What did CPJ mean

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
In CPJ radio call in show last night he said that he thought we tried to do to much fancy stuff on defense and he thought it might have been to much.

So reading into this a little deeper I am wondering why we tried to do something fancy and if he agreed with trying something different before hand. Did someone tell Roof he better get things going right? Why would CPJ not want to try something different on D when what we had isn't working? And what did we do that was to fancy?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't listened to the show yet (Halloween Duty), but it is obvious there was hesitation and confusion out there.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Yea I know there was hesitation and confusion but I have seen that every game. I didn't see anything "different" this game. I would just like to know what we did different and even if it didn't work I would be happy to see we tried something

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think there was more shifting on the line. Also some "confusion" in the 2nd level...
I too was on Halloween Door duty and missed portions of the conversations :( so I don't recall his comments about being fancy.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
We were there at the show. It's possible I missed something. What I did hear him talking about was Duke using some "gimmicky" defense and it leaving us things to exploit.

I don't recall anything specific about ours. He continues in his critique of our 3rd down performance and our lack of pressure on the QB. And, acknowledged some issues with getting guys lined up this Saturday.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yea I know there was hesitation and confusion but I have seen that every game. I didn't see anything "different" this game. I would just like to know what we did different and even if it didn't work I would be happy to see we tried something
My impression is that there was a good bit more of it Saturday. We had to call TOs. We struggled to even get lined up by the time the ball was snapped. We had total busts in coverage, which really hasn't happened yet this year. We may have played off guys a bit, but we really haven't busted coverages that I can remember.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
My impression is that there was a good bit more of it Saturday. We had to call TOs. We struggled to even get lined up by the time the ball was snapped. We had total busts in coverage, which really hasn't happened yet this year. We may have played off guys a bit, but we really haven't busted coverages that I can remember.

That does make since. If we struggled from trying something new then I don't mind that. Changing anything on D is good in my book. That means were trying to get better, I will take some missed assignments and blown coverages if were trying to do something different to get better in the long run.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

I have watched us screw up run fits, alley fills by the S, and Te and screen cvg all year. While not necessarily your traditional busted covg in the secondary that is obvious and shows big on tv; we are continually screwing up the front 7 and back 2 in other areas....so for me busted cvgs have been routine all year.

Because we play so off and so deep in the backend we havent had many of the long bomb yet due to busted assignments unless you look at the OT pass play for td in pitt; the backside te throw for td vs duke....etc...we had one or two busts vs clemson (went incomplete iirc) and miami was wide open....

In my opinion we ran nothing new or fancy this past Saturday....its hard to see what that would be. We are so basic on D.

It feels like its a D regressing with mental errors. Not sure why (well i know why but not going to state it here). All our starters are in but PJ.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ said we tried to install too much on Defense. He said we are out smarting ourselves.

Sometimes the harder you try, the worse you perform. Or trying to overthink a problem only makes it worse. I wonder about a more simple D, with a mix of aggressive / bend styles, shift/hide intentions, and above all...

Get Corey and AJ involved upfront! I would say go to two LB and add another safety for deep coverage (#44) and have AJ and/or Corey play 5 to 7 yards off the line outside, blitzing 1 every other play or so.

Milwaukee

Banned
So Groh was fired for trying to implement too much because the players couldn't follow it, and now Roof is basically being told the same thing essentially. Why are our SA's unable to comprehend multiple looks and schemes is the bigger question.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Why are our SA's unable to comprehend multiple looks and schemes is the bigger question.
I would think our SA spend more time in classroom than normal SA. Coach said a few shows back that when he was at GS that his players spent a ton of time in the film room because they were taking easy classes. I think watching film makes a big difference on D. JG Int return for a TD in 14 was all about film study. He came from a mile away to make that INT. He says that he had seen that play before and read his keys.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
So Groh was fired for trying to implement too much because the players couldn't follow it, and now Roof is basically being told the same thing essentially. Why are our SA's unable to comprehend multiple looks and schemes is the bigger question.
The first thing that came to my head was that this is the same thing PJ started saying right before Groh was shown the door.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Because we play so off and so deep in the backend we havent had many of the long bomb yet due to busted assignments unless you look at the OT pass play for td in pitt

I agree with much of your post. Our LB coverage has been haphazard at best this year, and we have been fortunate that, prior to Duke, it really hasn't been exposed.

