Wes Wilcox is gone

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Hawks just fired Wilcox. I believe he is just the face and owner Tony Ressler and Bud actually make the calls. This is just a move to "please" the fans. To say look, we are looking for a different direction but not really.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hawks just fired Wilcox. I believe he is just the face and owner Tony Ressler and Bud actually make the calls. This is just a move to "please" the fans. To say look, we are looking for a different direction but not really.

That Goodman tweet was apparently wrong or at least premature. Hawks say he hasn't been fired and that they're "evaluating everything" or w/e. Woj tweeted that Budz is actually considering letting the President title go so he can go back to being full-time coach-only. That would be shocking.

If all Wilcox does is parrot what Budz/Ressler say, he needs to be fired. The problem is they need a real GM.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That Goodman tweet was apparently wrong or at least premature. Hawks say he hasn't been fired and that they're "evaluating everything" or w/e. Woj tweeted that Budz is actually considering letting the President title go so he can go back to being full-time coach-only. That would be shocking.

If all Wilcox does is parrot what Budz/Ressler say, he needs to be fired. The problem is they need a real GM.

Too bad Danny Ferry didn't have a gate between his thoughts and his mouth...

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
This is just a mess. I just heard that Wilcox wanted to rebuild(me too) and not resign Trillsap to 10 billion dollars. Who knows how this is going to play out. I'm guessing Ressler gets his way(duh)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Too bad Danny Ferry didn't have a gate between his thoughts and his mouth...

Don't get me started on Dan E. Ferry. There's a reason the Hawks are having to chase and overpay these over-the-hill vets and there's a reason he's not a GM anywhere.

This is just a mess. I just heard that Wilcox wanted to rebuild(me too) and not resign Trillsap to 10 billion dollars. Who knows how this is going to play out. I'm guessing Ressler gets his way(duh)

It is indeed a mess. Seems like Ressler's meddling which, IMO, is even more detrimental than having an incompetent GM. I prefer retooling over rebuilding since I don't think there's any future in tanking. If the next lebron was coming up then maybe but none of these guys are that dude.

- Offer Sap no more than a 2yr deal. If he balks, wish him well in ORL or some other such garbage team that offers more.
- Pay Taj Gibson and Ersan to man the 4.
- Draft an energy big to develop (I like the Hartenstein guy).
- Do whatever you can to trade Bazemore. BKN would take him, they just need competent bodies. NOP could as well. Anybody can be traded, just gotta be creative as a GM.
- If you can't trade him, make him your 6th man. His value is in playing vs backups. Yeah, he's paid starter money but you can't unsign the stupid contract so live with it.
- If you can trade Baze, pay/match THJ. Certainly has warts but at least I can see a path to him being a starting 2. There was never a path for Bazemore to be a starter.
- Invest in Prince's development. If nothing else, he wasn't scared in the playoffs. Just as Dennis did before, he looked like he belonged out there. Just needs seasoning.
- Bye Thabo. Thanks for your years of service.
- Either draft a defensive-minded 2 or sign one out of the DLeague. Due to Bazemore's stupid contract, you gotta roll the dice on someone cheap panning out. Again, this is if you can't trade Baze and you lose THJ.

** Also, revamp the coaching staff. Notice no one is clamoring for our assistants the way the league clamored for Snyder and Atkinson. I'm sure there has been a drop-off there.

Just my 2 cents.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Coach Bud is the best thing the Hawks have going for them. Any thoughts of getting rid of him as our coach is idiotic. Just give him some damn talent!

I hope my post didn't come across as an anti-Budz post. I love him. Best coach we've had since Fratello (who I hated at the time but came to love during the Bob Weiss years, ugh).

I do, however, want changes among the assistants. I have no idea what they're giving us. When Atkinson/Snyder were here, we heard all the time about the impact they were having specifically. Player development was their expertise. We also heard they were prime HC candidates. We hear none of those things about the current guys.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I am now on #TeamWilcox. I know kg and a few others don't want to tear it down but as I said and LeBron is showing with sweep after sweep, he is running the East til he retires or goes to the Lakers. Supposedly Wilcox wanted to trade Millsap for picks and cap fillers but Bud said no. So now we are stuck with paying him til he is 80 and 40 mil a year or losing him for nothing to the Magic, T- Wolves or some other generic place.
If we trade our future(Prince, Bembry, and picks) for Paul George or Jimmy Butler will that put us pass Cleveland? I think it get us to game 6 instead of a sweep, that's it.
Why not do what Wilcox wanted to do and go young but Bud said no (duh a Coach never wants to tank and is the REASON THEY SHOULD WEAR BOTH HATS)
It would be smart to let Boston, Toronto, Washington and a few others mortgage their future to make a run (which won't happen bc you know King James)
While us a Philly stack up and get ready to dominate.
One of the rumored trades was Randle, a pick and cap fillers for Millsap, and Bud said no.
PG- Schröder 23 yrs old
SG- Hardaway Jr 25 yrs old
SF- Prince 23 yrs old
PF- Julius Randle 22 yrs old
C- Biggie Swanigan/Hartenstein/Collins whichever Rookie
6th man- Bembry 22 yrs old
That lineup would all be 25 or younger and not a bad line up but not a championship lineup. It's a solid 6th seed team like we are now minus all the money and old guys(Baze to Nets for a couple 2nds, Dwight to Knicks for a 2nd).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hear you @ChasonBaller and I'm staunchly against tanking. Name me 1 team that won based on tanking. I'll wait. SAS tanked to get Duncan but it was a 1-year strategy based on injury they didn't repeat. Tanking now is a job preservation strategy by GMs that lack the imagination to truly build a winner. "Hey look, we're winning 12 games but look at all deees picks!" Sounds good in theory and on paper but you don't win games on paper.

