Way too Early 2023 Predictions

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
2023 Record: 7 wins 5 losses
Margin of error, VERY HIGH-could swing from worse scenario 4-8 to best of 7-5

Something just occurred to me -

This is the first time in 3 years where I've believed a take like "worst-case scenario of 4-8." Under TFG, after that first season I realized there were no guaranteed wins. Many kept posting pre-season "worst case scenarios" having 3 wins, etc - but seriously, given how we played under the last staff, we could easily have lost any game. I didn't see Western Carolina as a likely loss this year - but I in no way saw it as a guaranteed win.

While I miss the CPK years where the floor most of us expected was 6 wins, being able to look at the schedule and honestly say, "We should win 4 out of 12 games" is something I can't believe I haven't been able to think for 3 years. And yet I really feel it, after the turnaround during last year's season. I've missed that.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Something just occurred to me -

This is the first time in 3 years where I've believed a take like "worst-case scenario of 4-8." Under TFG, after that first season I realized there were no guaranteed wins. Many kept posting pre-season "worst case scenarios" having 3 wins, etc - but seriously, given how we played under the last staff, we could easily have lost any game. I didn't see Western Carolina as a likely loss this year - but I in no way saw it as a guaranteed win.

While I miss the CPK years where the floor most of us expected was 6 wins, being able to look at the schedule and honestly say, "We should win 4 out of 12 games" is something I can't believe I haven't been able to think for 3 years. And yet I really feel it, after the turnaround during last year's season. I've missed that.
I think what changed psychologically (at least for me) is that CBK showed we are capable of beating good teams on the road (Pitt, UNC). That produced a reason for optimism. We remain capable of getting blown out or losing a game we should win, but the general direction of the program supports the optimism.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know about Ole Miss being in that same category. They definitely have better talent but not so much that I think we ought to wright that one away already.
Last year we were absolutely demolished 42-0 by Ole Miss at home. It is quite probable that we made them look better than they were as the Collins era lasted one more game (thankfully) at UCF the next week. So my prediction was based on that one sample along with home field advantage in Oxford MS in 2023, and they were competitive in the tough SEC West. But I hope you are right. Go Jackets.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Last year we were absolutely demolished 42-0 by Ole Miss at home. It is quite probable that we made them look better than they were as the Collins era lasted one more game (thankfully) at UCF the next week. So my prediction was based on that one sample along with home field advantage in Oxford MS in 2023, and they were competitive in the tough SEC West. But I hope you are right. Go Jackets.
I understand how you are making these predictions, I just don't think Ole Miss is a team at the pevel that they consistently will spank their opponents like that.

Remember how we easily beat VT 49-28 in 2018 running the ball with Oliver, only to get blanked 45-0 in 2019 by them? I think it's much more similar to that and expect a much closer game this year.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
6-6
Losses to GA, Clem, Ole Miss based on talent differences.
Losses to UNC and UM. Winnable games, but we will go through growing pains with the new staff
Loss @Va because we always do. It's a house of horrors for us
Beat everyone else, go bowling and win a lowlevel bowl

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
6-6
Losses to UNC and UM. Winnable games, but we will go through growing pains with the new staff
Armstrong gone we beat Va.
Our team is disciplined to PJ standards and there is magic in the air (raid)
Last game of the season we give UGA absolute hell and Pyron pulls it out of his ugahole. 9-3. The Key era begins.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
If I'm wrong, and we win less than six games next year, I'll take my medicine.

But if we win 6+ and go bowling, I'm going to mercilessly hound the Eeyores on this board who call themselves "fans" (which is technically short for "fanatics").

View attachment 13918

Y'all been warned.
I’m with you. I believe 7 to 8 wins is very possible and get in the right bowl game we could get 9 wins. I’m excited about the players we’ve got in the portal I believe Brent Key knocked it out of the park.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So nice that we all agree that 1-3 wins isn't even an option now as it has been for the past 3 years! Key has done a remarkable job so far.
And its great to rationally have hope for continuing improvement in the following years.

If we go 7-5 with very strong quarters against the mega power 5 schools, our hope could become irrationally exuberant.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think we get our special team problems worked out, gain some offense for what we've had and we'll have a good defense that will not have to stay on the field as much for seven wins

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have guarded optimism about the defense. We are losing two experienced line backers that were very good. Charlie was exceptional. We just lost a good CB in Walton who had eligibility and a defensive lineman that is projected as a fairly early round draft pick. Who will replace those guys at the same level?
I would hope we can but it will not be plug and play. Those guys were solid. I do expect the offense to be better overall with a better OC and a more experienced OL. I have high hopes for our QB. There will be some competition there.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
6-6
I don't think the growing pains of a new staff is worse than the pain of a Collins-led team, and yet we still beat UNC. I believe we beat UNC yet again.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I have guarded optimism about the defense. We are losing two experienced line backers that were very good. Charlie was exceptional. We just lost a good CB in Walton who had eligibility and a defensive lineman that is projected as a fairly early round draft pick. Who will replace those guys at the same level?
I would hope we can but it will not be plug and play. Those guys were solid. I do expect the offense to be better overall with a better OC and a more experienced OL. I have high hopes for our QB. There will be some competition there.
Do not forget Keion White. Mel Kiper has him going in the first round of the draft.

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing Charlie is terrifying, but I’m glad the prior group got to compete with him for years. Andre white looks like a starter, I wonder who else will step in.

Keion is sad as well but I think we had some guys coming alive and causing trouble near the end that will be back.

From what I remember about last years secondary, everybody is back besides zamari? Could be a good year, anybody know for sure?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think we get our special team problems worked out, gain some offense for what we've had and we'll have a good defense that will not have to stay on the field as much for seven wins

I am concerned about the losses on defense which I think may regress a bit. But as @stinger 1957 said, improvements on offense and special teams can go a long way to making just an average defense seem good. I think a lot of our worst losses (by score) last year were when the D was gassed after the offense went multiple 3-and-outs/turnovers, or special teams gaffes.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
Now that we know our schedule, here’s my way too early picks.

vs. Louisville- W
South Carolina State- W
@ Ole Miss- L
@ Wake Forest- L
Bowling Green- W
@ Miami- L
Boston College- W
North Carolina- L
@ Virginia- W
@ Clemson- L
Syracuse- W
Mutts- L