What do we know so far?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point last year, Auburn had survived Washington State at home by 7 points and beat an outmanned Arky State team by a mere 38-9 margin.
Oh yeah, they were picked 6th in the West in the aggregate rankings.
Long story short, we don't know ****e from shinola yet

You are right, but Auburn also had a first year HC and a QB that had only been running their offense for 3 weeks.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
only thing I would add to Longest Day post is this; because he is right on for everything

He is right the OL is doing better than 2013, but the left side may show to be a liability vs bigtime teams. So as a unit they are playing better. But we may change that opinion if Chamberlain starts getting eaten up but WDE.

The DL is not doing better than 2013 and the Ends are underwhelming alot (so much Paul is callin em out publicly). IMO this won't change from now to years end. What we are seeing is simply talent issue in some cases or youth issue (freeman) in others and it takes time either through recruiting or maturity.

I still think, and I know the staff sees it all the time and knows what they are doing. But I still think we need to TRY this...just TRY it.

- Joe or Braun slide to LT, devine at LG or even Oreilly at LG. Just see how it works, with these guys for a large part of a game. Try a few combos...

- Gotsis to SDE, Gamble to Start at the 3tech, and WDE as is. Just see how it works....Our DE are not in a ton of plays and struggle with pressure. Its two easy for teams to double a D tackle when their OT's can handle both Ends one on one and don't need RB or Guard help. This is a huge problem for us. We have RARELY called Gotsis name....he is getting doubled alot and is not in position. We need to be creative to use him

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
only thing I would add to Longest Day post is this; because he is right on for everything

He is right the OL is doing better than 2013, but the left side may show to be a liability vs bigtime teams. So as a unit they are playing better. But we may change that opinion if Chamberlain starts getting eaten up but WDE.

The DL is not doing better than 2013 and the Ends are underwhelming alot (so much Paul is callin em out publicly). IMO this won't change from now to years end. What we are seeing is simply talent issue in some cases or youth issue (freeman) in others and it takes time either through recruiting or maturity.

I still think, and I know the staff sees it all the time and knows what they are doing. But I still think we need to TRY this...just TRY it.

- Joe or Braun slide to LT, devine at LG or even Oreilly at LG. Just see how it works, with these guys for a large part of a game. Try a few combos...

- Gotsis to SDE, Gamble to Start at the 3tech, and WDE as is. Just see how it works....Our DE are not in a ton of plays and struggle with pressure. Its two easy for teams to double a D tackle when their OT's can handle both Ends one on one and don't need RB or Guard help. This is a huge problem for us. We have RARELY called Gotsis name....he is getting doubled alot and is not in position. We need to be creative to use him
Would have been interesting to see what JHD could have done coming off the edge, but oh well. We get him back next year along with a beefier Whitehead. But that's next year. I think we'll see Freeman make progress throughout the year and he might develop into a more consistent pass rush threat. Also, Rook-Chungong has been a pleasant surprise at DE.

I agree we need to try some new combinations on the OL, particularly the left side. Marshall at center gives us some flexibility to use Burden at tackle. We saw some of that in the preseason. Joe and Devine being out of shape is the most disappointing thing about the OL so far. Why guys would rather eat than play is beyond me.

I will say this...

Normally when we open the season up with 3 inferior opponents and we win very easily in blowouts, really doesn't seem to mean anything, because we've ended seasons really bad after breeze starts.

Maybe since we will prob have 3 dogfights and not so pretty games to start this year, this team might be battle tested early and might surprise us in their fight and pull out some tough games in ACC play this year.

Seems to be my silver lining in not looking so hot to start off the season. Team will not take anything for granted.

Well, coming from behind twice in two weeks wasn't what most of us were expecting, but you might be right. It may prove to be beneficial for our guys to know they can turn it around if aversity strikes.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
All I know is we sell our team waaaayyyyy short!

So we anoint VT after beating a OSU team with there backup QB, 4 new OLineman, and mediocre returning Defense?!? I can only imagine what excuses would be made for OSU if they lost to us.

But to answer the OG post, what I know after just watching the game:
The O will put up 35+pts in majority of the games this season
Pass Pro has improved this year.