All Philly's supposed assets and they stink. They're gonna stink next year and might get to an 8th-seed level possibly a year or two after that. I get it. Embiid looks all fancy and whatnot but the reality is he'll never be healthy enough to achieve whatever people think his potential is. After all the sound and fury, dude was only able to play like 30 games and they stunk. Fast forward and what's the expectation on winning there? You don't win young in the NBA so I don't believe they'll be a playoff-winning team for at least 3 years and that's assuming their pick this year doesn't bust. That's a huge assumption because guards bust quite often nowadays.

On Wilcox, it's sad to hear he wanted to get rid of Sap but was rebuffed. Sad because it sounds now like the owner's gonna start meddling in personnel decisions. That's a recipe for unmitigated disaster. I get that Ressler likes Sap. That's fine but offering him anything over 2 years would be a cap disaster.

If that doesn't scare you, consider Joe Dumars is a legit candidate for the Hawks GM job. Noooooooooo!!!!!

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I am now on #TeamWilcox. I know kg and a few others don't want to tear it down but as I said and LeBron is showing with sweep after sweep, he is running the East til he retires or goes to the Lakers. Supposedly Wilcox wanted to trade Millsap for picks and cap fillers but Bud said no. So now we are stuck with paying him til he is 80 and 40 mil a year or losing him for nothing to the Magic, T- Wolves or some other generic place.
If we trade our future(Prince, Bembry, and picks) for Paul George or Jimmy Butler will that put us pass Cleveland? I think it get us to game 6 instead of a sweep, that's it.
Why not do what Wilcox wanted to do and go young but Bud said no (duh a Coach never wants to tank and is the REASON THEY SHOULD WEAR BOTH HATS)
It would be smart to let Boston, Toronto, Washington and a few others mortgage their future to make a run (which won't happen bc you know King James)
While us a Philly stack up and get ready to dominate.
One of the rumored trades was Randle, a pick and cap fillers for Millsap, and Bud said no.
PG- Schröder 23 yrs old
SG- Hardaway Jr 25 yrs old
SF- Prince 23 yrs old
PF- Julius Randle 22 yrs old
C- Biggie Swanigan/Hartenstein/Collins whichever Rookie
6th man- Bembry 22 yrs old
That lineup would all be 25 or younger and not a bad line up but not a championship lineup. It's a solid 6th seed team like we are now minus all the money and old guys(Baze to Nets for a couple 2nds, Dwight to Knicks for a 2nd).
I wanted to trade Sap at the deadline too rather than lose him for nothing. That being said^^that lineup is terrible and def picking in the lottery. Schroder is only legitimate starter, and I like Prince' potential. Timmy had good year but needs to be coming off the bench.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wanted to trade Sap at the deadline too rather than lose him for nothing. That being said^^that lineup is terrible and def picking in the lottery. Schroder is only legitimate starter, and I like Prince' potential. Timmy had good year but needs to be coming off the bench.

Heh, I think that's his point though. To tank and get into the lottery.

I'm fine with losing Sap for 'nothing' rather than tying up capspace with guys we don't want. Choosing not to tie up capspace is something of value in 2018 NBA. IOW, not 'nothing'.

IIUC, the Randall+ for Sap deal was a rumor from the LAL people which IMHO was put out to discredit the ousted Buss brothers. I don't believe that was ever on the table. Now, the deal(s) to PHX and DEN in the offseason, those I believe were out there. I just don't know what the pieces were. I suspect neither included lotto picks so I'm kinda 'meh' on them. Neither of those teams have anyone I want, of guys who'd be available.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Jusuf Nurkic was allegedly involved in those talks. If they were willing to trade him and a 1st for Plumlee(also a free agent), imagine what we would get for Millsap. Nurkic is a baller when healthy.