Well, Well, Well.....

LibertyTurns

Banned
I've heard a few Tech players gripe about wearing better quality jerseys when they were in high school, i.e. Russell sucks.
How is it that Russell can suck for so long? You'd think they'd wave a pile of cash at the Nike people and hire them away so they could get better. Or are they trying to be like the Detroit car makers- produce a low cost piece of crap and work their revenue a nickel at a time?

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
In my opinion... The best looking uniform that Georgia Tech wore all year and for the past several years for that matter was the Throwbacks. If they had played good in them it would of really helped.

9269725.jpeg
9269656.jpeg

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who believe in sticking to the tradition of the school in color and makeup of the uniforms, I agree that this is often a drawing point for some athletes. The two things that mean the most when parents are raising children are love and discipline. If you have both administered equally, your children will be good kids and good citizens. A parent who does not have discipline and some traditions will see their children wavering on values and morals. I like to use the analogy of the lighthouse. If a lighthouse was not stationary, it would be useless, and the ships would all get lost or stuck in the sandbars and other hazards of the sea. The stationary lighthouse allows the ships captains to steer safely, because they always know where the safety lies in the midst of the nightime hazards of the sea.

A child who has the same values and morals taught to them daily along with some traditions, always have something to get them on the right path again when they wander off the safe paths. They use the lighthouse as their guide. Moving values and morals cause them to be unstable with no guidance. Possibly, a school that does not change at the whim of the athletes, may be much more of a steadying influence on the kids coming to them who need discipline and tradition. They need some values and traditions to help them become stable. For this reason, some may choose a school because it has a history of traditions and a penchant for being stable. So, traditions may not be a bad thing.

Would some outlandish uniform help to win games or to become a life within itself?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: Trendy Uniforms a Differentiator
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...all-recruiting-uniforms-selling-point-schools

"Fifty-two percent of the players surveyed said they believed the way they look in a uniform helps them perform better on the field."

"They can be a difference-maker if the recruit is struggling to choose between two relatively even programs. "If they're exactly the same, I think uniforms would push them ahead of the other school," five-star defensive end Lorenzo Carter of Norcross, Ga., said. "If I got the same feel for both schools, they're in the same type of place, then yeah, uniforms would make a difference." "

"Dupree concurred. "That's probably a better example of when uniforms can come into play. If they're both [equal], and this one school has better uniforms, then that's going to bump them up a little for me and for almost every recruit out there." "

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's analyze the statement by Lorenzo Carter if he really made it, and really considered it, or just answered off the wall (Also, Durpree). I believe it comes down to this both players were probably saying, "After I considered all the important things and all other things, and everything else is equal, I would choose the team with the best shoe strings, or the team with best socks, or the team with the best bath towels, or the best food, or the best whatever! I can almost assure you the uniforms are way down the line in his decisions. Forget about the uniforms and zero in on the real reason he would choose a school to attend. I still say a recruit would consider first of all the coach, then playing time (the first two could be interchangeable), whether he wants to play close to his family and friends, his education interest, etal. I doubt you will hear a coach approach a recruit and try to persuade him to come to his school because we have some reall goofy looking uniforms.

Chad

Georgia Tech Fan
vt gt.jpg lil jow.jpg acc champ.png There are my personal favorite of all time. I am only 23 so I haven't seen as much as you other guys.

Attachments

• acc champ.png
    acc champ.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 26
  • vt gt.jpg
    vt gt.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 25
  • lil jow.jpg
    lil jow.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 27

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
How did this turn into a uniform thread?

So is it true that the board of regents won't allow Tech to drop the calc requirement for certain majors? (I read that on another board).

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
How did this turn into a uniform thread?

So is it true that the board of regents won't allow Tech to drop the calc requirement for certain majors? (I read that on another board).

I would doubt that is true, although I don't think having to take "Survey of Calculus" is a recruiting deterrent. The bigger problem is that there is only one math class below Calculus offered at Tech (pre-calc) and I don't think you even get elective credit for it. So guys can't come in take a college algebra/trig equivalent class, then pre-calc, and the survey of calc I and II and get credit for all 5 classes. They are almost forced to go straight to calc I and II. This also hurts in getting JUCO's, because they most likely took college algebra and trig so that is 6 credit hours that don't transfer which doesn't give them enough progress towards a degree for the year they are in. It used to be that even pre-calculus didn't even transfer and get credit for cause Tech didn't offer it.

