We Are All

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
concerned about the defense and rightfully so, however, I am growing concerned about the habit the offense has gotten into regarding failure to finish drives. We have been getting the minimum out of many drive situations, in terms of points, and compounding our problems by handing balls to the defense. One of Mills' fumble was knocked loose, but besides that, it seems the fumbles have been execution errors. We look like a great offensive team as we are moving up and down the field. It is just too bad the field isn't 80 yards long.

This nearly cost us the DOOK game and did cost us UNC. 48-20 is very one-sided score, but we truly had a game if we cashed in. If if if if...

BTW, did anybody see the DOOK VT score or game. I maintain DOOK was a quality win for us despite their record.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the goal line package needs to be put on ice for the time being. With our BB I think it is best not disrupt the continuity. That is a compliment to Mills and not a dig at Jordan.

Part of the problem (IMO) is our inability to get the other teams off the field. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense, and they start making mental mistakes. If the guys could just go execute and trust the D to get a stop, I think our red zone efficiency would be better.

I think all the Coastal teams are really close, which makes getting better each week more important.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday aside, I thought our redzone conversion rate this year has been really good. Is that not true?

Matt E

GT Athlete
I don't disagree regarding the concern of us not finishing drives. However, I think a major issue is our guys getting tight and pressing on offense. There is way to much pressure on the players, coaches, etc on O due to how bad we are on defense. I don't think it's going to get any better this week against VT

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree regarding the concern of us not finishing drives. However, I think a major issue is our guys getting tight and pressing on offense. There is way to much pressure on the players, coaches, etc on O due to how bad we are on defense. I don't think it's going to get any better this week against VT
This...all of it

Every mistake our offense or special teams make is magnified by ten fold by our total incompetence on defense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
watching Tech play is predictable. we give up early points and start chasing. When we scored with aprox. 4 minutes left to make it 20-17, I bet 90+% of us would have been willing to bet that UNC would score again. My son and I both called that UNC TD but even we did not comprehend how easy it would be for them. The matchup between their O and our D looked more like what you see in HS FB between the region champion and a winless team in its second year of varsity FB. Fortunately they did score quickly to give us another chance.

Watching Tech under CPJ is like looking at the inverse function of Tech under CCG. Our x's and y's have been reversed or I should say D's and O's. I literally do not know how a coach can keep a team together when it is so dysfunctional or unbalanced between units. IIRC, I believe there were rumours of team chemistry issues when Tenuta was the DC. Somehow Tech seems to continue to play hard (if ineffectively) under Paul and his staff.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
watching Tech play is predictable. we give up early points and start chasing. When we scored with aprox. 4 minutes left to make it 20-17, I bet 90+% of us would have been willing to bet that UNC would score again. My son and I both called that UNC TD but even we did not comprehend how easy it would be for them. The matchup between their O and our D looked more like what you see in HS FB between the region champion and a winless team in its second year of varsity FB. Fortunately they did score quickly to give us another chance.

Watching Tech under CPJ is like looking at the inverse function of Tech under CCG. Our x's and y's have been reversed or I should say D's and O's. I literally do not know how a coach can keep a team together when it is so dysfunctional or unbalanced between units. IIRC, I believe there were rumours of team chemistry issues when Tenuta was the DC. Somehow Tech seems to continue to play hard (if ineffectively) under Paul and his staff.
Lol when we scored to make it 20-17 my only thought was I hope UNC scores really quick so we can score again to make it a one score game. Then we missed a FG.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lol when we scored to make it 20-17 my only thought was I hope UNC scores really quick so we can score again to make it a one score game. Then we missed a FG.

a few years back I walked the Appalachian trail from Georgia up to Maine, just under 2200 miles. In a log book in one of the little shelters along the way someone wrote a little note that simply said "Embrace the pain". Most of the sane people who start the trail will simply give up somewhere along the way because of the various difficulties..That little note stuck with me in the 6 years since I read it.

