• Time management during games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turnovers

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Curious to see what others think. If there is one missing, please add.. I am going with offensive play calling. The reason why is, I feel that our players fail to be put into positions to make plays, far too often.
None of the above. The correct answer is the same as was obvious to most observers from last year. Improvement on both lines is of paramount importance. Want to be a "player" for bowls? Want to be recognized nationally? Want to win the Coastal and challenge Clemson? Improve the lines and it will happen. We have the running backs, the quarterbacks, the receivers and the defensive backs, well, may want to circle back on that one but the future is clear. Linemen and more linemen.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
So, about our offensive line, here are our linemen, sorted by year:

NumberNamePositionHeightWeightYearHometownPrevious School
71Ryan SpiersOL6-3
288​
2020 (2)Biloxi, Miss.Biloxi HS
60Paula VaipuluOL6-3
303​
2020 (2)Channelview, TexasChannelview HS
62Cade KootsouradisOL6-4
316​
2020 (2)Crestview, Fla.Crestview HS
54Jordan WilliamsOL6-6
333​
2020 (2)Gainesville, Ga.Gainesville HS
63Will MilamOL6-4
329​
FreshmanPowder Springs, Ga.Hiram HS
76Wing GreenOL6-7
309​
2020 (2)Leesburg, Ga.Lee County HS
66Anthony MinellaOL6-2
284​
FreshmanMilton, Ga.Milton HS
67Joe FusileOL6-6
320​
FreshmanRichmond Hill, Ga.Richmond Hill HS
72Weston FranklinOL6-4
316​
2021 (1)Jesup, Ga.Wayne County HS
75Jakiah LeftwichOL6-6
310​
2021 (1)Atlanta, Ga.Westlake HS
64Nick PendleyOL6-4
310​
2021 (1)Canton, Ga.Mississippi State
50Jamal CampOL6-2
289​
2019 (3)Cumming, Ga.South Forsyth HS
58Will ScissumOL6-2
297​
RS FreshmanMarietta, Ga.The Walker School
69Matthew MorganOL6-4
328​
RS SophomoreWoodstock, Ga.Etowah HS
61Michael MayeOL6-3
317​
2018 (4)Hoover, Ala.Hoover HS
65Austin SmithOL6-3
308​
2018 (4)McDonough, Ga.Ola HS
79William Lay IIIOL6-2
313​
RS JuniorBowersville, Ga.Hart County HS
57Mikey MinihanOL6-3
300​
2017 (5)Honolulu, Hawai'iSaint Louis School
73Kenneth KirbyOL6-5
305​
RS SeniorNewport News, Va.Norfolk State
55Kenny CooperOL6-3
325​
2016 (6)Calhoun, Ga.Sonoraville HS
70Ryan JohnsonOL6-6
307​
2016 (6)Brentwood, Tenn.Tennessee
77Devin CochranOL6-7
314​
2016 (6)Norcross, Ga.Vanderbilt

Here are the yearly totals:

By year
Freshman
10​
RS-Fresh
3​
RS-Soph
3​
RS-Junior
2​
RS-Senior
4​
Underclassmen
16​
Upperclassmen
6​

Our starters, and the players who are getting nearly all of the playing time, are part of our six upperclassmen (Cooper, Johnson, Cooper {seniors}, Minihan, and Lay {juniors). Williams has played 65% of snaps, and is a freshman.
You also have some snaps from Nick Pendley (27%) and Paula Vaipulu (7.5%).

So, we have "depth" in Freshmen and Sophomores, but in reality we rely almost exclusively on a handful of upperclassmen and one "2nd year" freshman. I'd looked at the line during summer camp and thought we'd have a lot of depth this year, but it looks more like we'll have an amazing OL in two years, and we'll have to grit things out this season and next, Or the Freshmen are going to have to learn and develop REALLY FAST.

