WCU game

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to make sense of the mindset. I am reading from certain posts that our defense looked fairly impressive against Clemson. Yet, the same posters are concerned about our defense stopping Western Carolina?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
80% chance of rain, wet week of weather leading to a soaked field. temp in the mid 70's.

This will be a good chance for our o-line to practice chemistry in the run blocking game. Didn't really get a chance to last week with Clemson blowing up our blocking scheme all game. It will be a surprisingly low scoring game with several turnovers. We win by a couple of scores but it won't be a pretty game because of the short week/weather.

I just hope we keep the game clean. No false starts would be great. Get 200ish yards rushing and control the game from beginning to end. Allow our 2nd string, particularly on defense, to get reps so we can build experienced depth. Keep o-line starters out on the field all game because we need reps together in that position group. I don't think injury is as big a concern for that group because the gap between our starters and back ups is smaller. (for the people wanting to make a remark that we don't have starters and back ups because of the AtL chart, just stop. While it is not publicly stated, we are definitely functioning as if we have clear-cut starters on both sides of the ball with subs only happening because of fatigue/scheme match-ups).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to make sense of the mindset. I am reading from certain posts that our defense looked fairly impressive against Clemson. Yet, the same posters are concerned about our defense stopping Western Carolina?
The Clemson game plan was very conservative = no deep passes.

This team will air it out.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before on this site. While the Clemson game was good to see improvement, this game would be the one that really shows us how this year is going to go. If we come out flat and lay a goose-egg, it will be another terrible year. If we come out with energy and with something to prove and curb-stomp WCU, we have turned the corner and can truly show marked improvement on the field.
A loss would be a definite bad indicator. A win against a team that you are supposed to beat by 20+ really doesn't say much at all.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
NIU ran the ball right down our throats. To me that's opposite of a fluke.

NIU beat us on a was it a completion or was it a incompletion pass into the endzone. Despite running the ball all over us that was a fluke. Citadel we out talented tremendously and yet somehow they were even in the game to begin with. Then Collins called a time out taking our own touchdown off the board. only to then **** the bed in OT.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson game plan was very conservative = no deep passes.

This team will air it out.
Yes. I understand that. What I am trying to figure out is the vast difference in talent from Western Carolina and Clemson and how that translates into confidence in our defense.

If we are confident that our defense is fairly solid vs a premier top 5 team then why are we concerned over the ability to not only win but possibly dominant vs a low end d1 school?

I don't think the answer is necessarily game plan. I understand what you are saying. I am not sure if you see what I am trying to imply. Does that make sense? Not being sarcastic.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
We’re not going to lose to WCU, in fact, we’ll probably cover the spread pretty easily. They’re a middle of the pack SoCon team with a good kicker, one good OT (Tyler Smith) and one receiver who could play on this level (Raphael Williams). That’s about it.

This game should be a gimme. Spot Collins a win vs Duke, and he just has to go 4-5 against Ole Miss, UCF, Pitt UVA, FSU, VT, Miami, UNC, and UGA to be bowl eligible. 6 wins are probably enough to save him, just reality. Of course, if he wins more than 6, which is very possible, he’s more than safe.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I understand that. What I am trying to figure out is the vast difference in talent from Western Carolina and Clemson and how that translates into confidence in our defense.

If we are confident that our defense is fairly solid vs a premier top 5 team then why are we concerned over the ability to not only win but possibly dominant vs a low end d1 school?

I don't think the answer is necessarily game plan. I understand what you are saying. I am not sure if you see what I am trying to imply. Does that make sense? Not being sarcastic.
I can answer. First, Clemson is not a top 5 team. Just because the Preseason rankings by random groups of people put them their doesn’t mean they are. They aren’t. Secondly, they have little faith in their QB so they called plays to protect him, not beat GT. They knew they were going to win running a basic offense which they did. This next team plays anything but conservatively. Their coach is in the Mike Leach mold and his teams play to spit in your eye. I watched him coach at Valdosta State and he ain’t scared. His team may not be highly talented but they’ll play with confidence and their QB is waaaaaaaay better than Clemson’s current starter. They are going to chunk it around rain or sun. The wet field could be an advantage for them with DB’s slipping. To me the key is our pass rush. We gotta make them pay for running longer routes. I have no faith in our current head coach to actually game plan so I’m expecting us to have to outscore them. Hopefully our offense just overwhelms their defense.

JacketFan137

Banned
I can answer. First, Clemson is not a top 5 team. Just because the Preseason rankings by random groups of people put them their doesn’t mean they are. They aren’t. Secondly, they have little faith in their QB so they called plays to protect him, not beat GT. They knew they were going to win running a basic offense which they did. This next team plays anything but conservatively. Their coach is in the Mike Leach mold and his teams play to spit in your eye. I watched him coach at Valdosta State and he ain’t scared. His team may not be highly talented but they’ll play with confidence and their QB is waaaaaaaay better than Clemson’s current starter. They are going to chunk it around rain or sun. The wet field could be an advantage for them with DB’s slipping. To me the key is our pass rush. We gotta make them pay for running longer routes. I have no faith in our current head coach to actually game plan so I’m expecting us to have to outscore them. Hopefully our offense just overwhelms their defense.
i’m sorry but western carolina’s qb is not better than dj u. you really lost me there

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@Yaller Jacket , you'll get a web page in the app to login to your carrier. Test it today, because it may not work. If it doesn't, then you have to contact support. ESPN will say it's the carrier's fault, and the carrier will say it's ESPN's fault.

You don't want to try to solve that with 10 minutes until game time.
Slug, it appears there is an app in Dish that will allow me to watch it on the TV. As of now the app on Dish will only show what is on today and tomorrow. But it looks promising. Other Dish people are encouraged to weigh in on this.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think our DB coverage was better than our rush. Our pass rush was certainly better than in the past, but I still think DJ had a lot of time most of the time. DBs did seem to do a much better job than last year's swiss cheese defense.
Looked like the dl did fine job against run.
Last year our fatal flaw (imo) was defending the long pass w max protection. Clemson attempted very few deep patterns. D got 3 sacks! That's darn good for us.

Not comparing the d to last yesr - but just on that game I think the defense as a whole was very fun to watch. Thack was coaching up the dl between series
I am hopeful we can somewhat stop the ole miss run game. Evans was a beast in HS - I think best in country. Kind of a head case - got suspended for cell phone use prior to state championship game ( Northshore won anyway).

Let's get by WC first!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The key matchup is simply can our defense stop their offense. Sure, our offense struggled vs clemson but clemson's got the best front 4 in the country as of now. Sims was relativley accurate considering the defense he was up agaisnt and since WCU is not Clemson i'm sure sims will be fine. Worst case if it rains a lot we can just rely on the run. WCU won't stop our run like Clemson did.

Our defense should handle WCU, if they can stick with Clemson for 2.5 quarters they will be fine on Saturday.
I watched part of their video game with College of Charleston. Somehow, Western Carolina managed to score a bazillion points with a zillion yards despite 4 turnovers. Other than a quarterback who can throw the ball and receivers that appear to be able to go get it, there was nothing much to see. Both teams moved the ball but Western was able to overcome their turnovers because their quarterback had a clean pocket most of the time. He won't have one Saturday. I think Tech wins by 4 or 5 touchdowns. Sorry Cats, no video game on Saturday.