We need to pass more

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There. I said it. In the Virginia game, we did this in a couple series in the 3rd and things got rolling until we were in a position to grind clock again. Brad's dropped pass showed just how much the secondary was cheating to the run. Even if it kills a few drives with incompletions, we've got to put pressure on the eye discipline of the defense when it isn't an obvious passing situation.

It seems when CPJ is having a hard time getting the option rolling, he makes blocking, splits, or timing adjustments to try to get it on track. When the defense is cheating and stacking the box, we have to try to take advantage of it even if it's risky.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
FYI, in the first half against UVA, we passed on about 25% of our plays. We only had something like 16 total plays in the first half and passed on four of them (going 1 of 4).

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we need to pass any more or any less.

Its all about making the D pay for over committing to what they expect us to do. Load the box, we chuck it downfield. Play man, we run it down your throat. Either way, we move decisively towards the end zone - don't really care how.

I think, however, against UGa specifically, we are much better off not throwing as much if we can put death marches together. The fewer possessions UGa has, the better. That will turn up the heat on their somewhat reckless quarterback who does not function well under pressure. If there was ever a game where we need a big lead followed by an extremely aggressive pass rush, its this one.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I kinda agree. I would say we need to pass earlier in the game. more so than more. If we are getting stuffed on all aspects of the run offense, let's start throwing the ball and give 'em something to think about. Not to mention that if they are covering all aspects of our running game it probably means there are passing yards to be had.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There's a philosophy that the pass sets up the run. More running plays occur in the red zone, so passing more between the 40's creates more offense.

Yes, we should pass more.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It all depends on how the game is going, if they are stuffing the run, burn them with a couple passes so you can run easier and take what they give you. But if you are running at will, then keep running, no reason to pass but the occasional time to keep them honest imo.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the correct reply is : We can pass more. Thomas is pretty accurate, the OL is pass blocking well, the receivers are capable, and the D doesn't expect it.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
FYI, in the first half against UVA, we passed on about 25% of our plays. We only had something like 16 total plays in the first half and passed on four of them (going 1 of 4).

I should go back and re-watch, but the percentage itself is not the whole story. If 25% of your plays are 3rd and long, this is totally different.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I should go back and re-watch, but the percentage itself is not the whole story. If 25% of your plays are 3rd and long, this is totally different.

Here are downs we passed on vs Virginia:
3rd and 7 (incomplete)
2nd and 11 (complete for 9)
2nd and 14 (incomplete)
3rd and 14 (incomplete)
1st and 10 (complete for 19)
1st and 10 (incomplete)
1st and 10 (complete for 22)
1st and 10 (incomplete)
2 and 11 (complete for 54yd TD)

We passed on 1st down 4 times. Two went on to result in big plays and two went on to result in no first down on that particular drive.

FWIW, I generally like the amount we pass now. Some of our best games in the Paul Johnson era have been games where we passed less than 10 times.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There. I said it. In the Virginia game, we did this in a couple series in the 3rd and things got rolling until we were in a position to grind clock again. Brad's dropped pass showed just how much the secondary was cheating to the run. Even if it kills a few drives with incompletions, we've got to put pressure on the eye discipline of the defense when it isn't an obvious passing situation.

It seems when CPJ is having a hard time getting the option rolling, he makes blocking, splits, or timing adjustments to try to get it on track. When the defense is cheating and stacking the box, we have to try to take advantage of it even if it's risky.
uva at times was DARING us to pass,safeties at 5-7 yds--could have run an Aback up seam like Lynch did

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we please stop with these pointless threads? Why are people so obsessed with fixing the thing that is hardly the problem. The title of the thread should be, we should give opposing receivers less cushion... Smdh
If we stop with pointless threads, this forum would be ded.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Love our ability to pass effectively this season.

However, remember 2012(or 13?) when we came out slinging and went up 20-0 on Ugag. The D gave up some big plays to allow Ugag back in it, but we also lacked the ability to settle into some long death marches in the second half to keep the lead.

That being said, we are a better team this year, and I could see doing the same thing Saturday, but then grinding out the second half for 20+ TOP.