Way too early analysis - GT v. Alcorn

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a play down on the second drive, 2nd and 6 from the 13. It at ~18:45 of the WatchESPN replay.

We ran a toss sweep to Lynch on the left (short) side of the field. The play was defended pretty well and had no business going anywhere, but Summers took his man, turned him, and blocked him 8 yards backwards and through the sideline, letting Lynch get 10 yards and end up with First and Goal.

That's what gets and keeps you on the field. He deserved that TD.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
On Searcy's long run down the right side he made a defensive player with the angle on him miss...somehow. If he is really that hard to hit solidly, then we will have a great one to watch for several years.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Great to see no significant dropoff on offense with subs in for 2+ quarters of play. Even Swilling gets a TD!

How exciting to have ABs in the mold of Qua and TM. This is a next step for our O, and as long as they block like TM showed he could do last night, look out... We ran a very vanilla playbook last night, but I envision JeT playing pitch and catch with TONS of wide open ABs.

First team D did EXACTLY what I hoped they would. Stuffed the run, swarmed to the ball, created a turnover. AG and JH took up double teams all first Q, allowing others to make big plays.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed with our defense. Alcorn St had a really good offense last year and returned all their starters, if I heard the telecast correctly. They had their stud qb pretty animated on the sidelines.
Yep, a quarterback with over 6000 yards passing was totally shut down. I think we have a pretty good secondary. :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Marshall
11199215.jpeg

Class: Freshman
Hometown: Raleigh, N.C.
High School: Millbrook
Height / Weight: 5-10 / 200
Position: BB

High School: Younger brother of Georgia running back Keith Marshall … Set school’s season rushing record with 2,198 yards and 31 touchdowns for Millbrook HS … Scored all 12 of Millbrook’s touchdowns in state playoffs … 2014 Conference Offensive MVP … Named all-conference and all-Raleigh Metro as senior … Also academic all-conference selection … Ranks third on school’s career rushing list with 3,165 … Holds Millbrook school record for most points scored in season (186) and rushing yards in game (350 vs. Jack Britt in 2014 playoffs) … Tied brother’s record for most points scored in game (30) … Has 4.3 GPA.

jwsavhGT, Jul 31, 2015 Report
#149 Unlike + Quote Reply
You, tech_wreck47, COJacket and 2 others like this.

Many of us were saying he was the running back in this class that we were most excited about. Nothing has made me change my mind.

GT got the better Marshall...said it in his recruiting thread. Marcus will have the better career before it's all said and done.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BB bar has actually been raised. This is not to diminish Either ZL or SD, but the ceiling is higher now. Ball security is an apparent concern though.

Gotsis has improved his body. So have a host of others.

JT made two bad decisions: forced the ill-timed throw to Stewart, and ran backwards like he was in HS on that sack. To me, those plays were born out of overconfidence due to the opponent.

I like our AB group. Not as worried anymore.

Not many sacks but a lot of early flush outs and early throws.

Can't wait to watch the recording!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm diggin' all these great comments folks. Oh yeah, one other guy worth mentioning:
<---------------Tim Byerly

I hope he enjoyed playing last night. It's good to have a capable back-up if needed for any reason.
Here is my prediction about Byerly. If Tech has the kind of magical season we all hope it will be we will look back on the play of Byerly as the key to keeping JT fresh all season long. I hope Byerly continues to play a lot of minutes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Before we go all gaga over Marshall, remember what a BB has to do:

- He has to reliably get you four yards on 3rd and 3, and

- He can't fumble the ball.

Now you know why Skov is starting. It is also wise to remember that Alcorn had 1 first down in the first half. By the time Marshall hit the field, their D had effectively played an entire game.

Oth, he is every bit as fast as advertised and I was extremely impressed.

As to the game itself: we were much faster then they were on both sides of the ball. I didn't expect as big a difference as I saw. This team has a bunch of really good skill athletes and both lines are pretty quick. Even Shamire; I watched him specially and he performed extremely well. And his time on the field was vintage Tim Byerly: it didn't look like he was actually doing much, but we moved as efficiently with him under center as we did with Justin.