The D needs to improve on assignment and techniques.
DL- on pass rush we don't have quick first step guys on the edge and to make matters worse we velcro ourselves to tackles. No hand combat/combos. Also, I'm not sure if our DEs in particular have a good sense of the gaps. This is the second week in a row that our DEs has lost contain. On multiple occasions on blitzes, we had DLineman in the gap of the blitzer. They also need to get better recognizing the screens. The way we have been struggling to create a pressure, you would think they something was up if they got to the QB unabated. On a positive note, I have been in impressed Green.
LB- better performance but we need to continue to improve. We have to get better with our smoke and mirrors at disguising blitzes. Glad to see Nealy bounce back. Still too need improve on getting off of blocks
DB- Good performance. Got some guys back there proving the cliche, "DBs are WR who can't catch" to be true. Another area where we need to clean up some assignment. To be truly honest, this should have been 38-7 win by us IF we were sound on our assignments. The 1st TD, Nealy did a good job getting a hand on the pass, but Golden couldn't hold his water and dived which led him to overplay the WR. Had he not he would've had a pick. On Tulame 3rd TD, we were in a Cov 3 and I know most would blame Noble for this TD, this one is on White. DJ needed to get depth and if he had he would've had pick or at least a tipped pass.

This team has the potential to be a 9-10 based what Ive seen from our opponents, but we need to grow up and improve each week

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
All I know is we sell our team waaaayyyyy short!

So we anoint VT after beating a OSU team with there backup QB, 4 new OLineman, and mediocre returning Defense?!? I can only imagine what excuses would be made for OSU if they lost to us.

But to answer the OG post, what I know after just watching the game:
The O will put up 35+pts in majority of the games this season
Pass Pro has improved this year.

The D needs to improve on assignment and techniques.
DL- on pass rush we don't have quick first step guys on the edge and to make matters worse we velcro ourselves to tackles. No hand combat/combos. Also, I'm not sure if our DEs in particular have a good sense of the gaps. This is the second week in a row that our DEs has lost contain. On multiple occasions on blitzes, we had DLineman in the gap of the blitzer. They also need to get better recognizing the screens. The way we have been struggling to create a pressure, you would think they something was up if they got to the QB unabated. On a positive note, I have been in impressed Green.
LB- better performance but we need to continue to improve. We have to get better with our smoke and mirrors at disguising blitzes. Glad to see Nealy bounce back. Still too need improve on getting off of blocks
DB- Good performance. Got some guys back there proving the cliche, "DBs are WR who can't catch" to be true. Another area where we need to clean up some assignment. To be truly honest, this should have been 38-7 win by us IF we were sound on our assignments. The 1st TD, Nealy did a good job getting a hand on the pass, but Golden couldn't hold his water and dived which led him to overplay the WR. Had he not he would've had a pick. On Tulame 3rd TD, we were in a Cov 3 and I know most would blame Noble for this TD, this one is on White. DJ needed to get depth and if he had he would've had pick or at least a tipped pass.

This team has the potential to be a 9-10 based what Ive seen from our opponents, but we need to grow up and improve each week
I think Golden made the right play on that 1st TD. It was just bad luck. If Nealy hadn’t tipped the ball it would have been a pick and he may have still been running. The tip threw him off his break and he couldn’t recover. Obviously Nealy did the right thing tipping the pass, I just think it was an unlucky sequence.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On D:
It seems to me that we have not been overly "multiple" on D yet. I've just got to believe that Roof is just trying to figure out what he's got, personnel wise. So, without knowing what exactly we're trying to accomplish, it's hard to know how to judge performance.

I haven't seen what I've wanted to see, and I'm sure that our coaches would have liked to see, with respect to fundamentals like tackling etc, but maybe they're largely getting what they want in terms of coverage and gap control, etc. I'm not sure that we will not see better performance when we pull out more stops against the better opponents.

I trust @Ibeeballin on assessing what's happening with gaps etc, though. I wrote the above before he posted.

CPJ has talked about moving Gotis around, so that might happen. But, Gotsis and Green in the middle will be stout, imo. I'm mixed about whether Gamble gives us enough to move from that base more than in brief relief.

On O:
The suggestion of moving Burden from center just seems odd to me. He's too important at center, imo. I agree with @33jacket that I'd like to see some shuffling on the left side, but we've got 2 experienced OL coaches and a head coach who know what they're looking at during practice. I'd be surprised if the better option that what we have is that easy.

