We are flawed ..... is everyone else?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
So, following GT baseball so closely, it is easy for me (all of us, presumably) to see our flaws. Even though I know we are enormously talented and resilient this year, it's too easy for me, knowing those flaws, to easily translate in my mind and think "we cannot make a deep tournament run because (for example) great teams don't lose when they have a 4 run lead". I think I am just to close to bring this teams chances into accurate focus.

So for those of you in the know, are the other top contenders "equally flawed"? Among the most talented teams, is it "whoever gets hot" that will win it?

Without a shred of supporting evidence, I will say yes, every one has warts ........... except for UCLA. I don't know exactly why I think this other than they just had a certain "air" about them when the were at Russ Chandler. I addition, they have only lost 7 games and only one of those to a "sub par" (USC) team.

What do you guys say ...... am I just jaded from years and years of being a Tech supporter?

Ramblin'Man

Banned
With the loss of Hurter, I have finally realized that it's true......GT just isn't allowed to have nice things. ( Won't see him next season either) We had a legit chance to make it Omaha and do some damage with him as our #3 starter. Our odds of winning that third game now going forward just dropped from like 75%+ to 25% or less with the options we have to take his place, this is a HUGE Blow.

Now I think we will have a hard time advancing out of our regional. What a shame, finally looked like everything was coming together. "Lucy" the injury bug calls us GT fans Block heads once again and yanks the ball away from us just as we are about to kick it......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll be ok in the postseason. I know losing Hurter is a big deal, but Roedig has pitched extremely well lately and really shut down a good offensive team in Clemson. I think the bullpen has been somewhat stabilized (still shaky though) now that English has been made closer full time. I think we have enough depth with Bartnicki, Hughes, Willingham, Carpenter, and Chapman to at least advance us past the Regionals. The two pitchers that I really wish we had at this point are Mannelly and Archer. They both would have been huge to a more successful bullpen.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson pretty much roughed everyone up. They swung the bats well all weekend. Roedig was fortunate on a few loud outs that were caught. I have stated before that I had confidence in someone to step up in a starter role if needed, and I still do. I don’t really look for many low scoring games the rest of the way. Bats have heated with the weather, just minimize the big inning.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, following GT baseball so closely, it is easy for me (all of us, presumably) to see our flaws. Even though I know we are enormously talented and resilient this year, it's too easy for me, knowing those flaws, to easily translate in my mind and think "we cannot make a deep tournament run because (for example) great teams don't lose when they have a 4 run lead". I think I am just to close to bring this teams chances into accurate focus.

So for those of you in the know, are the other top contenders "equally flawed"? Among the most talented teams, is it "whoever gets hot" that will win it?

Without a shred of supporting evidence, I will say yes, every one has warts ........... except for UCLA. I don't know exactly why I think this other than they just had a certain "air" about them when the were at Russ Chandler. I addition, they have only lost 7 games and only one of those to a "sub par" (USC) team.

What do you guys say ...... am I just jaded from years and years of being a Tech supporter?
You aren't crazy. I feel exactly the same way. Sometimes (say after the Clemson loss)... I have to literally force myself to see the big picture. 7 ACC series wins and leading a division in the ACC... top 10 RPI. Multiple publications/prognosticators talking about us being a national seed.

Ga Tech is an excellent baseball team this year. We have above average starting pitching... OUTSTANDING offense... 7ish (of 9 on a given day) solid defensive players... at least 1 really good baseball coach 'coaching' these guys. There are around 300 D1 baseball teams. ...the fans for somewhere around 275 of them would laugh us out of a room if we complained ONCE about our team.

Here is my macro-view of where we are and what is a reasonable expectation at this point. We will finish very high in the ACC. Our achilles heel will more than likely be the bullpen. Having said that, there have been times each pitcher has had solid, productive outings. The offense has proven it can generate runs against even the very best pitchers in the country. You only have to win 3-4 (out of 4 or 5) games per weekend the rest of the way to 'advance'.

This team should be able to win a regional... particularly as a #1 seed at Russ Chandler. After that (super regional), I think you get into who's hot or goofy bounces or even maybe a matchup (good or bad) that "can" be the difference. It helps if you have a great team... I do believe our offense can makeup for a few bad innings of pitching.

I'll leave this here... in 2015 UVA won the National championship. They finished the regular season 15-15 in the conference. Had to win a playin game (v Ga Tech) to make Pool Play of the ACC Tournament that year. They went 0-3 in pool play... and the one game that was sort of close... UVA's bullpen gave up 7 runs late to lose. From there.... they got hot... average players became good and it all fell into place and they just kept winning until they were dog-piling in Omaha.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I hope we can get some guys who don't usually pitch some innings this weekend. I would like to see Hall use Barlow, Shirah, Brace, and Winborne. Mainly Barlow because I think that he can really help the staff out.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We've won series the last few weeks with less than optimal innings pitched by Hurter. So just need to keep doing the same moving forward. A healthy Hurter vastly improves our team, but I think we've shown that we can win even when Hurter has been limited.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, has it been confirmed that Hurter is out?

In any event, as I just said elsewhere, we took the UNC series without X or Hurter starting.

Finally, we have a massive amount of talent. When I get around to finishing it, I'll post all our roster and the 8 or so players I expect to see drafted this June. We will have near the top amount of players drafted of any team. If you want to worry, worry about next year. Till then, enjoy the ride. This high of GT rpi team doesn't happen often.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
OK, has it been confirmed that Hurter is out?

