Wesley Wells

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He did well. But cgc has a roster challenge too. Frankly it may just be bad timing for WW to get one. Thats life. Everyone gets screwed due to timing for no other reason in life at some point.

But we cant complain about not upgrading talent then also want to hand out ships to walkons. Many starting kickers go 3 or 4 years without a ship in college as walkons. Thats why a strong walkon program beneficial. It may give u a starting player without burning a ship for a few years
You don’t build/keep a strong walkon program by not rewarding a walkon who not only makes the two-deep, not only makes the one deep, but becomes your most productive offensive player.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Lifes not fair dude. Kirby did the same with his kicker until he felt comfortable with the roster a year later.

Saban often never gives his starting kickers a ship.
I want to win, but more than that, I don’t want to run a program like Saban and Smart. If winning means we have to over-sign, greyshirt, process and withhold scholarships from walk-ons who are starting then I guess I don’t care about winning all that much.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You don’t build/keep a strong walkon program by not rewarding a walkon who not only makes the two-deep, not only makes the one deep, but becomes your most productive offensive player.

Agreed. Its why gol awarded them but as jr and sr. Lots of ways to skin the cat. If we do that i am fine. We did before

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering how many posters on here have kicked at a D1 school after having a groin injury.

Program morale seems pretty high right now. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over 'hooos killing 'hooo.

Animal02

Banned
Just wondering how many posters on here have kicked at a D1 school after having a groin injury.

Program morale seems pretty high right now. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over 'hooos killing 'hooo.
Pulling a groin muscle sucks.....I wasn't right the rest of the season when I pulled on in H.S. taping it up didn't do much for it either.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agreed. Its why gol awarded them but as jr and sr. Lots of ways to skin the cat. If we do that i am fine. We did before

You keep referring to GOL rewarding then once they became juniors and seniors. As if the schollies were warranted with playing time etc before they became juniors or seniors but only got the scholly after becoming upper classmen.

Are you certain the ones you refer to didn’t get the pt to earn one once they became jrs/srs and not before. I’d speculate most if not all developed and began to get pt and were then rewarded.

Can you cite specific players?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I can come up with a couple of examples of walk ons in the last decade that were awarded scholarships and still chose to leave after graduation with remaining eligibility. One played last year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I can come up with a couple of examples of walk ons in the last decade that were awarded scholarships and still chose to leave after graduation with remaining eligibility. One played last year.

Seems neither here nor there. That can happen with any player, walk-on or scholarship out of HS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So much to say.
Walk ons being critical to program means BAD things are happening.

Attrition of starter -
due to injury (burnett 40?)

Or personal walk off (Andrews - unknown) cause 15 w have injuries and play some thin freshmen . 31 red shirted and is a beast.

A position coach cant bring players to peak performance ( Sewak and Klock and Bryan start as freshmen!! But Klock left and would RATHER BE A 5th yearc BIT PLAYER AT a successfulb NORTHWESTERN. Bryan got left out his senior year after starting half way thru true freshmen year. After starting Lee as freshmen- he can't finish so we start a r freshmen. The Morgans into black hole. Thank goodness for the Walk on B Idemeyer - he helped out a lot .

If we can get a pipeline of 5th year senior going - they will be solid their 4th and 5th year . DEVELOP THEM, PLAY THEM SOME, AND HAVE FUN. After freshmen year put the high academic guys on lighter class load w Heavy business intern ATL.

My son did this in college. Itcwas a disorganized college and he walked on. BETWEEN his r shirt Jr year and r sr year his body TOTALLY transformed into a man beast . All conference. Then injured. Now a coach and loving it.

Doesn't a winning program have motivated r jr and r sr all thru the roster .

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Seems neither here nor there. That can happen with any player, walk-on or scholarship out of HS.
It was said earlier that if we didn't offer a scholarship then a player might graduate early and move on. I was just pointing out that a scholarship doesn't guarantee a guy will stick around for 4 years. Not trying to single anyone out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It was said earlier that if we didn't offer a scholarship then a player might graduate early and move on. I was just pointing out that a scholarship doesn't guarantee a guy will stick around for 4 years. Not trying to single anyone out.

But without a free ride there is even less incentive to stick around.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to win, but more than that, I don’t want to run a program like Saban and Smart. If winning means we have to over-sign, greyshirt, process and withhold scholarships from walk-ons who are starting then I guess I don’t care about winning all that much.

This. Lots of us may not have been around long enough to know, but this is part of our DNA at Tech. It’s analogous to the reason Bobby Dodd & Co. left the SEC.

Tech isn’t (and has never been) about titles at all costs, players be damned. I hope we never lose that. Because ultimately it’s a lot more satisfying to win when you’ve built a program that does what’s right off the field.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Money shouldn't have anything to do with it. Oklahoma QB signed big baseball deal, did he deserve a football scholarship too or should it have been pulled when he signed it? He was backup until this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

There are no guarantees, but the offer of a scholarship boosts the chances of sticking around.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
There are no guarantees, but the offer of a scholarship boosts the chances of sticking around.
But without a free ride there is even less incentive to stick around.
Assuming a walk-on's career plans do not include football (which I think is a fair assumption for a GT walk-on), I can't see one prolonging their graduation and incurring exponentially growing opportunity costs to play football, and I say that as somebody who enjoyed student life at Tech. But I do agree in the pedantic sense that the scholarship will only help the odds of sticking around.