Well, Well, Well.....

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
How did this turn into a uniform thread?

So is it true that the board of regents won't allow Tech to drop the calc requirement for certain majors? (I read that on another board).

I would love to see the proof that the BOR actually did that. My own cynical self says that the odds are likely about 4-1 that it was the Hill who said that and not the BOR.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding uniforms, the baseball players I coach sure seem to think uniforms matter. Almost every one of them claim that Oregon is their 2nd or 3rd favorite team....the reason: "Their uniforms are sick!"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see the proof that the BOR actually did that. My own cynical self says that the odds are likely about 4-1 that it was the Hill who said that and not the BOR.

What happened to the ol' Math for Management classes? Did they do away with those courses and replace them with Survey of Calc? Or was it always the same thing just a name change?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe I get nuked again but aren't the FB players taking their Calc courses at that CC up the road instead of at Tech. Stanford sends theirs "up the hill" for any hard classes. Keeps the GPA busters to a minimum. Factories don't have to do this because they don't have nut busting requirements.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
They make look like clowns but kids love them..and they are winning a good bit of games lately.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Reply to Dabuzz: The Oregon uniforms are sick; I get nauseated every time I see them. They look like a bunch of clowns!

Rodney, I happen to agree with you. But Tech football isn't trying to recruit a bunch of old guys like us, they're trying to appeal to 17 & 18 year olds. THEY tend to think they're hot.

(FWIW, I hate the "sick" statement. Again, though...that's what the young 'uns like)

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not claiming to be any more knowledgeable, and haven't read the Stingtalk thread, but Tech only offers BS degrees. I'm pretty sure that calculus-level math and a 3-sequence science is a requirement for a Baccalaureate of Science degree.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
dabuzz: I also hate the "sick" statement as it is not a correct statement. Sick means it is not well or it is falling apart physically. It does not denote something good, so I hate that statement to sound like something is great. Even though I am old, I still do not like dumb. I agree with you on the dislike of the misuse of that word.

I will go a little further on the choice of uniforms. Once I began thinking about the issue, I have come to the conclusion that tradition should prevail,and it is not up to the patients to run the institution. It should be up to the Administration of the School, the Sports Department, and the fans as to the colors of the uniforms. The players will be here for a couple of years and then be gone. The School and fans will still be here. Regardless of their wants, in the final analysis, it is the money from the fans and boosters who make it possible for the players to be here and for there to be a football team. Without the fans and the incoming money, the players would get no education and no chance to show off their talents to the pros for the few who make it.

We can sometimes let things get out of the proper order, so we do not need the patients running the institution.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I will go a little further on the choice of uniforms. Once I began thinking about the issue, I have come to the conclusion that tradition should prevail,and it is not up to the patients to run the institution. It should be up to the Administration of the School, the Sports Department, and the fans as to the colors of the uniforms. The players will be here for a couple of years and then be gone. The School and fans will still be here. Regardless of their wants, in the final analysis, it is the money from the fans and boosters who make it possible for the players to be here and for there to be a football team. Without the fans and the incoming money, the players would get no education and no chance to show off their talents to the pros for the few who make it.

We can sometimes let things get out of the proper order, so we do not need the patients running the institution.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I think the fans and administration of the school should have absolutely ZERO input....especially the administration who never even attend a game.

And I think your analogy of "patients running the institution" is backwards. We (the fans) are the patients. The players are the "doctors". They're the ones we patients are paying to see.

We can appease all of the old "I like traditional uniform" old guys we want, but if that means we lose out on a recruit or two every year, then I say we're putting our priorities in the wrong order.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Rodney..........can you imagine the inmates running the aslyams ? No I have had privilege of wearing three uniforms during 38 yrs of service .The unis never changed much at all and you could still tell a Marine or Soldier or Airman or Coast Guard guy or gal when you see them but last year I went to Charleston and saw the new Navy unis...........blue pants with marine color tan tops and a piss cutter........guys around were wondering who they were.Also under Gen McPeak saw AR unis change four times in four years until the Generals one day said enough Bill and went back to the traditional.Bad thing is that we had such wonderful looking unis.......in 1990 our blue ones were voted the best unis in the ACC and yet we dont wear them at all..........look at the NFL and others and the numbers on the shoulders....that was a tech thing also.A school like tech is made up of grads who like football and many of us dumb(in my case)sidewalk fans and to keep the team intact you would think a uniform acceptable would be appropriate but after six in six years when I look on the field I just wonder where is the tradition of tech ! To me its seems we or the uniform makers have told us old farts to take a back seat since they know better than we do..I dont think so........we need to go back to Dodd unis and Ross or even Carson for one or two games a season and see how well we look.....come on guys chicken wire and blue and urine yellow insults the gold and white.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
They make look like clowns but kids love them..and they are winning a good bit of games lately.
Yes the key world is ........lately.I understand a new coach getting fans to back the team with outrageous unis..It works for Oregon but does it work for MD ? When the golf coach picks out the display you are wearing on Saturday anything goes.I dont want to be the Oregon of the East uniform wise but like to have their wins.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I think the fans and administration of the school should have absolutely ZERO input....especially the administration who never even attend a game.

And I think your analogy of "patients running the institution" is backwards. We (the fans) are the patients. The players are the "doctors". They're the ones we patients are paying to see.

We can appease all of the old "I like traditional uniform" old guys we want, but if that means we lose out on a recruit or two every year, then I say we're putting our priorities in the wrong order.
I agree with some of your points on the Hill etc but what you will see in my humble opinion is folks will not return to the stadium if we still look like we are wearing Oregon unis .You are so right we..........regardless of age dictate the program by money.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If it was up to some there would be crackhead rappers on the sidelines. I want the team to win as much as anyone, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The men need to get back in charge of the program and leave the women to the cooking.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
If it was up to some there would be crackhead rappers on the sidelines. I want the team to win as much as anyone, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The men need to get back in charge of the program and leave the women to the cooking.
sounds good to me.....somebody has to to be in charge.