Wesley Wells

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
My thing is this. If them going with King for a few games messed with Wells enough for him to lose his confidence and become unable to hit 30 yard FGs, he wasn’t the guy to begin with.
Not necessarily true but we do know what he’s capable of. The other guy hasn’t done anything remarkable and I’ve watched almost every play of every game except last years bowl game.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily true but we do know what he’s capable of. The other guy hasn’t done anything remarkable and I’ve watched almost every play of every game except last years bowl game.
Obviously the other guy hasn’t done anything remarkable. Pretty sure most of us here have watched every snap/game. It’s possible that neither kicker is the guy.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm going to defend the coaches on this. Wells was great last year. David Duvall was the #1 golfer in the game in 1999-2000. After the first win of 2001, he never won another tournament. He completely lost his game. I really don't think the coaches benched a great kicker, causing his game to go down hill. I think it much more likely the kicker's game went down hill causing the coaches to bench him. The coaches are going to play the player they think gives them the best chance to win. If they're sending King out there it's probably not for any other reason than that they think King has the best chance to make the kick.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
My thing is this. If them going with King for a few games messed with Wells enough for him to lose his confidence and become unable to hit 30 yard FGs, he wasn’t the guy to begin with.

If you don’t kick regularly you lose confidence. Wondering if you miss will result in your benching can’t be comfortable.

He should have had the chance to mess up in the games early, as the starter. If he did then you could pull him but he was perfect last year competing against King and didn’t even get the starting job going in, over King this year.

Total coaching flub

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Kickers can get the yips. Maybe wells did in 2 and was shanking balls.

I’ve seen it happen in baseball and guys can’t throw the ball back to the pitcher or around the infield.

Nobody (that I’m aware of) was in practice. I do know that Wells shanked a kickoff OB bad against Pitt so it’s definitely possible he had the shanks.

Now I will say the ball flight looked good today and that wasn’t a bad miss so maybe he’s fixed whatever it was. I hope so. We need some consistency at that position.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If you don’t kick regularly you lose confidence. Wondering if you miss will result in your benching can’t be comfortable.

He should have had the chance to mess up in the games early, as the starter. If he did then you could pull him but he was perfect last year competing against King and didn’t even get the starting job going in, over King this year.

Total coaching flub

You are either related to him or have an agenda. Have you been to practice? Were you there in the Spring? Fall?

Kicking is not like other positions. It is almost all mental at this level. If something got in his head and caused him to start shanking kicks, then why would you put that guy out there.

If he’s worried about being taken out if he misses a kick, he’s not the guy anyways. That’s not the mindset of a winner. Not saying that’s what he was thinking, but if so than we need help.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
You are either related to him or have an agenda. Have you been to practice? Were you there in the Spring? Fall?

Kicking is not like other positions. It is almost all mental at this level. If something got in his head and caused him to start shanking kicks, then why would you put that guy out there.

If he’s worried about being taken out if he misses a kick, he’s not the guy anyways. That’s not the mindset of a winner. Not saying that’s what he was thinking, but if so than we need help.

Nope not related, not at practice, no agenda ( BTW I love it when folks ask that stupid question - sure my agenda is to take over the world one chat room at a time).

Unless you are all of the above I would say we are both doing the exact same thing, sharing our thoughts !

Sorry that I’ve somehow triggered you by suggesting that a player who was perfect last year should have lost his job due to poor performance in a game.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Man people are overthinking this. The guy who kicked better in practice won the job, and the guy who lost his job has shown why he lost it when he got the chance.

I think they both have the same success ratio on kicks with Wells having far fewer attempts.

But it doesn’t matter

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
Even Bama kickers miss. Just missed extra point. Face it; we can’t get Butker back. He’s one of our all time best

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So I have been a tennis player for most of my life. In tennis, hitting a serve is like kicking -- it's not about strength but about have all the mechanics line up to allow for maximum power transfer. At one point years ago, I was tweaking my mechanics in order to try to get more power on my serve. Somehow, I managed to screw up my mechanics so bad, I could barely even make solid contact with the ball. Part of me wonders if that is what has happened with Wells. Perhaps he was trying to get more distance on his kicks, or perhaps the coaches were pushing him to kick the ball farther than his natural range, and he just messed up his mechanics.
It is fixable, but it takes a long time because you have to go back to first principles...

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Going into this game Wells hadn’t even tried a FG and had hit 2-3 extra points.

King was 3-6 on FGs and 14-14 on XPs

So whatever happened happened early, perhaps in camp I don’t know but it seems obvious that Wells hasn’t had a chance this year. Head thing, mechanics or coaching decision

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope not related, not at practice, no agenda ( BTW I love it when folks ask that stupid question - sure my agenda is to take over the world one chat room at a time).

Unless you are all of the above I would say we are both doing the exact same thing, sharing our thoughts !

Sorry that I’ve somehow triggered you by suggesting that a player who was perfect last year should have lost his job due to poor performance in a game.

Not triggered, just competed in a sport at a high level and know what can happen to guys when they get in their own head.

You can look at stats from last year all you want, but none of that changes what has happened in practice leading up to the season or throughout the year. There’s a reason he hasn’t been kicking. Whether you choose to believe it or not won’t change that.

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan

Total coaching flub

James Graham was benched at half time last week, and came out this week and through for 229 yards. your logic simply doesn’t hold up. And ACC football player should be able to handle being benched, and still be able to perform at the level he is expected to perform at.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Not triggered, just competed in a sport at a high level and know what can happen to guys when they get in their own head.

You can look at stats from last year all you want, but none of that changes what has happened in practice leading up to the season or throughout the year. There’s a reason he hasn’t been kicking. Whether you choose to believe it or not won’t change that.

WTF did I do to you ?

I really dont give a damn who kicks but I’ll share my thoughts just as much as you do, you don’t know anymore or less than anyone else ! You damn sure aren’t the only person who has thoughts and your high level competition means absolutely nothing to me unless maybe you are a sports psychologist, which I doubt you are ! The bottom line is your high competition rate hasn’t given you one bit of insight on this issue nor does it tell anyone else why he isn’t kicking. Of course if it does you could just tell us, until then I’ll continue with my thoughts just as I’m sure you will. !

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
James Graham was benched at half time last week, and came out this week and through for 229 yards. your logic simply doesn’t hold up. And ACC football player should be able to handle being benched, and still be able to perform at the level he is expected to perform at.

Ok you got me. Jesus Christ you folks are wound tight.

Pretty sure everyone on the team are ACC players, start em all - they should be able to perform