in the top 10 according to the NCAA website for current top-25.

I provided links to the facts. Not sure what there is to argue about...
I was still adding to my post, reread the whole thing. You aren't even using the same poll in both cases and just trying to distract from the fact that your original claim that I challenged was garbage.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was still adding to my post, reread the whole thing. You aren't even using the same poll in both cases and just trying to distract from the fact that your original claim that I challenged was garbage.

Both polls are the ones referenced on the NCAA website. My original claim is not garbage, and is backed by facts, which I linked. Again, not seeing much here worth arguing over...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If 70% of the top 10 is still the same teams (they aren't, but we'll pretend anyway), but 50% of the top 25 is different, that says that the "experts" are decent at picking the teams that are obviously the best, and pretty garbage at the rest of it. Now as I said, 70% of the top 10 is not the same, only 50% is, but maybe you meant is still in the top 25. That doesn't make the "experts" experts - my grandma could have picked UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TAMU, and ND to be top 25 teams too, and she doesn't watch football.
I didn't go back and read his post, but did Augusta_Jacket say the media were the experts? I saw a bunch of comments about coaches (college and HS) and former players. I don't remember him (assuming A_J is a him) referring to the talking heads. I also think pre-season polls are a fool's errand.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I didn't go back and read his post, but did Augusta_Jacket say the media were the experts? I saw a bunch of comments about coaches (college and HS) and former players. I don't remember him (assuming A_J is a him) referring to the talking heads. I also think pre-season polls are a fool's errand.
Heres a quick review (quotes):

a_j: I'm listening to the experts, not message board warriors.

jacket_fan: Augusta, what experts are you referring? Experts also predicted UNC would dominate the ACC. Enough of that.

a_j: Pretty much every sportswriter out there... former GT athletes... HCs and former HCs... HS FB coaches...As for UNC, every now and then the experts get it wrong.

Now I specifically challenged the very last part, that the experts get it wrong more than every now and then. But as you can see, he does think sportwriters are experts.

The AFCA coaches preseason poll has the same preseason top 10, and same top 25 except swapping Ole Miss for ASU, and their current rankings are fairly similar to the AP poll's current rankings except Tex is swapped for Clemson at #25. So whether they are coaches or journalists, the results are largely the same as related to this discussion. I don't know of a poll that asks former players and high school coaches their opinions, but maybe there is one.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

jacket_fan: Augusta, what experts are you referring? Experts also predicted UNC would dominate the ACC. Enough of that.

a_j: Pretty much every sportswriter out there... former GT athletes... HCs and former HCs... HS FB coaches...As for UNC, every now and then the experts get it wrong.

Now I specifically challenged the very last part, that the experts get it wrong more than every now and then. But as you can see, he does think sportwriters are experts.

The AFCA coaches preseason poll has the same preseason top 10, and same top 25 except swapping Ole Miss for ASU, and their current rankings are fairly similar to the AP poll's current rankings except Tex is swapped for Clemson at #25. So whether they are coaches or journalists, the results are largely the same as related to this discussion. I don't know of a poll that asks former players and high school coaches their opinions, but maybe there is one.

A few points:

1. Preseason polls are predictive and are based off a programs recent history, returning QBs (or talented replacements), schedule, and a variety of other factors that have an impact on a teams season. There is no way to foresee significant injuries, either to your team or your opponents. We can argue about how "accurate" they are, but generally speaking, the top 10 in a poll at the preseason is likely to have at least 2 of the playoff teams in it.

2. Everyone knows that the preseason poll is predictive, but as the season goes on the datasets are pretty predictive and accurate on who will win a game. Sure, the any given Saturday is always in effect, but generally speaking, upsets are news because they are upsets. The odds that Texas A&M finishes better than Bama this season are slim, yet they won a thriller of a game Saturday night. It's also very possible that we finish with a worse record than UNC, yet we pounded them. Good teams get beat by lesser teams every season. (See NIU game for example)

3. I can't find anyone who predicted UNC would dominate this year. Most polls had them winning the Coastal, but given the returning Heisman candidate QB, Miami's recent struggles, and VT and Pitt not being proven, it was a safe choice. I did find this quote though (emphasis mine):

1. North Carolina Tar Heels​

Quick Take: UNC will be one of the it teams going into the season with the flashy offense and a ton of experience – there’s not a game on the slate it can’t win. However, the program has only won more than eight games once since 1997 – it’s not going to be a walk to an ACC Championship appearance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Agreed. I think I addressed than in my [edit].

I don't think the coaches actually vote in the coaches' poll. I've heard it most of my life that coaches push this off to some intern that votes for the coach. Besides, which coach is out there watching all the other teams in the nation to determine who's the better team? I certainly don't want my coach spending the requisite time necessary to evaluate all the games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

OOPS! I just saw my edit still in the edit box. So, you never saw it. I read through the rest of the thread and realized he was talking about writers too, so I recanted what I said. It just never made it to being published. That's what I was referring to in my first response.