What a HUGE Win that was

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
OK, it is 24 hours later, and I still can't tell you how important a win I think that was for our football program.

For many GT fans, faith had been wavering in CPJ, his offensive system, and more importantly in general the question of whether we could effectively compete again. That win has brought back HOPE!

I think support for this program will now start to grow again. I am looking forward to a big crowd for the Miami game, and as long as JT does not get hurt, for the rest of the season. JT creates the feeling that, as long as he is playing, we can somehow come back and win the game.

First conf game, win, first road conf game, win, VT game always big, win. Yes I would say that winning that game is huge. Especially after that crap fumble turned into a TD for the turkeys.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How many times have you felt like the better team against VT? After watching the film, I feel like we were the better team, albeit less fortunate on this given day. IMHO we beat them 7 times out of 10 with this year's teams. That alone should raise some hopes. Their team crushed OSU at home. Just Sayin. We are not great, but we have some great elements to our team and we have guts.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
How many times have you felt like the better team against VT? After watching the film, I feel like we were the better team, albeit less fortunate on this given day. IMHO we beat them 7 times out of 10 with this year's teams. That alone should raise some hopes. Their team crushed OSU at home. Just Sayin. We are not great, but we have some great elements to our team and we have guts.
Boomer, is it you who uses the idiom 'ball rolls our way' to describe the small bits of luck that went VT's way and got them the game over the last few years?

The ball rolled decidedly into VT's hands (for a touchdown) but the Yellow Jackets won despite the obstacles that happenstance and the officiating team threw up. Our luck didn't change, but we sure have.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Man we have some gamers on the team. Those guys who just seem to make plays in big time situations, and our team is loaded with them. JT, Smelter, Hill, White, Griffin, Nealy, Davis, Milton and there are others. Opponents talent level doesnt mean nothin when you got guys who just doesnt know how to lose. This was a huge confidence boost for our team, maybe this will make everyone have that swagger and awaken a sleeping beast. Dont wanna get too enthused, but if we tidy up a few things Miami is gonna get embarrassed.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

I have several times been convinced even in the play of the game that Tech was the better team on the field than VT, maybe once with UGA and twice with Miami and we came up on the wrong side of a close game each time. You have to expect to not win every close game even if you seem to be the "better team" since "better" typically means fairly close to even anyway. But it has been too long to have not ended up on the winning side of a close one and when you could see that Tech should be capable of winning the game.

A big head scratcher to me in those close losses is that the demeanor of CPJ, his rhetoric pre/post game and to the media is such that I have not understood the disconnect between his personality and competitiveness and fire and the team's performance on those particular tough loss days. I have frequently been left with the fear that overall the players just didn't have the streak of meannness, the fierceness, drive and intensity to pull off the close tough ones. But that just doesn't seem like CPJ and never has. So we have gotten to see him getting in anyone's face necessary on the sidelines to try and transfer the focus and intensity he has and so far this year something is clicking better with the on field performance of the players.

Don't know what the change is but I am enjoying seeing its fruits. One great example of what part of it could be is that fantastic response Smelter gave in his post game interview about "believing in the system" to Randy Waters. Does anyone have a recording of that so I can see his exact response again?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
For many GT fans, faith had been wavering in CPJ, his offensive system, and more importantly in general the question of whether we could effectively compete again.
One thing I wanted to add here although I realize this was not really your main point:

I understand why you would think the above but I don't think that this is as bad as it seems. The negative voices and the complaints are always "louder" than the others so sometimes it is perceived as many in number when things aren't going well. It's the easy thing to do to complain; it's difficult to find the silver lining or prove one way or another to the negative voices that things aren't as bad as they seem.