#WCUvsGT Postgame Discussion

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
No way anyone came away from this game without a realization that a division 2 school was extremely competive against us and beat us in several statistical categories. If it were a 2nd tier SEC/Big 12 school, like Houston or Mizzou or other, maybe that would be fine, but it is not.
How many post in a row do you need to make the same point?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They had a bad snap and a bobbled snap at key moments too.
Boy that bad snap was on a makeable third down too. I think that is when it all began to go south a little bit for them. A team like WCU or any G-5 team has to play really clean against a power 5 opponent to have any shot at an upset. Sure, they had some cute formations and moved the ball for 40 minutes to our 19 but its like in the movie "The Dirty Dozen" when Donald Sutherland plays the private who pretends to be a general inspecting troops: "Very pretty but can they fight?"

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to put me on ignore anytime you like. You must have attended Model.
Didn’t go to Model, but it seems like you went to a school that taught you how to let another grown man consume 95% of your brain function. Imagine how much slower your already slow saturday night would be without you constantly berating someone who doesn’t know/care you exist.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t go to Model, but it seems like you went to a school that taught you how to let another grown man consume 95% of your brain function. Imagine how much slower your already slow saturday night would be without you constantly berating someone who doesn’t know/care you exist.
Who did I berate? I hope you are referring to our HC. If so, good for me.

I went to Tech, so I guess you are referring to GT. 😂

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Popcorn GIF by WWE

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t think people are giving Nate enough love - that reverse he ran for his rushing TD was the kind of thing that makes you think the game has been hacked when someone does it to you on an Xbox. The body control to leap and tiptoe the sideline is nuts.

Also I think the 1st half has a different complexion if CT3 had been playing and then we see a score more close to 51-10 good guys.

I don’t love that he is that important to us on D but he is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We also need to get Dylan Leonard and Leo Blackburn healthy before I’m ready to pass judgement on the O. Same as missing CT3 the first half and the effect in D.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don’t think people are giving Nate enough love - that reverse he ran for his rushing TD was the kind of thing that makes you think the game has been hacked when someone does it to you on an Xbox. The body control to leap and tiptoe the sideline is nuts.

Also I think the 1st half has a different complexion if CT3 had been playing and then we see a score more close to 51-10 good guys.

I don’t love that he is that important to us on D but he is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We also need to get Dylan Leonard and Leo Blackburn healthy before I’m ready to pass judgement on the O. Same as missing CT3 the first half and the effect in D.
we need some field stretchers and guys who can get separation. feels like opposing offenses throw to wide open men and all of our passes are 50/50s

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
All that is true. They controlled the ball with the quick passes and managed to get 390 plus yards against a power 5 school which is impressive but the 4 turnovers and 10 TFL will get you beat no matter how much you move the ball between the twenties. We appear to have had most of our starters in the game in the fourth quarter which is not a good omen for the future. Ole Miss and UCF will largely determine the trajectory of this season.
Oddly enough, I couldn’t watch the game live, but it looked like the only worrying thing would be not getting the passing game on track. They gave us their best hit but unlike Southern Illinois and Citadel, we stopped trying to go downfield and ran all over them, like we should. Watching the condensed game, we did a much better job from second quarter on, but you can’t let a team convert that many 3rd downs.
In game being down by 7 in the first half worries you, but we went on the outscore them 28-3. I saw a bunch of reserves in playing in the 4th.

Things I thought about:
Charlie Thomas is a man. Ace Eley is a man. There’s something to be said for losing guys like Ivey and Domineck. Always hate to have a guy and miss out on his best football.

McCollum is our guy, just like McGowan last year. We need another dynamic guy getting snaps, Jenkins and Carter are your solid possession guys but we need a Blackstrain/king/DJ to step into another playmaker spot. I think we want Norris to be that guy but he may be a liability in the run game.