In any event, as I just said elsewhere, we took the UNC series without X or Hurter starting.

Finally, we have a massive amount of talent. When I get around to finishing it, I'll post all our roster and the 8 or so players I expect to see drafted this June. We will have near the top amount of players drafted of any team. If you want to worry, worry about next year. Till then, enjoy the ride. This high of GT rpi team doesn't happen often.
I was a totally considering starting a thread about why we should have high expectations again next year haha. I decided that I'm going to wait until after the draft and see if the four incoming freshmen that I'm extremely high on can make it on campus. I also want to see if Hughes, Willingham, and Murray return.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I just read this...
The Pitching
  • Starting pitcher Brant Hurter had to leave after just one inning. He gave up an unearned run and struck out one in his outing. Hurter continues to have issues with his forearm.
  • Freshman Cort Roedig settled the game with five good innings of relief. He allowed three runs, but two of those game on a fluke play. With the bases loaded and two outs, Clemson’s Jordan Greene hit a towering popup that should have been the third out. But Jackson Webb lost the ball in the sun and Luke Waddell couldn’t quite get there in time to make a heroic catch. It bounced halfway between home and third base and two Clemson runners scored.
  • The rest of the bullpen didn’t fare as well: five pitchers combined to give up seven runs on seven hits.
BaseballNotebookBaseball.png
Between the Lines Keyton Gibson was ejected for hitting a Clemson player after the umpire issued a warning to both teams following an incident in the fifth when the Tigers hit Kyle McCann and Tristin English back-to-back. Coach Danny Hall was then ejected for arguing with home plate umpire Derek Mollica. Clemson reliever Holt Jones got heaved in the ninth when he hit Luke Waddell with a pitch, which led to the ejection of Clemson coach Monte Lee. Hall faces a possible one-game suspension and Gibson may face a four-game suspension. …

Does that mean no more Hurter this season and probably next season( I think so), and Gibson suspended? Tough blow for the end of season stretch.

I just read this...
The Pitching
  • Starting pitcher Brant Hurter had to leave after just one inning. He gave up an unearned run and struck out one in his outing. Hurter continues to have issues with his forearm.
  • Freshman Cort Roedig settled the game with five good innings of relief. He allowed three runs, but two of those game on a fluke play. With the bases loaded and two outs, Clemson’s Jordan Greene hit a towering popup that should have been the third out. But Jackson Webb lost the ball in the sun and Luke Waddell couldn’t quite get there in time to make a heroic catch. It bounced halfway between home and third base and two Clemson runners scored.
  • The rest of the bullpen didn’t fare as well: five pitchers combined to give up seven runs on seven hits.
BaseballNotebookBaseball.png
Between the Lines Keyton Gibson was ejected for hitting a Clemson player after the umpire issued a warning to both teams following an incident in the fifth when the Tigers hit Kyle McCann and Tristin English back-to-back. Coach Danny Hall was then ejected for arguing with home plate umpire Derek Mollica. Clemson reliever Holt Jones got heaved in the ninth when he hit Luke Waddell with a pitch, which led to the ejection of Clemson coach Monte Lee. Hall faces a possible one-game suspension and Gibson may face a four-game suspension. …

Does that mean no more Hurter this season and probably next season( I think so), and Gibson suspended? Tough blow for the end of season stretch.

Not really sure how you’re connecting the dots on Hurter.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not really sure how you’re connecting the dots on Hurter.

Just connecting the dots by observation and what another member on this forum said about talking with a baseball player's family disclosing that Hurter is possibly out for this season. And knowing full well through observation that when a pitcher is hurt then usually TJ surgery is next. Mannlley and Archer are the most recent GT pitchers that come to mind.
Or a woman's intuition.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just connecting the dots by observation and what another member on this forum said about talking with a baseball player's family disclosing that Hurter is possibly out for this season. And knowing full well through observation that when a pitcher is hurt then usually TJ surgery is next. Mannlley and Archer are the most recent GT pitchers that come to mind.
Or a woman's intuition.

@RoosterJacket didn't say where/how he heard that Hurter wouldn't be back. Unless I missed something.

I don't know, but Hurter did pitch a complete inning and Roedig was warming up in the first. So it could have been the plan to only go an inning.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
@RoosterJacket didn't say where/how he heard that Hurter wouldn't be back. Unless I missed something.

I don't know, but Hurter did pitch a complete inning and Roedig was warming up in the first. So it could have been the plan to only go an inning.
IIRC, CDH said in the postgame that Hurter “didn’t have the velocity that he typically has & they didn’t want to take a chance with him” (my paraphrase based on my recollection). You can go to RR.com and the audio is at the end of the recap for an exact quote.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
May be wrong, but somehow I believe @RoosterJacket ....plus, it fits for GT baseball to lose a top starter this time of the year....we were due for a huge injury.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
May be wrong, but somehow I believe @RoosterJacket ....plus, it fits for GT baseball to lose a top starter this time of the year....we were due for a huge injury.
I'm assuming Hurter is indeed done & Curry will be ready for Duke series (worst case). That's with no inside info... just based on @RoosterJacket 's info.

But I would say Tech has powered through a lot of injuries: Murray, Archer, Mannelly, Curry, English.