Week 5 PFF Grades

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So far this season, Jeff Sims’ overall passing grade is 94th out of 95 FBS QBs who qualified for the minimum number of dropbacks.
Jeff has to play better. He is capable, I think, but does he want to put this team on his back and carry it? God knows, he gets precious little help from his line but such is the life of many, if not most quarterbacks these days. Defenders keep getting bigger, stronger, faster and seem to have this strange obsession with getting to the other team's quarterbacks. I just watched the Clemson and NC State game. NC State's quarterback is just as good, if not better than Ugalaie or however he spells his name but the difference in the two teams was the nearly constant pressure put on the NC State quarterback by Clemson's defensive line. The announcers remarked on one play that the Wolfpack quarterback completed a long pass with near astonishment that he actually had a clean pocket. It did not happen often that's for sure.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Kyle Kennard is currently the lowest graded DE in all of Power 5 (#83 out of 83). Keion White grades out at #35 (#14 in run defense).

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Sims is tied with Brennan Armstrong for fifth worst in Power 5 turnover-worthy play %. 4.9% of their snaps are considered by PFF to be turnover-worthy.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Blackstrain must have been blocking like a madman. He didn't touch the ball.
Hate to say it, but not at all. This is very much a case of “best of the worst.”

The only player on offense who graded out positively is Hall. Jenkins was above average. There’s a reason why the other guys in the top 5 barely played - anyone else who played a decent number of snaps didn’t grade out well.

This was the worst team offensive performance in three years.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Hate to say it, but not at all. This is very much a case of “best of the worst.”

The only player on offense who graded out positively is Hall. Jenkins was above average. There’s a reason why the other guys in the top 5 barely played - anyone else who played a decent number of snaps didn’t grade out well.

This was the worst team offensive performance in three years.
Yeah I see now there’s no PFF grades just the number of snaps.

slugboy

Staff member
Is this just the case of playing a very good defense? Or are these ratings adjusted for that factor?
It’s worth reading the entire explanation https://www.pff.com/grades

Trying to block or get open against Pitt probably hurt our grades. The four dropped interceptions probably killed Sims’ grade

They do adjust the raw grade vs what is “expected”, but I think that’s more “the tackle was pulling and needed to make an insanely athletic play” than “the DT they were playing against is a monster”

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Connelly had the correct summation of this game. GT had basically 5 big plays, but those plays won them the game.

I think Hall's 2 longest runs were his long run late in the 4th quarter and then the 13 yd run where he went about 3 yards and the OL pushed him another 10.

The PFF grades largely agree with what my eyes saw. Our OL was mostly poor and the offense did very few things well.
But those 3 TO's and a couple of big plays by the offense were the difference (oh, and having a FG kicker make FG).

Time to make it 2 in a row against Duke.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Top 5 and bottom 5 graded players on defense (number of snaps):

1.) Charlie Thomas (43)
2.) Derrik Allen (25)
3.) Jason Moore (25)
4.) Zeek Biggers (15)
5.) LaMiles Brooks (52)

20.) Josh Robinson (2)
21.) Sylvain Yondjouen (35)
22.) Kenny Bennett (5)
23.) Makius Scott (44)
24.) Noah Collins (19)
Didn't Sylvain actually get a sack with this score? I was hoping Scott was to be our best DT for future. hmm

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Through 5 games, Jordan Williams has the lowest overall grade of any Tech OL (other than Paul Tchio, who’s only played 41 snaps). Jordan Williams has played more offensive snaps than anyone other than Jeff Sims.
Between him and a Sims--a VERY scary fact. Not good at all.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t have the energy to post these after UCF and Ole Miss, and have been slammed with work the past few days. But some of yall have asked about the PFF grades this week. Here you go:

Top 5 and bottom 5 graded players on offense (number of snaps):

1.) Hassan Hall (61)
2.) EJ Jenkins (70)
3.) William Lay III (8)
4.) James BlackStrain (5)
5.) Jakiah Leftwich (6)

16.) Weston Franklin (67)
17.) Jordan Williams (75)
18.) Luke Benson (13)
19.) Paula Vaipulu (49)
20.) Jeff Sims (75)
Is it possible to share all the PFF grades for all the players on offense and defense?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s worth reading the entire explanation https://www.pff.com/grades

Trying to block or get open against Pitt probably hurt our grades. The four dropped interceptions probably killed Sims’ grade

They do adjust the raw grade vs what is “expected”, but I think that’s more “the tackle was pulling and needed to make an insanely athletic play” than “the DT they were playing against is a monster”
Thanks for this... adds valuable missing context for me!
I haven’t seen grades posted, just relative “ranking” based on grades.
This almost works like the old kindergarten grading scale... excellent, satisfactory, unsatisfactory, needs improvement
If they guy across from you is physically dominating you, you’re getting a lot of “needs improvement” scores. I haven’t seen actual scores (haven’t tried either ;)) but I would also expect most players on most plays are grading out a “0” (satisfactory on the kindergarten scale).
I can see where this has value across a position group but I don’t see where it has value across a team. In my mind, I’m thinking OL will grade out “0” if they are pretty much perfect as there isn’t much opportunity for positive “impact” plays as I read criteria. Although I would hope most of our guys got a +1 on Hassan’s third down run by committee.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks for this... adds valuable missing context for me!
I haven’t seen grades posted, just relative “ranking” based on grades.
This almost works like the old kindergarten grading scale... excellent, satisfactory, unsatisfactory, needs improvement
If they guy across from you is physically dominating you, you’re getting a lot of “needs improvement” scores. I haven’t seen actual scores (haven’t tried either ;)) but I would also expect most players on most plays are grading out a “0” (satisfactory on the kindergarten scale).
I can see where this has value across a position group but I don’t see where it has value across a team. In my mind, I’m thinking OL will grade out “0” if they are pretty much perfect as there isn’t much opportunity for positive “impact” plays as I read criteria. Although I would hope most of our guys got a +1 on Hassan’s third down run by committee.
I’d give a 2 for a pancake 🥞
They have to give positive grades for linemen, or you wouldn’t see linemen with high overall grades. You definitely see them for pro linemen

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’d give a 2 for a pancake 🥞
They have to give positive grades for linemen, or you wouldn’t see linemen with high overall grades. You definitely see them for pro linemen
Absolutely! But that’s a unicorn these days! Everyone is retreating in pass pro.... :D