I think the two keys for me will be our D's and JT's maturation over the next couple of games. If he continues to want to be better and work at correcting mistakes, we're going to be good on O. Our D just needs to develop an identity and reliable personnel given our dependence on youth.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
True freshman from a recruiting class ranked in 50s are already on field and making plays!
We are doing well on injury front - good conditioning or luck, but good news!
Coaches has gradually given JT more complicated calls or reads - first game as I remember coach said no TO reads and few few double options.
Blocking by AB and WR is very promising for year ( I am critical of having so many 5 year AB but they sure are blocking so may have some crow stew cooking).
We are winning pulling away at end!
Coach is really mixing up the play calling - not just the blocking schemes
For Tulane their qb and receivers played poorly - so we did not learn much.

IMO We still may think we can win with soft system approach _ will be tough to begin being aggressive in mid season.

IMO - we have a lot of unseen upside in the offense.

Also IMO for GSU Best outcome is playing as many as players as possible and still winning at end after we have to put 8 men on line and blitz a lot.

Very good first two games !

True freshman from a recruiting class ranked in 50s are already on field and making plays!
We are doing well on injury front - good conditioning or luck, but good news!
Coaches has gradually given JT more complicated calls or reads - first game as I remember coach said no TO reads and few few double options.
Blocking by AB and WR is very promising for year ( I am critical of having so many 5 year AB but they sure are blocking so may have some crow stew cooking).
We are winning pulling away at end!
Coach is really mixing up the play calling - not just the blocking schemes
For Tulane their qb and receivers played poorly - so we did not learn much.

IMO We still may think we can win with soft system approach _ will be tough to begin being aggressive in mid season.

IMO - we have a lot of unseen upside in the offense.

Also IMO for GSU Best outcome is playing as many as players as possible and still winning at end after we have to put 8 men on line and blitz a lot.

Very good first two games !

I am with you, play lots of kids against Georgia Southern if the game conditions allow. I can't help but wonder how we will react to seeing Va Tech, Miami, and Duke after starting with Wofford, Tulane, and Southern. Things ratchet up in a hurry after this Saturday. We need to be better each week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will say that getting Harrell back onto the field is a good thing, imho. It was nice to see him at the LB position, and he made some plays for us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ok guys, I know this is not news, but we really need a new LT. BC just isn't quick enough off the ball to get his head and shoulders in front of his assignment. I decided to focus on him on the big 3rd qtr drive that put us up by 2 scores. We score in spite of BC whiffing on nearly every play on that drive. He's just too slow off the ball. Maybe he was gassed by then, I dunno. Luckily we run to the right a lot, but the backside help is gonna kill us against better/faster defenses.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
FYI part of screen pass problems is the LB not playing his key. That falls on the LB or DE alot....Assignment football boys. We need more of it on the front 4 and 7 in situations.

The DE on the backside over pursue and don't play their gap upfield. Two games of watching this crap has to be fixed. Tulane nailed us a ton on misdirection.

Even if our DE don't get a good pass rush (they are simply not explosive or violent enough yet); they should at the very least play their lanes and be where they need to be.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok guys, I know this is not news, but we really need a new LT. BC just isn't quick enough off the ball to get his head and shoulders in front of his assignment. I decided to focus on him alone on the big 3rd qtr drive that put us up by 2 scores. We score in spite of BC whiffing on nearly every play on that drive. He's just too slow off the ball. Maybe he was gassed by then, I dunno. Luckily we run to the right a lot, but the backside help is gonna kill us against better/faster defenses.

Like I have said ad nausea. His experiment is over. Try Joe there, devine, slide Braun, do something different to see if we can get a tad better....are our other options REALLY this bad??

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
FYI part of screen pass problems is the LB not playing his key. That falls on the LB or DE alot....Assignment football boys. We need more of it on the front 4 and 7 in situations.

The DE on the backside over pursue and don't play their gap upfield. Two games of watching this crap has to be fixed. Tulane nailed us a ton on misdirection.

Even if our DE don't get a good pass rush (they are simply not explosive or violent enough yet); they should at the very least play their lanes and be where they need to be.

Not playing the screens well in conjunction with blitzing could be at least partially a scheme issue, but the reverses are a player responsibility letdown and have to be fixed.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing you can count on is that this team will fight hard and probably no matter how crappy things are going or seem, still be in every game with a chance to win going into the 4th quarter. Thats one of the things you can pretty well count on and that i really like about CPJ's teams over his predecessor.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
What do I know so far? The O looks better than I expected, the D still keeps me on the edge of my seat every time the other team has the ball. We can ever take a win for granted and who knows what will happen against the Big 4.
In other words, much the same feeling as previous seasons but I am still hoping the results are different.