See snap numbers at https://gtswarm.com/threads/jordan-williams.24045/post-831916.
Thanks for putting this together; however, when you use Fr, So, Jr, etc it can distort how long players have been playing at the collegiate level. I adjusted your chart for those listed as scholarship players on 247Sports to show their signing year and in parenthesis the number of years playing counting the current year. What it shows is that out of 15 scholarship players, we only have 3 True Freshman, first year players (Franklin, Leftwich and Pendley). Additionally, we have 5 other players in their 2nd year. So out of 15, 8 are "underclassmen" and the rest (7) are "upperclassmen."

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ever since I joined this board , maybe 10 years ago, I ( and others ) have whined about OL depth. What is the fix for this ? Can't we get a true 2 deep with quality on our OL ? Are we recruiting too many "projects " ? We used to blame Sewak , now Key is getting some heat. Are we just expecting too much ? When Cooper, Johnson , Cochran and Kirby leave after this year will things improve or drop off ? Any thoughts ?
Getting really good linemen, according to my Florida friends on Gator Bait, is what separates the elite football teams from the wannabes, the also rans, and the doormats. They are generally not well coached in high school, often times are big enough but not quick enough, not the right body type, require much more coaching, strength training, and development and in general are a constant source of frustration for coaches. I don't really know and doubt anyone has ever studied this but I would not be surprised if out of all the position groups, highly touted offensive linemen particularly tackles and defensive tackles have the highest percentage of busts. It would be an interesting topic to research though it would be hard to quantify just what is a true "bust" and who are the "highly touted". To be sure, we do not have enough linemen and have not had enough linemen for what seems like ages. I am inclined, against popular wisdom, to give Coach Key a pass on this. I think it is the circumstances of injuries, depending too much on the portal, and perhaps some recruits not panning out. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Of course I was joking but your point seems on target. Sometimes these conversations miss the forest for the trees. An analogy might be slightly off, or there is one factual error which does not negate the larger point, and that gets hammered.

Yeah I’m probably guilty too.

But it’s not just precision that is the culprit, people are jealous to make sure thing get spun a certain way or that their pet narrative is not undermined.

God help me but I’d rather hang with Tech fans that any other fan base.
Oh? Miami fan sites not available? TIC

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't really know and doubt anyone has ever studied this but I would not be surprised if out of all the position groups, highly touted offensive linemen particularly tackles and defensive tackles have the highest percentage of busts. It would be an interesting topic to research though it would be hard to quantify just what is a true "bust" and who are the "highly touted".
Conversely, i think the opposite is true as well - when I reflect back on decades of being a GT fan, my recollection is there is no other position group where we have had walk ons (or even 2 star recruits) develop into competent or even better OL. I think the recruiting of these guys (outside of the obvious blue chippers) is the hardest to define or get right.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Conversely, i think the opposite is true as well - when I reflect back on decades of being a GT fan, my recollection is there is no other position group where we have had walk ons (or even 2 star recruits) develop into competent or even better OL. I think the recruiting of these guys (outside of the obvious blue chippers) is the hardest to define or get right.
Could be but a two star Shaq unfortunately, is the exception not the rule. I contend that recruiting backs and receivers is easier because there are more good ones that cannot be hoarded by the factories. We have lots of offensive linemen on the depth chart but most of them are freshmen or redshirt freshmen. How many will develop into good players? Beats me and I don't think even the coaches can say for sure just yet.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Texas A&M has two true freshmen starters on the offensive line, two other true freshmen in the two deep and two other redshirt freshmen in the two deep. They more than held their own against the best team in the country. Playing young guys is fine if they are good enough to play and are well coached.
You’re right. Just never known that to work out for Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One of the best things I remember about CPJ was his ability to exploit an opponent's weakness. He seemed to have a knack of probing around until he found what worked and then would proceed to death march you with it. I would feel bad for the opposing coaches at that point. It was basically CPJ saying, I know what you can't stop, you know what you can't stop, and we are going to give it to you the whole length of the football field and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. The best death marches were where it was a constant BB dive. Just absolutely gut-wrenching for a defense to know what's coming and still watch it get 3-5 yards at a time.
Sometimes taking 6 or 7 minutes off the clock. It always felt like the drama was building, like some kind of suspense novel where the killer was getting closer and closer to his prey.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that the charge that a coach is “stubborn” is one I’ve heard a lot over the years. I could name at least 3 coaches who’s offensive play calling brought that charge from Tech fans.

