WEEK 6 #GTvsDUKE MEDIA

CEB

Helluva Engineer
In Key's press conference, I was trying to read between the lines. Paraphrasing, he said in response to OL blocking that there is still some confusion, they need for practice to be as intense as it is in a game, that they are working on getting it there, but aren't there yet. Reading between the lines, it sounds like a lot of the issues with position play and coaching was more on the person running the practice style than on the position caoches.
I was reading between those same lines…

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to hear Elko talk about how disciplined their D wanted to be with Armstrong and that their focus was to keep contain and get hands in passing lanes. They knew how dynamic he could be moving around and getting out of the pocket.
Based on what we have seen on our side, I would anticipate they take a very similar approach again this week. Sims may have a little time to throw because they may opt to dare him to do it.... I think duke may try to make it hard for him to tuck it and go, so he’s going to have to make some throws.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In Key's press conference, I was trying to read between the lines. Paraphrasing, he said in response to OL blocking that there is still some confusion, they need for practice to be as intense as it is in a game, that they are working on getting it there, but aren't there yet. Reading between the lines, it sounds like a lot of the issues with position play and coaching was more on the person running the practice style than on the position caoches.

Several players got on social media to defend their position coaches getting fired last offseason. A lot of mentions of fired coaches being "scapegoated".

Key also said that past practices weren't always in full pads with 1s going against 1s, and not always going full speed. Starting to sound a lot like NFL type practices where full pads and starters vs starters is limited due to NFLPA involvement.

Not sure how OL play can improve without going full pads and at full speed. Will be interesting to see how the OL develops over the season now. Maybe OL development the past 3 seasons wasn't so much on Key, and more on the constraints of what Key was told to do.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It was pretty funny that he was winking at them too to kinda show them that he was joking.
He handled it really well, and it was a good presser. I thought the only time he kind of "broke character" was when they were asking about King and I think he was right in wanting confirmation before he talked about an injury. The response from someone off camera was something like, "you can do whatever you want... you're the coach!" He kind of had an "aw shucks" moment like it sunk in... I know winning makes every coach likable, but so far, I like him.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been hard on Key and the other GT players turned coaches for not code redding the previous guy after week 2 in 2019 when they all must have known he was clueless. Key especially going from Saban’s regimented system to whatever the last guy was doing had to be a shocker. I’m still not thrilled that he and Choice let that guy destroy our program for 3 years while they sat quietly watching it but Key does appear to be righting the wrongs. So I’m prepared to simply chalk up 4 lost years to the football gods finallly catching up with GT. After basically 30 years of good runs with Ross, O’Leary, Gailey, and Johnson we were past due for a dud. Bama had those years with Shula, UGA with Donnan and Goof, etc so we were due. Let’s hope we have paid our tab to the gods and can now settle back into the mid level tier.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been hard on Key and the other GT players turned coaches for not code redding the previous guy after week 2 in 2019 when they all must have known he was clueless. Key especially going from Saban’s regimented system to whatever the last guy was doing had to be a shocker. I’m still not thrilled that he and Choice let that guy destroy our program for 3 years while they sat quietly watching it but Key does appear to be righting the wrongs. So I’m prepared to simply chalk up 4 lost years to the football gods finallly catching up with GT. After basically 30 years of good runs with Ross, O’Leary, Gailey, and Johnson we were past due for a dud. Bama had those years with Shula, UGA with Donnan and Goof, etc so we were due. Let’s hope we have paid our tab to the gods and can now settle back into the mid level tier.
He was supposed to code red his boss?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
He really treats it like a serous business. No nonsense. Expectations of both the players and coaches. And laser focused on the current game, not the previous game. No clue how this year will turn out. But I do know the demeanor is much more in line with successful coaches. And I am happy to see money down die a quick death.