It is a great slogan for us GT fans....."Embrace the pain". I think most sane people have or will quit or give up. Not us crazies...we embrace pain.;) Come to think of it, that's what we did back in the "1 out of 3" days at the NATS. Perhaps my wife is correct, I may need therapy of some sort.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
"Embrace the pain".

Definitely words to live by if you are a Tech fan. I'm into 37 years of this and year in year out, it doesn't change much. The early 90s were fun, but we can't sustain it.

The frustrating part is we have a great tradition, alumni who will donate, and smart people.

But we just accept mediocrity. MBob? Please. Did he even know where BDS was?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Definitely words to live by if you are a Tech fan. I'm into 37 years of this and year in year out, it doesn't change much. The early 90s were fun, but we can't sustain it.

The frustrating part is we have a great tradition, alumni who will donate, and smart people.

But we just accept mediocrity. MBob? Please. Did he even know where BDS was?
Right now I would be glad to accept mediocrity on defense, as we are below that on defense.
( this was sarcasm, the sad part sarcasm can be the truth:))

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
concerned about the defense and rightfully so, however, I am growing concerned about the habit the offense has gotten into regarding failure to finish drives. We have been getting the minimum out of many drive situations, in terms of points, and compounding our problems by handing balls to the defense. One of Mills' fumble was knocked loose, but besides that, it seems the fumbles have been execution errors. We look like a great offensive team as we are moving up and down the field. It is just too bad the field isn't 80 yards long.

This nearly cost us the DOOK game and did cost us UNC. 48-20 is very one-sided score, but we truly had a game if we cashed in. If if if if...

BTW, did anybody see the DOOK VT score or game. I maintain DOOK was a quality win for us despite their record.
I say it's mental toughness/confidence...or lack thereof.

Duke may have been a quality win but think about this...we're now considering beating Duke as a quality win.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Call me Old School, or just old, but I loved watching the Bama LSU game last nite.

Play great Defense, keep it close, and win it at the end.

I was thinking something along those lines yesterday...I miss the 20 - 17 games, 17-10 scores of years past. Back when field position was such a critical part of the game. Remember seeing something called "punters" and how much they could affect the game? When points are precious, every possession carried so much more weight so there was a sense of urgency early on in the game. Now it's like the NBA, play to get to the last 2 minute and whoever has the ball last wins. excuse me,gotta run, those noisy neighbor kids are on my lawn again!

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm of the mindset that we should win at everything. We're internationally known for our sciences, however the state has diluted the market as engineering programs are now at Mercer and uga. I think at this point we should play for all the marbles, not just the few that we've historically done. Expand our majors, but be elite in those as well. Keep high admission standards across the board. We're either going to grow or slowly die. As silly as football is in the "big picture " it's the lens through which we're viewed by average folks . I don't like it, don't agree with it but that's the game - we either adapt or die.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We're internationally known for our sciences, however the state has diluted the market as engineering programs are now at Mercer and uga.

I'm not worried about either of these programs. They're junk and will always be junk. But honestly, I don't even know why the State of Georgia bothered when we have an entire school dedicated to engineering. Tech should have or could have just expanded and put up satellite campuses in say, Savannah and Columbus.

Ironically, I'm from Alabama. The State of Alabama always regarded the way Georgia did it (create one GOOD engineering school) to be the way to go. Sadly, the State of Georgia is following Alabama's example. Not good.

Tech's reputation internationally is superb.

We do need more current majors. I'd love to have a program in Sports Technology ... STEM is broadening and it takes a visionary to find the majors of the future that will have an impact.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Call me Old School, or just old, but I loved watching the Bama LSU game last nite.

Play great Defense, keep it close, and win it at the end.
It's hard to have those games these days because you get a penalty called on everything. The refs actually let them play last night and didn't call a penalty on tons of things I usually see a penalty called on. Ironically Alabama's first score was due to a no call on the most obvious hold I've ever seen right in front of the head ump. That play would've gone nowhere had it not been for that hold.