Way too Early 2023 Predictions

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
One other factor working in our favor: the lack of scouting reports.

Opposing teams - at least early in the season - will have absolutely nothing in terms of game film to go on when they start getting ready to play us.

Even WE don't know what our offense is going to look like. So, put that in your prep and smoke it. :oops:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think most of y’all will be surprised how good we will be next year ( no not 15-0) but this team will play hard fight every game .
That is 1/3 of the equation. We have hope in the coaching staff but they are mostly new as a group so they are TBD but hopeful. The last piece is talent. We are improving but have serious holes at LB, DE, TE and WR. We have addressed some thru the Portal but they are unknown how they will mesh at best. We don't have much depth along the OL or at LB. Injuries could really derail our team.

Getting to 6-6 is a realistic goal. Above that is a good year and very promising for the coaching staff.

JacketFan137

Banned
Unless Clemson improves, they’re beatable by a well-coached team. Their offensive and defensive coaching was weaker last season. I think Ole Miss will be as tough or maybe tougher.

We should win SC State and Bowling Green for two wins.

UVA, BC, and Syracuse are all winnable, and if we’re decent we should be favored. Those add up to our path to four or five wins (hopefully five). A solid, healthy, and disciplined team can get five wins.

Louisville will probably be good, and will be tough to win. Getting to six wins takes at least one upset, even if it’s a slight upset.

Wake, UNC, Miami are uphill fights. Wake will play smart, and will have a good (new) QB. UNC will score, but can they play defense? Miami is going to toughen up and kick out the players who don’t want to grind. UNC is the most beatable of this group. Getting to 7 wins takes a couple of upsets, including a bigger upset.

Ole Miss and Clemson are a notch above the last group. They’re winnable, but right now they’re almost a “pull down the goalposts” win.

Eight wins is really tough with this schedule.

UGA is on a different level than Bama, Michigan, OSU, etc. We will give them a game, though

For me next season, 5 wins is a C, 6 wins is a B+, 7 is an A-, and 8 or above is an A+.
wake is getting far too much credit here

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Amen, Freaking duke beat them this year. I’m more worried about uva in Charlottesville, that’s the type of game that typically we should win but instead punch ourselves right in the d!ck.

Agreed. Charlottesville has almost always been a spooky place for us, save that 1990 year and a couple of others.

JacketFan137

Banned
Amen, Freaking duke beat them this year. I’m more worried about uva in Charlottesville, that’s the type of game that typically we should win but instead punch ourselves right in the d!ck.
wake runs a gimmick offense as a small school so people in here revere them way more than they should. hartman was a good qb and perfect for their offense and typically schools like that regress a lot when there is a new qb. it’s not like bama or oklahoma who has a new blue chip prospect in the pipeline every season.

clawson is a good coach so he could surprise me but i’d bet they are more likely to go 7-5 than 9-3/10-2

Eli

Helluva Engineer
wake runs a gimmick offense as a small school so people in here revere them way more than they should. hartman was a good qb and perfect for their offense and typically schools like that regress a lot when there is a new qb. it’s not like bama or oklahoma who has a new blue chip prospect in the pipeline every season.

clawson is a good coach so he could surprise me but i’d bet they are more likely to go 7-5 than 9-3/10-2
How is slow mesh a “gimmick”?

Webster’s dictionary for the term used way too often

something that is not serious or of realvalue that is used to attract people's attention or interest temporarily, especially to make them buy something:

Wake simply runs a different offense.

Uga running a sugar huddle and hitting 3 huge plays off of it would by definition be considered a gimmick

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Agre
How is slow mesh a “gimmick”?

Webster’s dictionary for the term used way too often

something that is not serious or of realvalue that is used to attract people's attention or interest temporarily, especially to make them buy something:

Wake simply runs a different offense.

Uga running a sugar huddle and hitting 3 huge plays off of it would by definition be considered a gimmick
Agreed. Air Raid was also a 'gimmick' system, designed by Hal Mumme (along with Mike Leach) to give teams with lesser talent an edge over those who had more resources.

And now most college teams and a number of pro teams use parts of, if not their entire, system.

A "gimmick" is temporary, until it's not. Then again, the same could be said for all offensive and defensive trends in football.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agre

Agreed. Air Raid was also a 'gimmick' system, designed by Hal Mumme (along with Mike Leach) to give teams with lesser talent an edge over those who had more resources.

And now most college teams and a number of pro teams use parts of, if not their entire, system.

A "gimmick" is temporary, until it's not. Then again, the same could be said for all offensive and defensive trends in football.
In 93 son played on stud hs team in houston. We ran power I and the air raid depending on the team we were playing. Had stud rb, good qb qnd wr plus great defense. We were first hs in houston to copy art brilles at stepenville who had successfully run air raid.

We had big game against a very talanted inner city high school . 18,000 attended and se were expected to pass every down , but we ran it down thier throats using strong line formations. Yea my son was the tackle that shifted - and thsts where the play went dispite other eye candy

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My expectations are limited for next year. My main concern is the new O staff. We don't know what Key has it in mind to run or how effective it will be. Our O talent is also limited, especially at WR. Further, while the OL performed better as the year went on, it never reached the point where it was better then average. QB is also unsettled. I hate that. On D I believe we will be more solid; we have replacement value coming back at LB and the rest seems ok. Further, we know now that the DC is capable of scheming a game competitively.

I could see us winning as many as 7 or as few as 4. A lot depends on how we can jell in the spring and fall. TLDR = too many question marks to rate a double thumbs up. But I would have said that in 2014 before the season started.