#WCUvsGT Postgame Discussion

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Look we have seen these games terribly for us in the past. I think we have more positives to take from this than negatives. It keeps the guys on the field hungry and plenty to improve on.

Looking at positives:
- We won by multiple touchdowns
- One false start
- No blocked punts
- WCU didn’t score in the second half
- D. Smith is a stud

Negatives:
- It was close for too long
- Sims inconsistent

Two points. We didn't have any false starts. WCU scored a FG in the second half,

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Look we have seen these games terribly for us in the past. I think we have more positives to take from this than negatives. It keeps the guys on the field hungry and plenty to improve on.

Looking at positives:
- We won by multiple touchdowns
- One false start
- No blocked punts
- WCU didn’t score in the second half
- D. Smith is a stud

Negatives:
- It was close for too long
- Sims inconsistent
Sims play seemed more than inconsistent, it was relatively poor. Maybe he just wasn't focused, but he was off target a lot, sub 50% completion percentage, threw a pick, and even running the ball he didn't seem to be giving it his all, more like he was playing backyard football. There was one 3rd down play in particular where he successfully juked 3 defenders, and then instead of trying to turn the corner and get the first down he had room to get, he just stepped out of bounds well short of the line to gain and we had to punt.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Post game presser, Collins at least admits he wasn't happy about the first drives and leaving points on the board

We won. I'm glad. Enjoyed watching the whole game but not until ACCNX got fixed at 14-7.

Fashion notes: Does anyone else wear their undershirt showing at work? Notice the Waffle House cup is gone and it's a Coke bottle. Serious stuff here.

Back to substance, I think it's best to take it game by game. I can't project many more wins from this team unless they progress a lot more than they have in the first two games. Looking at ESPN projections, we are favored in two more games this season, Duke @ 63% and UVa @ 54%. That's why I watched all the game last night, simply to enjoy a win.

Edit: Many on this board seem to live this philosophy of happiness:
1662898908442.png

Last edited:

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims play seemed more than inconsistent, it was relatively poor. Maybe he just wasn't focused, but he was off target a lot, sub 50% completion percentage, threw a pick, and even running the ball he didn't seem to be giving it his all, more like he was playing backyard football. There was one 3rd down play in particular where he successfully juked 3 defenders, and then instead of trying to turn the corner and get the first down he had room to get, he just stepped out of bounds well short of the line to gain and we had to punt.
It drove me crazy when he stepped out of bounds on that play. He has often shown a lack of awareness of the sticks. And he’s lucky he didn’t have another pick on that play where it looked like he was playing catch with the DB. His generally unfocused play reminded me of how he came out in the NIU game. Maybe he lacks focus when he’s playing lower level competition.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It drove me crazy when he stepped out of bounds on that play. He has often shown a lack of awareness of the sticks. And he’s lucky he didn’t have another pick on that play where it looked like he was playing catch with the DB. His generally unfocused play reminded me of how he came out in the NIU game. Maybe he lacks focus when he’s playing lower level competition.
One thing collins did say is that they wanted to establish the run game and that was the main focus this week, only wanted to throw when needed. Hopefully all this was , was a case of short week couldn't practice everything.
Either way, that int though was classic sims.

slugboy

Staff member
Whom am I missing that is a true football player on this squad?
Kyle Kennard and Keion White are both gamers, and reasons our front 6 looks much better than this year. Tatum isn't Thomas, but played well subbing for him.

Advanced Box Score

Dominated field position.

Poor night passing, but great night rushing.

Mccollum continues to be a monster. Dontae had a great game as well.
We got havoc from the front 6. WCU was more efficient throwing the ball than we were (passing game needs work).

Here's the GameOnPaper version: https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401411104
It looks like our game against Clemson, but with us as Clemson. The offensive EPA chart looks weird because we didn't have too many offensive plays, and we didn't get much done in the 4th quarter. From a scheme point of view, I seeing us use option plays, and liked some of our run scheme. Our long-range passing was not a threat, and we didn't do much with the passing game. Our yards/drop back of 5.95 won't make many secondaries sweat.

game-wp-401411104.jpg.png

game-ep-401411104.jpg.png

Here's our passing game--mid-range passing was nice, there just wasn't enough of it. Benson and the TEs only had one catch:
D28D569E-20F5-4C32-A9C9-85A8B4168846.jpeg

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He's been lucky with the picks so far - only one in each game but a few more that could have been intercepted.
Still staring down receivers, too. I'm at the point where I wish he would just tuck it in and run more. He'd a much better runner than thrower.

kalld12

Banned
No way anyone came away from this game without a realization that a division 2 school was extremely competive against us and beat us in several statistical categories. If it were a 2nd tier SEC/Big 12 school, like Houston or Mizzou or other, maybe that would be fine, but it is not.
Didn’t ND just lose to Marshall? How many other big name schools with a lot more talent then us went down week 1 and week 2? It’s early……RELAX

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, it is because the ten TFL were not counted at BDS?
I watch the stats on the board as the game goes along, more on nights like last night when getting a signal inside the stadium was terrible. Yds would go down on negative plays. I think the issue may have been penalites. They were penalized 10 yds for example & gained 10 back. It's as if the stat sheet recorded zero yds. Yeah the net is zero, but that's not how it works.

kalld12

Banned
Great. I thought we played bad against an inferior team. I guess we would super dominate FCS. 😂

In all seriousness, I called FCS division 2 b/c I could not remember the abbreviation. My faux pas. They do get 63 schollies in FCS.
You ate crow, just admit it!

slugboy

Staff member
ACC Network condensed game (looks like there were technical difficulties with the camera crew. WCU’s first drive is missing). There are things to be addressed here, but one of the biggest ones is the slow start. Giving a team easy points at the beginning breathes life into their team.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
lots of little girls came around last week, saying just win or else. now, those same little girls are back saying the win wasn't elegant enough.

the men here realize that a win is a win, but there are certainly things to work on.
spent all week telling us we needed to be ready and we were gonna lose this game and we win and it’s not good enough.

gonna be a long season dealing with the peanut gallery

GT33

Helluva Engineer
lots of little girls came around last week, saying just win or else. now, those same little girls are back saying the win wasn't elegant enough.

the men here realize that a win is a win, but there are certainly things to work on.
I'm not sure how anyone would have characterized last night's game as anything other than win or else. Thankfully we got the win and we had issues, but after the 1st quarter the outcome of the game was not really in danger. The talent and coaching disparity, much like the Clemson game was fairly apparent.