What does Michael Cunningham have against

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Note:The ACC does not officially recognize regular season champions in basketball. All ACC regular season basketball championships referred to on this site are unofficial. Honors
Maybe you should travel to Charlottesville and take a picture of the 2021 ACC Men's Basketball Trophy.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me know if we’re in last place at the end of the year. This was always a transitional year to me. Stop complaining long enough to understand the dynamics of the struggle. This is not a veteran team, nor is it a team with all the right pieces. There are holes on the roster, and there are guys we’re relying on to be contributors that are still under development.

Most of us came into the season hoping a few things would break our way and we would have a shot at post season, but knew that the more likely scenario was that our young team might experience growing pains. That’s where we are at.

We’ve taking our lumps against a tough schedule and the ACC started as a gauntlet. I’m looking forward to seeing these guys against teams in the middle to bottom half.
But why.? Why schedule a non conference schedule like that? Look at Wake Forest’s non conference. Tech needed to build confidence earlier by playing bad teams.

Josh knew how bad our bigs were. Heck Moses didn’t play in the tourney game you could see how tough it was. These bigs weren’t and didn’t get better. They don’t have the pure talent. You could see the ability with guys like Lammers, Banks and Moses.

My frustration will lie in the fact that Tech has had back to back great seasons and you don’t have to sit out when transferring(effective before this yr) and we didn’t get a single transfer and do not have a single recruit coming in. That’s a problem! That my frustration as a fan.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
But why.? Why schedule a non conference schedule like that? Look at Wake Forest’s non conference. Tech needed to build confidence earlier by playing bad teams.

Josh knew how bad our bigs were. Heck Moses didn’t play in the tourney game you could see how tough it was. These bigs weren’t and didn’t get better. They don’t have the pure talent. You could see the ability with guys like Lammers, Banks and Moses.

My frustration will lie in the fact that Tech has had back to back great seasons and you don’t have to sit out when transferring(effective before this yr) and we didn’t get a single transfer and do not have a single recruit coming in. That’s a problem! That my frustration as a fan.
Exactly. How do we have NO commits when obviously we will be losing 4or5 guys.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Especially Mr. Connell. Take emotions out of it. We are all Tech fans and but they are not good. I still go to games and support but that doesn’t mean I can’t say they suck. They do. Tech shouldn’t be in this spot. It’s fine to whine. Fans deserve better. We should be having post about whether we will finish last in the ACC. Does anyone else see how poor this conference is and we are more than likely going to finish last. Can’t stand people not being real.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Until we move the ball like the teams that have records similar to ours and we should clearly beat, we will continue to struggle. We are better than what we are showing, our offense is funky. Another example of a team moving the ball and getting open shots, everyone is touching it and they are drilling us. I'll continue to go on record saying our offense doesn't match our pool of players. JP knew in the summer we didn't have a solid 5 so the offense should've been modified then. Contrary to popular belief if we move the ball the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and so on scoring options will reveal themselves. We really only did that against FSU and the offense was slightly different which aided in a win. We play Miami & we go back to our old ways. Based on 1st half of this game we appear to be doing the same thing and result azz whooping at 1/2.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Remember that time GT wasn’t the worst program in the ACC? That was fun
I remember the Morrison days. We were really bad. I was a grad student and married. We were living off I85 near Shallowford and there was an ice storm that knocked out our power. I told my wife let's go to GT basketball game to get warm. Walked in on my ID. It was so quiet you could hear the players calling plays and switch offs in the stands. This was back when it held about 6000 and a big circle. Those were dark days in GT basketball.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I remember the Morrison days. We were really bad. I was a grad student and married. We were living off I85 near Shallowford and there was an ice storm that knocked out our power. I told my wife let's go to GT basketball game to get warm. Walked in on my ID. It was so quiet you could hear the players calling plays and switch offs in the stands. This was back when it held about 6000 and a big circle. Those were dark days in GT basketball.
Agree with you about the darkness, but Alexander seated just over 9K "in a big circle."

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you about the darkness, but Alexander seated just over 9K "in a big circle."
6996 originally. They expanded it later by adding a concourse around the top. Lots of bench seats. Expanded during Cremins era -- if I remember correctly. I also was there during Hyder days. He was a really nice guy. Had him as my PE basketball instructor. Proud of that A .

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unfortunately, this is just not a good team.

There is some young talent that isn't ready and not enough older talent to cover for it.
We really needed to get a big man in the portal last spring and did not.