I agree that most of us are not smart enough to know. It is doubtful that a coach is simply being doctrinaire or that they are overlooking something that the fans are noticing. On those rare occasions when CPJ was asked by a bold reporter why a particular play was called or not called I was always very impressed at how precise the answer was and the thought behind the call.
I’m trying to find a coach anywhere who isn’t stubborn.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I
It doesn’t. Because Tech isn’t getting anywhere close to the same caliber of recruit that A&M, Ohio State, and the likes are. The guys we’re getting and have always got need a lot more time to mature and develop.
I remember when freshmen became eligible to play varsity and some of us honestly worried they would get killed. Yeah, it’s gotten better but those are the kinds of recruits we get.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We had a walk on center named bradford who was all acc

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get your general message that the coaches know more than the fans. I certainly hope that is the case. My contention is that some of the struggles we are having are glaringly obvious and it is disappointing that we seem to be repeating them over and over and over. Hey, let's face it. We are at best a mediocre football team. It is our good fortune to be playing in a mediocre league. That gives us a puncher's chance every time we tee it up. If we can avoid the glaring mistakes, we quite possibly could have a winning record and a bowl bid. If we keep shooting ourselves in the foot, the chances of success are greatly diminished. It just appears to me that our coaches are not putting our guys in the best spot to win. At least up until this point.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I get your general message that the coaches know more than the fans. I certainly hope that is the case. My contention is that some of the struggles we are having are glaringly obvious and it is disappointing that we seem to be repeating them over and over and over. Hey, let's face it. We are at best a mediocre football team. It is our good fortune to be playing in a mediocre league. That gives us a puncher's chance every time we tee it up. If we can avoid the glaring mistakes, we quite possibly could have a winning record and a bowl bid. If we keep shooting ourselves in the foot, the chances of success are greatly diminished. It just appears to me that our coaches are not putting our guys in the best spot to win. At least up until this point.

Go Jackets!
Go Jackets!

Jmonty71

Banned
Is that scheme or performance? You don't know that do you? Neither do I. That was my point. I've seen the same exact play you're talking about break open for Gibbs and he gets 15 to 20 yards. So, it's not the play that's the problem, it's the execution. Now, as you said, should the coaches know that with the guys we currently have on the field that the execution won't be there and that's a losing play call? I don't know. I'm not smarter than the coaches and neither is anyone who posts to this site. Is CDP the right guy? Not my call. My call is to support these guys and cheer like hell.

I realize people want to pick it apart and dissect what's happening as they see it to identify the problems. In general, we are taught to be problem-solvers. But there are too many guys with too much money on the line for the coaches to ignore the solutions you're positing. Do you really think they don't see what you're talking about? Do you really think they're just being stubborn and saying they're going to do it their way, period? I've read too many of your posts to believe you think that way. Every one of those coaches has way more football acumen than just about anyone on this site.

By the way, I didn't say ALL of the fans don't understand X's and O's. The quote you pulled from my post said It right there.
You are missing my point. Let's go to the scheme or performance, that you started with. Both are on P'naude. Personally, I don't like his scheme. It's boring and unimaginative. It doesn't take degrees in coaching to see that. To add, I can see that we fail to swing Gibbs out of half back passes.. I also see that we fail to conduct high percentage passing routes, to help Sims gain more confidence. These are visual and noticeable aspects that we're missing. Do I have a say on who we keep/fire? No... Will I cheer for our young men, out there battling each game? Hell yeah.... I think Sims and Gibbs can be one of the best 1-2 combinations in college football, given the right scheme and guidance. To me, that is what eats at me the most.. We have some really good talent and we fail to promote that talent.