We're NCAAT Bound! (maybe)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not a big fan of his. I always get the impression that anything is says is concentrated on Rick Pitino. First, last, and always.

Agreed. That's why it's not worth overthinking it.

It's amusing because it's self serving.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not a fan of the idea, but it would be pretty simple in practice. There are 346 D1 teams, so 166 would get automatic seeding in the first round. That means the first week of the tournament (one week earlier than the current schedule) you would have 45 games (played on college campuses) on both Tuesday and Wednesday. The winners of those games (90 teams) would be seeds 167 through 256. Then you would have opening round games Thursday through Sunday that would shrink the field to 64 teams. These could also be on college campuses or at sites picked by the NCAA. Would all those games be TV worthy? Of course not. But it would be pretty convenient to have the Sunday losers be the field for the NIT.

This would add a bunch of games, but all these games would be the alternative to the conference tournaments. And, you only add one week to the NCAA Tournament. This would be a fairer way to select the 64 teams than the current ranking method. If Florida Gulf Coast really belonged in the field of 64, they play their way in and not simply win the Atlantic Sun Tournament.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am not a fan of the idea, but it would be pretty simple in practice. There are 346 D1 teams, so 166 would get automatic seeding in the first round. That means the first week of the tournament (one week earlier than the current schedule) you would have 45 games (played on college campuses) on both Tuesday and Wednesday. The winners of those games (90 teams) would be seeds 167 through 256. Then you would have opening round games Thursday through Sunday that would shrink the field to 64 teams. These could also be on college campuses or at sites picked by the NCAA. Would all those games be TV worthy? Of course not. But it would be pretty convenient to have the Sunday losers be the field for the NIT.

This would add a bunch of games, but all these games would be the alternative to the conference tournaments. And, you only add one week to the NCAA Tournament. This would be a fairer way to select the 64 teams than the current ranking method. If Florida Gulf Coast really belonged in the field of 64, they play their way in and not simply win the Atlantic Sun Tournament.
Yeah I do think it would be more equitable than the current system and certainly make for some crazy upsets. Scouting the teams out would be darn near impossible though to prep for the permutations of who you might see.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I mean, yeah it's kinda of silly, but if you look at it in terms of survival of the fittest, if you make the Sweet 16 or better, there's not much anyone can say to you about how watered down the tournament was. You literally played in a field of everyone.

If anyone follows soccer, most countries have a national tournament where EVERYONE can qualify for it. From amatuer teams to professional teams. It's usually teams from the top leagues that make it to the quarterfinals on, but every so often a low level team miraculously makes it and it's a pretty awesome story.

They say tournament play is about the quality of your guards, and we have one of the best guard combos in the nation. Will be interesting to see them in a tournament environment.