Week 2 Depth Chart

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This O-Line with Braun/Lee/Bryan looks to me like CPJ is planning a major BB attack this weekend. A good plan with our BB talent and depth.

I would agree.

Man, I hope Cooper gets back soon and is able to go close to 100%. I think a starting 5 of Bryan, Braun, Lee, Cooper, and Marshall has the potential to be a very good Oline.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The question is this ... would you rather miss the MLB coming down to take out the dive or miss the MLB hitting the edge and taking the AB. I would rather miss by the center than the OT. Sure I would rather have +6 yards over 3-4 up the middle, but a 3 yard loss on the outside is awful.

Really good gaurds force the LB to scrap down. So I would have my best people at guards. A scrapping down LB is so much easier to hit as a OT than one flying to the outside. Also scraping down assignments force the LB to make missteps on counter options. That on step forward is a big step out of the play.

Come Clemson, we need to have the best guards as possible or the option is not an option.
THIS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 17 on the counter option where we pull the guard - the off guard needed to down block. Braun was awesome as the pulling guard. Shamire did awesome as a down blocker. Will Bryan was good on this block. When Shamire pulled we always had to cut up field, but with Will we can make play go either inside or stretch. Also Will can get down field on the line backer.

In most cases Will is the clear choice at rg, however , against Clemson we may want to mix it up with bige guard ( Will has lost weight so he can play tackle). That would mean the Lt to rt would be Bryan, Braun, Lee, cooper, Marshall.
Seems like we have plenty of talent in the o line and new guys coming along. Going to be fun!

EFN247

Georgia Tech Fan
Didn't see this posted anywhere so here you go! Changes on the O-Line with Marshall starting at right tackle and Bryan moving to right guard. Also to note, King is starting at kicker (not really a surprise after last game).

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/g...eleases-new-depth-chart-for-south-florida-usf

What is the common consensus from everyone regarding special teams??? I have followed tech for many years and cant ever seem to figure it out. It is much more than this year. With the exception of Butker & Harvin we have never had good special teams. This includes a lot more than just the kickers and punters, our coverage teams and return teams have never been any good either. Do you think it is a lack of recruiting, or lack of effort being put into special teams. To me guys just never seem to develop. How many scholarship guys get beat out by a walk on twice? I know king is starting now, but only on FG and Davis was starting prior to missed PAT. Wonder what everything else thinks, seems to be a deeper issue than just bad kicking game the last couple of years. Cuz once again our coverage or returners never seem to be elite either? Maybe CPJ just doesn't prepare enough for ST?

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
The question is this ... would you rather miss the MLB coming down to take out the dive or miss the MLB hitting the edge and taking the AB. I would rather miss by the center than the OT. Sure I would rather have +6 yards over 3-4 up the middle, but a 3 yard loss on the outside is awful.

Really good gaurds force the LB to scrap down. So I would have my best people at guards. A scrapping down LB is so much easier to hit as a OT than one flying to the outside. Also scraping down assignments force the LB to make missteps on counter options. That on step forward is a big step out of the play.

Come Clemson, we need to have the best guards as possible or the option is not an option.

LD could you explain what you mean by “scrapping down”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTdragons

The Mike LB can charge and 100% bee line to the outside and provide no support for the dive. This makes it hard for the OT to hit him and he can cover the ABack and potentially hit him before a pitch can cross the LOS.

If the Mike scrapes down. He is adding some support to stop the dive. He takes a step forward in the direction of the play and then heads outside. This slows him down and allows the OT to get a better shot at him.

Teams that have great DT that can stop the dive by beating their blocks don't need as much help from the Mike LB. Alcorn had to use the Mike to stop the dive and that really opened up the outside.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, teams such as UGA last year (Roquan), Clemson, Duke and others have started playing ILB a little deeper to make it more difficult for the OL to get them. The difficulty is multiplied if we dont have enough of an inside threat for the ILBs to hesitate and provide some support.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
@GTdragons

The Mike LB can charge and 100% bee line to the outside and provide no support for the dive. This makes it hard for the OT to hit him and he can cover the ABack and potentially hit him before a pitch can cross the LOS.

If the Mike scrapes down. He is adding some support to stop the dive. He takes a step forward in the direction of the play and then heads outside. This slows him down and allows the OT to get a better shot at him.

Teams that have great DT that can stop the dive by beating their blocks don't need as much help from the Mike LB. Alcorn had to use the Mike to stop the dive and that really opened up the outside.

Makes sense, thanks you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk