What’s next for the ACC?

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Latest stats I found from 2018-2019 school year show of the 32,700 total students, split half and half between undergrad and grad, roughly 20,000 students are "full-time" with about 14.5k undergrad and almost 6k grad students. There are another 1.6k undergrad and 10k grad students part-time or distance learning only (with 9,852 distance learning only taking only on-line classes). Interesting that even before the pandemic there was already a significant amount of on-line only classes that even undergrads are taking.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Latest stats I found from 2018-2019 school year show of the 32,700 total students, split half and half between undergrad and grad, roughly 20,000 students are "full-time" with about 14.5k undergrad and almost 6k grad students. There are another 1.6k undergrad and 10k grad students part-time or distance learning only (with 9,852 distance learning only taking only on-line classes). Interesting that even before the pandemic there was already a significant amount of on-line only classes that even undergrads are taking.
Any enrollment is good enrollment. We want to be more like Ohio State and less like Wake Forest.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech's academics really fit the ACC the best with some pretty darn good schools.

In the B1G, the primary rival would likely be Purdue. Glad we didn't go that route - I never knew we were included in the Maryland split. Still weird that Maryland left, being a charter member.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve made my opinion on this clear before on this, but I love the ACC and think it is a great fit. The big ten would have been a mistake.
The best fit for Tech was the SEC. But that horse has left the barn. If you look at academics, attendance, etc ... the ACC is a great fit.

What I dont like about the ACC though, is schools like Boston College and Syracuse. There needs to be more consideration of geography rather than size of the media market.

In all fairness, I was not a fan of Missouri or Texas A&M joining the SEC either.

slugboy

Staff member
Tech's academics really fit the ACC the best with some pretty darn good schools.

In the B1G, the primary rival would likely be Purdue. Glad we didn't go that route - I never knew we were included in the Maryland split. Still weird that Maryland left, being a charter member.
Maryland only considered the B1G revenue, and never thought the ACC would charge the (massive) buyout. I’m not sure how expanding to Rutgers and Maryland helped the B1G, aside from helping keep PennSt.

The best fit for Tech was the SEC. But that horse has left the bar.

That is the most beautiful mixed metaphor or typo. It’s a keeper. It’s 100% better than the original. Get that horse a drink, or an Uber if he’s had too many already.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The best fit for Tech was the SEC. But that horse has left the barn. If you look at academics, attendance, etc ... the ACC is a great fit.

What I dont like about the ACC though, is schools like Boston College and Syracuse. There needs to be more consideration of geography rather than size of the media market.

In all fairness, I was not a fan of Missouri or Texas A&M joining the SEC either.
Heck, I wasn’t a fan when Arkansas joined the SEC.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maryland only considered the B1G revenue, and never thought the ACC would charge the (massive) buyout. I’m not sure how expanding to Rutgers and Maryland helped the B1G, aside from helping keep PennSt.

That is the most beautiful mixed metaphor or typo. It’s a keeper. It’s 100% better than the original. Get that horse a drink, or an Uber if he’s had too many already.
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says “Why the long face?” The horse then proceeds to drop a deuce on the floor and walk around knocking things over because horses don’t speak English.

slugboy

Staff member
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says “Why the long face?” The horse then proceeds to drop a deuce on the floor and walk around knocking things over because horses don’t speak English.
A priest, a minister, and a rabbit walk into a bar. The bartender says “what’ll ya have”. The rabbit says “I’m not sure, I think I might be a typo”.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you know if the distance learning folks pay an fees that go to the GTAA?

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Those numbers may be skewed at any given time. If you’re on an internship or coop you’re not considered “full time”. So a lot of those non full time students are just students staying on campus working in and around Atlanta. I’ve worked 6 terms while I’ve been in school, and my best football seasons were when I was working and didn’t have to worry about assignments on the weekends!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think college education is headed for major, major change and CFB along with it, the good news IMO is Technological schools will flourish especially if they're in a metro area. Just my opinion and I've been wrong before. I think it possibly could have been one of several reasons that CGC wanted this job, not discounting all the other reasons that have been said over time.
For the game itself, seems to me they need to get defense back into the game, a lot has been taken away with the "no-defense" game we have today.