What did Kirby Smart say to Brent Key?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't help but notice that KSmart had a lot to say to BKey after the game on Saturday, and BKey seemed to be listening very intently. Others noted that, too.

Do we have any idea what was said?

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
He said:
"So I heard they wanted to hire Chadwell but a few big money guys pushed hard for you and that scared him away. Then, they gave BOB a call and he laughed at them because he's an NFL bound star. The donors are on your side but watch out for that old guy down in Nawlins... I'll give you a call or shoot you a text if I hear anything else."

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Thought the same smart arse answer 🙂
I don’t think it’s really a “smart arse” answer though. He probably for real said something like, “You did a hell of a job with those kids and the situation you took over. If things don’t work out for you there, I’d love to have you come work with me over here.”

Kirby knows Key is a football coach. He’s no nonsense, serious, and disciplined. He knows his kids love to play for him. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of Kirby offered Key a job, and/or made a quick mention of it in the postgame meetup. I don’t know if Key has it in him to ever work at UGA. I know it would break my heart to see him go over there.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It would break mine too, but I understand if he doesn't have any other job that would pay as much. Has to put food on the table and keep the roof over the head.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't help but notice that KSmart had a lot to say to BKey after the game on Saturday, and BKey seemed to be listening very intently. Others noted that, too.

Do we have any idea what was said?

Kirby: "Good game, Brent. Hey, while I have your ear, remember that Calculus book you use to use at 'Bama to negatively recruit GT? Well, I still have it and decided to open it up last night. I got to the first page and I'm totally confused. I was still thinking about it during the first half and just couldn't concentrate on the game. Can you help me out?"

Brent: "Sure thing. How far on the first page did you get?"

Kirby: "The...."

Brent: "The...what?"

Kirby: Just "The..."

Brent: "Kirby, you going to Saban's annual coaches retreat at his lakehouse this summer?"

Kirby: "Yep!"

Brent: "Bring the book with you, and we'll go over it together."

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
My Ugag in-laws said it was 2 things touched on in this thread. Gave him a huge congrats for the job he's done and told him there's a gig in Athens for him should he need one.

Could just be sarcasm, but who knows.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I've actually been really curious about what Kirbs said to Key ever since it was pointed out by you guys how long it was. Any lip readers in here?

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Kirby respects Key a lot. You can tell from his press conference before the game that was genuine. They’ve known each other a long time. I’m positive it was a heap of praise about how well he did and also probably a job offer if he doesn’t get the job here. Kirby will be like Saban and have a thousand guys as “analysts”.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
He said:
"So I heard they wanted to hire Chadwell but a few big money guys pushed hard for you and that scared him away. Then, they gave BOB a call and he laughed at them because he's an NFL bound star. The donors are on your side but watch out for that old guy down in Nawlins... I'll give you a call or shoot you a text if I hear anything else."
This is a solid bit!!!

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
“Brent,my son is in the hospital. He was sticking horse figurines up his rectum and they got stuck”
“Wow Kirby, I hope he’s okay”
“Yeah, Doc says he’s in stable condition”
"When does a joke become a dad joke Brent ?"
"I have no clue, Kirby."
"When the punchline is delivered!"
"Now Brent, when is the punchline delivered?"
"I don't know Kirby when?"
"After the delivery!!"

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, this is 100% speculation, but he might have said something like:

"I hope to see you in Atlanta next year, Brent. You've done a hell of a job, and I hope everything goes well for you. You deserve a shot. I really mean that."
Saying knowing there was no reality of that happening.