What D will we run 3-4 or 4-3

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have size at NG to run the 3-4 defense. Ran it last year but with new players on the DL what do we run with the personnel we have this year. I like the 4-3 but not sure we have the best skill set for that.

slugboy

Staff member
We played a 4-2-5 over the past 3 seasons, with some 3-3-5 mixed in. David Turner is our Assistant Head Coach for Defense, and he has a DLine background.
I think we’re looking at 4-2-5 again. That’s a guess, though

I’d love to see a 3-4, but who on our coaching staff is a 3-4 coach?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We played a 4-2-5 over the past 3 seasons, with some 3-3-5 mixed in. David Turner is our Assistant Head Coach for Defense, and he has a DLine background.
I think we’re looking at 4-2-5 again. That’s a guess, though

I’d love to see a 3-4, but who on our coaching staff is a 3-4 coach?
Don't we bring a hybrid corner in to make it more like a 4-3. I would assume we adjust alignment based on who we are playing. Who would most likely fit the hybrid position? Charlie Thomas?

JacketFan137

Banned
The 3 man front was cool until Pitt obliterated us and Thacker or whoever runs the D refused to adjust.

I just want something that works.
pitt shouldn’t be the measuring stick they did that to everyone as pickett waltzed his way into the heisman convo and first round of the draft.

the issue was we let boston college, uva and miami do it too.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
As I recall after the UNC game CAT said something to the effect of the 4 or 3 down DL isn't the answer it's a tool. That our base defense would continue to be 4-2-5 but we would roll into the 3-3 front where and when it made sense to do in game planning or week to week.

I would expect that hasn't changed.

slugboy

Staff member
Don't we bring a hybrid corner in to make it more like a 4-3. I would assume we adjust alignment based on who we are playing. Who would most likely fit the hybrid position? Charlie Thomas?

Not often that I can think of. Last year against Notre Dame and jumbo sets would have been a place to do that. I can't say I have any appetite to rewatch that game to figure out formations.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think it's in our interest to be multiple instead of locking in like this to a given box allignment. But I don't think we have the coaches who could make that work.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Mulitple but primarily a 4-2-5.
Being that there some linebacker depth now may get a little 4-3 depending on opponent.

The team finally has DLinemen that fit the desired scheme.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don't get pushed into the person behind u, disguise the blitz or coverage w a little movement, don't put a safety back 25 yards, and and I love it.

Hexx I am ok if we just play hard like the 2014 defense. The turn overs come if u play hard.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So most so far feel like we will have 4 on the DL and 2 LB's. One poster mentioned a rover position. Is that more of a hybrid type, smallish LB/big safety type with good speed? Can cover or play close to the LOS. Does the rover play to the wide side of the field or play man to a specific position? Answer is probably: either.
Who will likely play rover? Charlie?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So most so far feel like we will have 4 on the DL and 2 LB's. One poster mentioned a rover position. Is that more of a hybrid type, smallish LB/big safety type with good speed? Can cover or play close to the LOS. Does the rover play to the wide side of the field or play man to a specific position? Answer is probably: either.
Who will likely play rover? Charlie?
I think Charlie is at LB and Edwards at rover.The whole DEF is really a question with who plays where.(and how well). btw-To me if if if K White could be a real force at DE ,it would take a lot of pressure off LBs and DBs.