Way too early look ahead to 2018

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
So I was just looking up and down the roster and we have a lot to be excited about heading into 2018...

Offense... we have almost the entire offense back.
QB: everyone returns
AB: we lose JJ Green, who is a good player, but we have 3 of 4 in the rotation returning.
BB: everyone returns
WR: we lose Jeune, again a good player, but we have Stewart, Camp and other exciting younger players there.
OL: we lose Shamire and Andrew Marshall. Marshall hasn't really played yet this year (someone floated the idea of him taking a medical RS this year and playing next year, we'll see how that plays out). We have the majority of our rotation back here also.

Another year of comfort and communication, our offense might be the best we've ever seen under CPJ next year.

Defense... the secondary clears out, but we have talent to step in.
DT: everyone returns
DE: We lose Keshun and Simmmons, we have Anree returning and will need Merriweather or another to step up on the other side. Perhaps Branch or someone else plays that strongside DE spot next year.
LB: We lose Lewis, but Vic and Mitchell have been the starters for the most part this year and have many young and talented guys behind to step up.
DB's: We lose 5 guys, the Austin's, Duhram, Kagawa and C. Griffin. This is the place that the team will have to find some help. I do hope we get some snaps for the young guys over the course of the year, because they are going to really have to step in and step up. We DO have talent on campus already, it's just going to be a big change after a bunch of 3 year starters leave. We have Gray, Simmons, J. Johnson as rising seniors, C. Campbell (who everyone seems to have forgotten about), and then all the freshmen). This group will really have to step up next year!

So... outside of the DB's, we have most of the team back in 2018. I hope we can go 8-3 or better in the regular season and win the bowl game to hopefully have some hype going into next year. I also have the athletic department puts some money into marketing TQM as a heisman contender!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yea I was telling my buddy that as of right now I expect us to win the coastal next year. I hope we win it every year but I expect us to next year.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
On the negative side, the schedule will be tough with Louisville (road) being our crossover game, and a nonconference game at USF. But... if we're legitimately good, we can/should win both of those games.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am still excited about this year. Two of our biggest concerns look promising (QB and BB) and our D has shown potential to be a lot better than what we are accustomed to over the last decade or so. If we fix TO's and ST's, this could be another great year on the Flats.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
On the negative side, the schedule will be tough with Louisville (road) being our crossover game, and a nonconference game at USF. But... if we're legitimately good, we can/should win both of those games.
I see that as the stars aligning for a playoff run because of a good strong OOC to show out and get national attention from

Jmonty71

Banned
So I was just looking up and down the roster and we have a lot to be excited about heading into 2018...

Offense... we have almost the entire offense back.
QB: everyone returns
AB: we lose JJ Green, who is a good player, but we have 3 of 4 in the rotation returning.
BB: everyone returns
WR: we lose Jeune, again a good player, but we have Stewart, Camp and other exciting younger players there.
OL: we lose Shamire and Andrew Marshall. Marshall hasn't really played yet this year (someone floated the idea of him taking a medical RS this year and playing next year, we'll see how that plays out). We have the majority of our rotation back here also.

Another year of comfort and communication, our offense might be the best we've ever seen under CPJ next year.

Defense... the secondary clears out, but we have talent to step in.
DT: everyone returns
DE: We lose Keshun and Simmmons, we have Anree returning and will need Merriweather or another to step up on the other side. Perhaps Branch or someone else plays that strongside DE spot next year.
LB: We lose Lewis, but Vic and Mitchell have been the starters for the most part this year and have many young and talented guys behind to step up.
DB's: We lose 5 guys, the Austin's, Duhram, Kagawa and C. Griffin. This is the place that the team will have to find some help. I do hope we get some snaps for the young guys over the course of the year, because they are going to really have to step in and step up. We DO have talent on campus already, it's just going to be a big change after a bunch of 3 year starters leave. We have Gray, Simmons, J. Johnson as rising seniors, C. Campbell (who everyone seems to have forgotten about), and then all the freshmen). This group will really have to step up next year!

So... outside of the DB's, we have most of the team back in 2018. I hope we can go 8-3 or better in the regular season and win the bowl game to hopefully have some hype going into next year. I also have the athletic department puts some money into marketing TQM as a heisman contender!
Having a new DB will and can make a huge difference. That simply means that we could be weak against the pass. But, everything else looks promising.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Losing Shamire will be a bigger loss than we think. I think a big reason we've done well running the ball is because Shamire is actually playing starter minutes. He is caving in the DL on his side of the field. Pay attention to what side of the OL we run when it's 3rd and short. Don't be surprised to see Shamire drafted if this keeps up.

You can't be anything but excited AF about our QB position. The one guy we were all sure would be the one moving to another position has been a revelation as our starting QB...and might possibly be the best new starter in the ACC. Remember, Taquan is probably still drinking through a hose in terms of getting the nuances of the position down...but his running ability and savvy are such that it's making up for his lack of time running this offense. The young talent behind him may be more physically gifted than Taquan.

BB talent is deep as well. Jerry Howard needs to clean up his fumbles, but you can see a bit of Dedrick Mills with more speed in his game.

As talented as we are on offense, I'm actually WAAAAY more excited about what's going on on the defensive side of the ball. We're getting good talent on the DL, the back 7 is getting longer, faster, and more athletic. Could GT actually have a D just as good as our O soon? I think so...and that's scary for the ACC.