I seriously doubt any kid has not chosen Tech solely because they didn't want to take Survey of Calculus.

Found a survey of most common majors for BCS football players:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703743504575493773613076844

I wonder what most majors would map to at Tech. Maybe Tech could sell their HTS or Public Policy programs for people desiring Comm/Sociology majors. The new sports focus major in this thread can be sold to sports management and to Sports and Exercise majors. Maybe could even sell a mgmt degree with a minor in the sports, society, and tech.

The one's we don't have an currently have an answer that were popular: General Studies, Liberal Arts, Social Work, Law and Justice.

Tech could probably offer something good enough for half of these majors to convince somebody to come to Tech if they like Tech football. I wonder how many of these players would actually major in General Studies, Liberal Arts, Social Work, Law and Justice if they didn't play football and paid their own way to the local community college; my guess is not many.

CATEGORY OF MAJORNUMBERCATEGORY OF MAJORNUMBER
Business
Engineering
Sociology
Political Science
Communications
Linguistics
Liberal Arts
Agricultural
General Studies
Hospitality
Sports and Exercise
Art, Music, Film
Social Work
English
Law and Justice
Zoology
Sports Management
Architecture
Education
Mathematics
History
Spanish
Psychology
Philosophy

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Even in the majors that we have in common doesn't make it equal. I bet it takes at least twice as much work to complete the GT version. I'd also wager GT's tests in similar subjects are at least twice as hard. (An order of 3 to 4 x is more likely.)

The vast majority of blue chip SA's want a fast track through school. We need to find the one's that value a rigorous course load. It is my contention there are very few of these special players and they're spread out over a large geographic area. We're in the south and in one of the worst states in the country for academic achievement. You do the math.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
DCS, while most people like things to be easy, I doubt Tech's perceived academic difficulty actually has a negative effect on recruiting. Other schools would look bad to criticize "hard"schooling; and Tech would just sell the benefits and the support system in place. Not enough Winning, being owned by UGA, and not enough sold out crowds, and major choice are far greater contributors to lack of recruiting success. I bet the choice of Russell as the uniform maker would be comparable to academic difficulty as a deterrent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
DCS, while most people like things to be easy, I doubt Tech's perceived academic difficulty actually has a negative effect on recruiting. Other schools would look bad to criticize "hard"schooling; and Tech would just sell the benefits and the support system in place. Not enough Winning, being owned by UGA, and not enough sold out crowds, and major choice are far greater contributors to lack of recruiting success. I bet the choice of Russell as the uniform maker would be comparable to academic difficulty as a deterrent.
I think you are right as far as how schools recruit against us. In the old days, they used to throw down a fat Calc book on the the table and it might as well have been written in Chinese. I doubt that happens anymore, but I do believe it weighs heavily in the minds of recruits. The top guys think they don't need the school part of college. How funny is that?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep like those pictures ...clean lines...no stripes or slashes and no black socks.....better than today's unis by far.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Let's analyze the statement by Lorenzo Carter if he really made it, and really considered it, or just answered off the wall (Also, Durpree). I believe it comes down to this both players were probably saying, "After I considered all the important things and all other things, and everything else is equal, I would choose the team with the best shoe strings, or the team with best socks, or the team with the best bath towels, or the best food, or the best whatever! I can almost assure you the uniforms are way down the line in his decisions. Forget about the uniforms and zero in on the real reason he would choose a school to attend. I still say a recruit would consider first of all the coach, then playing time (the first two could be interchangeable), whether he wants to play close to his family and friends, his education interest, etal. I doubt you will hear a coach approach a recruit and try to persuade him to come to his school because we have some reall goofy looking uniforms.
right on! If unis are big factorr
Chad you have wisdom beyond your years (y)
Yep he is spot on...if unis are so important......Maryland would win every yr.