The long TD against Pitt wasn't a busted coverage, however. The S had picked him up but then came forward to make a play on an underthrown ball. The deflection straight to a TE running in stride was simply a fluke.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What Longest Day says a few posts up the thread captures it. Gave our defense too much to think about.

I didn't write much down, meaning not a lot of substance.

When asked about both lines, PJ said that the offensive line is young but improving and looking promising. On the defensive line, he said our best pass rushers lack experience. Simmons and St Amour. We need to be patient and keep trying to recruit them. But then he added as he has many times that the whole college football world is trying to recruit defensive linemen, and it's hard for Tech to sign them.

Andy noted that Terrell Lewis was in on a lot of tackles and asked how the linebacking was. PJ stopped just short of "it stunk." Said they were often lined up wrong and didn't understand their assignments. [maybe this is where the too much new stuff for the defense comes in?]

PJ was asked about QBs for next year. He listed the four scholarship QBs matter of factly. Said we would be signing one this year, "if we get the one we want." Said the starter would come from that group.

Andy cited a figure which seemed surprising at first. Our yards per play vs UNCs yards per play are within a tiny fraction of each others. I think ours is a tiny fraction better.

PJ once again hinted that he thinks the offense is coming along nicely.

His tone was very different than it was during and after the Duke game. Gone was the fury about the mistakes and sorry defense. I was wondering if there would be any talk about doing something different on defense, but I didn't hear anything. Just that we need to mix it up, about what he said before Duke. He reiterated that our biggest problem is that we cannot pressure a quarterback and need to find a way.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We gotta try something different on the DL, I'm not a coach but our speed rushers aren't fast enough to make up for their lack of size and strength. Gamble/Kallon/Glanton at DE are probably big enough and strong enough to close the pocket and Adams and Cerge could push the middle back into the QB. They may not be fast enough to get a sack but they could make the QB uncomfortable. Simmons and Freeman can get to the QB but it seems they get blocked most of the time and the QB has all day to wait for someone to get open.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Andy noted that Terrell Lewis was in on a lot of tackles and asked how the linebacking was. PJ stopped just short of "it stunk." Said they were often lined up wrong and didn't understand their assignments. [maybe this is where the too much new stuff for the defense comes in?]

Man...for a position that Roof played himself (and VERY well at that), it crushes my soul to see how bad we are at LB. I wrote it in another thread, but it seemed like the LBs were occupying the same areas a lot of times, and at other times they looked assignment confused.

Lewis is probably our most physically gifted LB, but you can see why he's not playing more. Looks a bit confused at times, which makes him play slower than he is. When he's blitzing though...wow, exactly what we need. Covers a lot of ground quickly. Needs to be coached up so he can be on the field more to help our defense.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't buy the rational that our defenders don't have time because of classes etc. to be able to absorb a complex D. If you go back to Tenuta the D was pretty complex and while there was always ROCK it was multiple variants of ROCK and all gaps were generally accounted for. Those players got the scheme - whether by coaching or some other method they got it and i have trouble believing this group can't.

On the other side I don't see Guyton, Phillip Wheeler, etc. in this defensive group. So I don't have an expectation this group can do what that group could. And I understand why Roof would want to play differently to protect against a big play. I don't understand guys not knowing what they are supposed to do.

FWIW Tenuta played his corners probably softer than Roof did at the start of the year. So i am not as myopic about that as some. But not having a coherent and co-ordinated approach drives me nuts.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't believe we are as slow as we look, specifically at LB position. CPJ confirmed what a lot of us thought: the LBs had a tough game against Duke.

Let's hope PJ Davis is back and the LBs anchor a great D performance this week against UNCheat. Go Jackets.