This is also a poor defensive team - really the first one under Pastner at GT. It's a poor rebounding team that doesn't force many TO and doesn't have a strong rim protector.

While we talk about the combined production of Smith/Study last night, on the other side Storm Murphy had by far his best performance against an ACC opponent, completely negating what Smith/Sturdy did.

This team is going to need a lot of work in the offseason and at least 2 high level portal transfers.

Pastner likely has 2 years to get things back to where they were as GT will deal with FB first if it has to, but I don't think his future is hardly assured.
IMO this has been the worst year for Pastner's tenure as he doesn't have outside negative factors impacting the program, this is all just internal and how the current squad is built.
This is also partially a result of the missing class from a few years ago.

Unfortunately the FSU game looks more like the UNC game for the FB team, rather than any sort of turning point. It might have been a turning point for FSU as they have now lost 3 straight games to GT, VT and Clemson.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is no such thing as the ACC Regular Season Champion in basketball. That is simply a made up term for the team with the best Conference record. That team is the top seed in the ACC BB Tournament which determines the ACC BB Champion. This isn’t rocket science.
There used to be two champions if I recall but that is no longer a meaningful title with the changes in tournament play. Now the most you could say about the regular season ranking is “the team with the best regular season record.” An achievement but not a championship.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I pulled harder for those Morrison teams than any. I had watched Morrison when he was coach at Mercer and knew he was good. At Tech he had trouble getting the players and was forced to go to a slow down offense ( this was before the shot clock and was referred to disparagingly as the “stop, look and listen” offense) which was completely different than the running full court style he ran at Mercer.

But boy was Brooke Steppe fun to watch! If I were putting together my all time Tech team he might be my first guard off the bench.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, this is just not a good team.

There is some young talent that isn't ready and not enough older talent to cover for it.
We really needed to get a big man in the portal last spring and did not.

This is also a poor defensive team - really the first one under Pastner at GT. It's a poor rebounding team that doesn't force many TO and doesn't have a strong rim protector.

While we talk about the combined production of Smith/Study last night, on the other side Storm Murphy had by far his best performance against an ACC opponent, completely negating what Smith/Sturdy did.

This team is going to need a lot of work in the offseason and at least 2 high level portal transfers.

Pastner likely has 2 years to get things back to where they were as GT will deal with FB first if it has to, but I don't think his future is hardly assured.
IMO this has been the worst year for Pastner's tenure as he doesn't have outside negative factors impacting the program, this is all just internal and how the current squad is built.
This is also partially a result of the missing class from a few years ago.

Unfortunately the FSU game looks more like the UNC game for the FB team, rather than any sort of turning point. It might have been a turning point for FSU as they have now lost 3 straight games to GT, VT and Clemson.
Yep - we got old and didn't stay old. With the missing class(es) there really isn't an obvious pathway back to getting old/staying old without a really stellar portal haul. The most obvious is a PF but I would probably add a 5 and then look for a high end playmaker/scorer regardless of position. That is a really tall order.

I also think CJP needs to look at his offensive schemes. While he always talks about having gotten good looks we just missed, to my eyes we generally are getting harder, more "create your own shot" shots than the opponent. Especially last night. I will give him credit that last night he went away from the Princeton with Howard but still had Devoe trying to go one on everyone including the water boy.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Especially Mr. Connell. Take emotions out of it. We are all Tech fans and but they are not good. I still go to games and support but that doesn’t mean I can’t say they suck. They do. Tech shouldn’t be in this spot. It’s fine to whine. Fans deserve better. We should be having post about whether we will finish last in the ACC. Does anyone else see how poor this conference is and we are more than likely going to finish last. Can’t stand people not being real.
Amen!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There used to be two champions if I recall but that is no longer a meaningful title with the changes in tournament play. Now the most you could say about the regular season ranking is “the team with the best regular season record.” An achievement but not a championship.
The official ACC Champion has always been the Tournament Champion. The “Regular Season” champion has never been official, simply a made up media term.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As to the game last night, Virginia Tech has some real zone busters. Didn’t they hit their first 4 three pointers in a row? It felt like with all their shots they couldn’t miss.

Tech seemed to get more rattled and desperate as the game went on. At the beginning of the game when we kept the game close I still felt pessimistic. You rarely beat a team that is that red hot and I knew we would need an almost perfect game from most of our starters. No margin for error with our team.