Weight room construction

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I asked Eric about it in the chat today based on a tweet by Will Jackson. Just said they are rebuilding it. How big a change or what that all entails I'm not sure. Can't be a bad thing though.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
When you look at what Oregon and Bama have done with their weight rooms everybody had to upgrade.

Animal02

Banned
I guess the new modern weight equipment and specialized rooms will magically make kids stronger. I find some of this stuff amusing. I guess in today's climate you have to do whatever will get recruits through the door.

Well, I do thing the modern machines makes kids stronger than the old "universal" machines I used way back in the stone age. I do remember my last year of H.S, they sprung for a couple of "Nautilus" machines (that was the current fad) One was the neck machine----I increased my neck size from a 14-17 in about 4-5 months.......pissed my mom off since we had to wear dress shirts for school. ;) and we had no neck/head injuries that season.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I guess the new modern weight equipment and specialized rooms will magically make kids stronger. I find some of this stuff amusing. I guess in today's climate you have to do whatever will get recruits through the door.
There is a psychosocial aspect of the new weight rooms most people discount. What makes you want to go fishing more (pretend you fish if you don't for this scenario) the fishing section at Walmart or the one (half the store) at Bass Pro? They both have the equipment 99.9% of us need, Walmart is cheaper and is a one stop shop for other things, but given the option I'll browse around Bass Pro. Same deal with golf items from any sports store or a pga superstore.

The point is, an inviting environment will keep the guys in there longer (which makes them stronger and bond with teammates) and hopefully it'll be a draw to recruits on the fence. I'll agree it's a fad and on paper it shouldn't have any effect on the performance of our athletes. The reality is it's probably worth the gamble.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow

When the existing weight room was constructed in the mid 80s, I recall it being one of the nation's best (I believe Nebraska was the other). The UGA folks were even jealous. I also remember the old old weight room under the north stands. It was less impressive.

I worked out a lot over in Wardlaw(sp?). For the life of me, I can't imagine what's wrong with it. I tend to agree with Boomer.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When the existing weight room was constructed in the mid 80s, I recall it being one of the nation's best (I believe Nebraska was the other). The UGA folks were even jealous. I also remember the old old weight room under the north stands. It was less impressive.

I worked out a lot over in Wardlaw(sp?). For the life of me, I can't imagine what's wrong with it. I tend to agree with Boomer.
This is all about recruiting and poking our chest out and less about actual advances in weight room technology I'm sure. While there have been steady improvements in techniques and equipment over the years, resulting in better conditioned athletes, ultimately it is just about hard work, good diet and sleep. If you are not of the mindset to work, then no amount of fancy workout space and equipment is going to help you. If you are of the mindset to work, you are probably less concerned about how pretty the walls are anyway. You get my drift.

I am not saying that doing this upgrade isn't important. I just want to characterize it as I believe it to be. It's primary objective is probably to wow kids who are on tour. The rest is just gravy. If it does indeed help with recruiting, then I am all for it.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
This is all about recruiting and poking our chest out and less about actual advances in weight room technology I'm sure. While there have been steady improvements in techniques and equipment over the years, resulting in better conditioned athletes, ultimately it is just about hard work, good diet and sleep. If you are not of the mindset to work, then no amount of fancy workout space and equipment is going to help you. If you are of the mindset to work, you are probably less concerned about how pretty the walls are anyway. You get my drift.

I am not saying that doing this upgrade isn't important. I just want to characterize it as I believe it to be. It's primary objective is probably to wow kids who are on tour. The rest is just gravy. If it does indeed help with recruiting, then I am all for it.

The best gyms and workouts I remember having outside of GT looked like they would burn down from one lit cigarette. Coffees, Worlds, etc. there were some bad dudes who pushed a ton of weight there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Even compared to the factories, Tech weight room is one the nicer ones you can find.

Lots of GT fans like to complain about our resources, but facility-wise, GT has some of the best facilities for any college program. When programs like UGA and Florida don't have indoor practice fields, that should tell our fans something. Especially given how much land in the city costs.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of GT fans like to complain about our resources, but facility-wise, GT has some of the best facilities for any college program. When programs like UGA and Florida don't have indoor practice fields, that should tell our fans something. Especially given how much land in the city costs.

We were doing the submerged body fat tests and that kind of stuff in the early 90s. Tech had great resources for their athletes. We have great facilities. I recognize the times but wish we could keep in perspective.

I guess Oregon started the facilities race? Regardless, it is what it is.

Buzz1965

Georgia Tech Fan
Anytime now days you can improve your facilities it will help.. It's all about recruiting and to do that you need to improve facilities almost yearly!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a link that talks about the new weight room:

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/nov/12/techs-weight-room-plans/

We're restricted by space, and I don't think we're getting funds (or the land) to build a new weight room so there's really not too much we can do. I think updating the design and getting new equipment will be the major upgrades. Like Eric mentioned, we'll probably add a few ancillary things like nutrition bar and probably some physio stuff, but not too much we can really do due to location of the weight room.