• Time management during games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turnovers

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The biggest need is Oline improvement.If they were better we could run and our Off would be tough---- PLUS help the def. by keeping the ball.
The most disappointing part of team is the DBs. We have too much talent(I thougt) to play like that .dook (like others) killed us. The old guys Swilling,carp, J.Thomas etc have not improved--try others.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I went with O play calling. Closest to using the TE more. Like dragging over the middle, crossing with a WR, block and go.

@4shotB said it best. Starts up the Hill and flows on down.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is in another thread, but it’s good for this thread too:
Post in thread 'What can our secondary do to improve?'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/what-can-our-secondary-do-to-improve.24027/post-831440

First short answer: for about one-third to one-half of the formations, have 2 RBs and 0-1 TEs. Occasionally, have someone go old-school and play fullback.

Next, opponents are teeing off and rushing the passer like crazy. They’re pass blitzing and run blitzing.

Answer: screen, bubble screen, quick flair passes to the RB.

Problem: RBs are getting hit behind the line, and we’re having trouble getting to the edge. We’re too slow on the mesh.
Answer: It’s OK to pitch the ball, or shovel pass, or use other ways to get the ball to the RB away from the QB.

============
Your post got me thinking. It seems like the toss sweep is extinct today. I can't recall seeing it in any game recently. Is this correct? Or am I just not watching the right/enough games?? If so, why do teams no longer run this? Also, I have thought that the swing pass idea is good and have wanted to see that in our playbook more. (It worked really well in our first series last week. Especially with the blown coverage!!!)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
O-Line for me.

With the hype coming in, the title given, and the money spent, Key is the biggest dissapointment to me on this coaching staff.
Someone who really knows O-Line play and OL coaching is going to have to come in and say that Key has not done a good job before I start slinging blame. I don't know enough about OL play to determine for myself if the poor OL play is due to coaching or just ability.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your post got me thinking. It seems like the toss sweep is extinct today. I can't recall seeing it in any game recently. Is this correct? Or am I just not watching the right/enough games?? If so, why do teams no longer run this? Also, I have thought that the swing pass idea is good and have wanted to see that in our playbook more. (It worked really well in our first series last week. Especially with the blown coverage!!!)
I think the bubble screen and such have replaced that. It gets the ball out even further, faster, isolating the receiver on the DB one-on-one. Make 1 player miss and there's nothing but green in front of you.

slugboy

Staff member
We ran the toss sweep a lot under Johnson, and I think there’s still a place for it, even with the swing pass and the bubble screen.
When you’re consistently just short of making the edge on an outside run, finding an extra two yards is a big deal.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We ran the toss sweep a lot under Johnson, and I think there’s still a place for it, even with the swing pass and the bubble screen.
When you’re consistently just short of making the edge on an outside run, finding and extra two yards is a big deal.
Too bad our OC doesn't listen to some ideas , ( just keep doing the same things and try putting that square peg in the round hole, some people would like to retire at 54 )

There are 2 ways to coach you only call plays you think are your strengths or you call plays to go against their weakest , But a good coach does both.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I guess schools like Nebraska, Tennessee, and recently FSU have been pumping in major money for their program for years and nothing has come of it
Not to mention Michigan, USC, Oregon, And Texas just to name a few. Michigan And Texas May have turned the corner this year.

Jolly Good Fellow
If so, why do teams no longer run this?
"...If so, why do teams no longer run this?..."
1) WRs can't "stalk" block corners and safeties...they come to catch passes in RPO offenses....
2) 6'6" 315# OL-men can't "reach" block...it is most difficult of all OL blocking schemes
3) LBs run 4.6 40-yd dash...they are as fast as 90% of all RBs.... and LBs are running the "chord" while RBs must run the "arc".....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Chan Gailey’s patented 2nd and long run plays still give me chills
Yeah, he was a super conservative play caller. Field position football and not running plays that could cause a loss or turnover were his top priority. Watching his offense was like watching grass grow. But, hey, it was a “pro style” offense.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
None of the above.

For me, it would be the offensive line, which may or may not involve improving our strength & conditioning and/or OL coaching. I don't know if it's the personnel, the coaching or the S&C or some combination of the three, but we're getting pushed around up front and it's affecting the whole team. I do believe the guys up there are making an effort and I have no criticism of anyone who is doing his best. To get better, improvement on the OL is of absolutely paramount importance.

OL is the most important part of a team, IMO.

Edited comment: After thinking about it, I don't think it's mainly the coaching. I'm sure Key isn't coaching these guys to get pushed around.
I agree with this. Didn’t vote. We’ve been banged up already and it doesn’t help that Jordan Williams walked off without putting weight on his knee. That would be another HUGE loss—pun intended.

Ryan Johnson hasn’t been playing I don’t think. Minihan had a tweak last week. The engine of our team has a couple cylinders down. Until we have some healthy beef up front I expect our struggles to continue.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with this. Didn’t vote. We’ve been banged up already and it doesn’t help that Jordan Williams walked off without putting weight on his knee. That would be another HUGE loss—pun intended.

Ryan Johnson hasn’t been playing I don’t think. Minihan had a tweak last week. The engine of our team has a couple cylinders down. Until we have some healthy beef up front I expect our struggles to continue.
Ryan is #70. He played most of last game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One area that needs improvement is cgc saying every team we play is great just before he says our team is grest.

SOUNDS Delusional

otoh, would it make a difference on the field where it counts? criticism of the things that don't impact the outcomes seem petty at best. I have always felt this way, going back to the days of Pepper. He used to get called out by the GT "fanbase" for the silliest reasons and it made no sense to me even back then as student.Or even worse than a student...when I was just a rat.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It all comes back to the OL though. Either suggestion will work if it’s blocked well. Neither will of it’s not.
Well … recall that Mason averaged 5.2 YPC with our 2019 OL, i.e. an OL put together with masking tape out of walk-ons and partially injured regulars. I don't think we have anyone who would make our OL problems more manageable at RB then he would.

But the coaches seem to think that he's only good for blocking. And, of course, he is; he's easily our best back for that. But he could be more. And he almost certainly won't be. Too bad, that.