A very encouraging performance!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
GT got the better Marshall...said it in his recruiting thread. Marcus will have the better career before it's all said and done.

Keith has just over 1000 yards over the past 3 years (last year only 12 carries). If the first game is an accurate indicator, little bro may exceed that in year one at TECH.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
TaQuon looks like a hell of an athlete as well. Could become very valuable in the passing game.

That guy was all over the place. Loved the confidence he played with.

I was like, "Man who's #16 ... wait that's Marshall ... but, no he's a BB ... oh, wait the other Marshall ..."

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Marcus Marshall
11199215.jpeg

Class: Freshman
Hometown: Raleigh, N.C.
High School: Millbrook
Height / Weight: 5-10 / 200
Position: BB

High School: Younger brother of Georgia running back Keith Marshall … Set school’s season rushing record with 2,198 yards and 31 touchdowns for Millbrook HS … Scored all 12 of Millbrook’s touchdowns in state playoffs … 2014 Conference Offensive MVP … Named all-conference and all-Raleigh Metro as senior … Also academic all-conference selection … Ranks third on school’s career rushing list with 3,165 … Holds Millbrook school record for most points scored in season (186) and rushing yards in game (350 vs. Jack Britt in 2014 playoffs) … Tied brother’s record for most points scored in game (30) … Has 4.3 GPA.

jwsavhGT, Jul 31, 2015 Report
#149 Unlike + Quote Reply
You, tech_wreck47, COJacket and 2 others like this.

Many of us were saying he was the running back in this class that we were most excited about. Nothing has made me change my mind.

upload_2015-9-4_9-58-21.png

yep...

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
One thing about a game like this is some true playing time for our younger guys and #2 and #3 guys. Getting these guys some real playing time will help out when it comes to rotating during a tough game. Every snap those guys get better our odds of them not making mistakes when it really matters. I am excited about the season and hope we can do the same next week against a little tougher opponent.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Keith has just over 1000 yards over the past 3 years (last year only 12 carries). If the first game is an accurate indicator, little bro may exceed that in year one at TECH.

He's also been injured the last two years. As a freshman he had 117 carries and 759 yards. If we can get about that out of MM I'll be happy. I don't doubt that MM will end up with the better career numbers.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed with our defense. Alcorn St had a really good offense last year and returned all their starters, if I heard the telecast correctly. They had their stud qb pretty animated on the sidelines.

The Alcorn QB, unfortunately for him, had a terrible night throwing. He misfired on many short dump passes to open receivers. A better performance from him would have made this a much closer game. His receivers did not help him much as there were several drops from the Braves receivers. Even though our defense played well overall there were many open receivers that the QB did not connect with. Alcorn QB seemed to be filled with SHOCK and AWE and CHOKE.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
We won......looked really good ..........made a few mistakes............that will get correct ...........need to keep grounded and CPJ will make sure of that......... you cant go win em all if you lose the first one..............it is what it is!!!.......oh interesting number for Mr. Marshall........

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said he switched QBs at the goal line to keep JT from getting hurt. If it were fsu or uga, JT would have stayed in.

That's good to hear. Never like putting in a cold QB into a drive unless you have to and while Byerly is bigger than Thomas, 212lbs doesn't really warrant the risk of the switch.

Now you know why Skov is starting. It is also wise to remember that Alcorn had 1 first down in the first half. By the time Marshall hit the field, their D had effectively played an entire game.

No, Alcorn's D hadn't played an entire game. They had played 20 snaps before Marshall's first run. What he did had nothing to do with their defense being worn down.

Declinometer

Banned
That guy was all over the place. Loved the confidence he played with.

I was like, "Man who's #16 ... wait that's Marshall ... but, no he's a BB ... oh, wait the other Marshall ..."

Agreed! I will go out on a limb and say T Marshall and Q Searcy have more wiggle than any of our previous A backs. A "good" wiggle !