We Can't Have Nice Things

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It's likely a position coach move to a rival or a DC job at the G5 level. That being said, I think Mike Pelton was also offered by Oklahoma (or some other big school) to be their DL coach a couple years ago. He ended up staying with us. We might have to match the pay of any rival school that offers him.

Deleted member 2897

Can't read the tweet. (filter at work) Who is the coach in question?

CAM...you know the guy that helps get like half our commits...

To be clear, the article does not say that he is leaving or that we're in a bidding war or anything like that. I hope he is happy here and we pay him well though!

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I am absolutely ok with Mac taking a DC position as it is a promotion for him (even at the G5 level and for less money). I can't fault him or anyone for that. If he takes a position coach job at a rival then he's a snake in my eyes and I wish nothing but the worst for him. So hopefully he stays or gets a promotion to DC at a decent G5 school.

Milwaukee

Banned
I am absolutely ok with Mac taking a DC position as it is a promotion for him (even at the G5 level and for less money). I can't fault him or anyone for that. If he takes a position coach job at a rival then he's a snake in my eyes and I wish nothing but the worst for him. So hopefully he stays or gets a promotion to DC at a decent G5 school.

Position coach at Clemson or UGA is a big promotion from the same job here. Lets be honest with ourselves.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe a raise, but it's not like he would have any more responsibility there than here. Maybe even less depending on how involved Kirby or the DC is with his position group. Going to a rival for more money is a chicken**** move.

Milwaukee

Banned
If you do it now it's probably too late . Coaches you want to keep you need to do it before they start talking to someone.

We'll never be able to pay assistants top dollar though. The poachers will poach regardless, their pockets are deeper. There needs to be a salary cap for the only people that are legally getting paid under the NCAA umbrella, which are the coaching staffs. It's an easy fix and would help even the playing field...but I'm 2 cocktails deep and it's only 3:30pm cst so wth do I know amirite.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Everyone should also keep in mind here that this (talking up other offers) is a very common negotiating tactic among agents trying to secure raises for their clients. I’m not saying that’s what it is, but it would not be surprising if it was.