Way too Early 2023 Predictions

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

ESPN released their (extremely) preseason top 25 for next year shortly after the title game ended. To nobody’s surprise, the two-time defending champs are #1, followed by #2 Ohio State, #3 Michigan, and #4 Florida State.

What are your thoughts on the 2023 season? Where does Tech stand? What kind of season will we put together? Who are your CFP top 4? Will the ACC be shut out of the playoff again?

I think the top 4 in no particular order for next year will be Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and USC. The first 3 are losing their starting QBs, but have more than enough firepower to go 12-0 or 11-1 against their schedules. UGA’s schedule is a literally cakewalk this time. The only reasonably tough game they’ll have will be @Tennessee, and they just lost maybe the best QB in the country this year. Bama will have to play Texas, LSU, and Tennessee at home, as well as Texas A&M, and Auburn on the road. A much tougher schedule than UGA, but after this year I think Saban and the Tide come out as hungry as ever, ready to show everyone they’re still top dogs. Ohio State has lost 2 years in a row to Michigan to lose the Big 10 East, but they’re far too talented to lose again IMO. They’ll lose Stroud who was an incredible QB, but they a 5-star and a 4-star QB waiting in the wings to take over with that explosive talent around them. USC returns the Heisman winning QB and adds even more talent through the portal. I think they finish 11-1 because they do play a pretty tough schedule @Oregon and @Notre Dame along with hosting Washington, Utah, and UCLA. But they’ll win the PAC 12 at 12-1.

I think the ACC goes another year without a playoff team. Clemson’s defense was torn apart by both Tennessee and South Carolina, and Klubnik is not a Trevor Lawrence/Deshaun Watson type QB talent, not yet anyway. Losing both Venables and Tony Elliot might lead to the demise of Clemson as a powerhouse contender. I do think ESPN got it right by throwing FSU into the mix. I believe they’re going to be the best team in the ACC next year. They return Jordan Travis along with 15 other starters from a team that played extremely well down the stretch. They have to play @Florida, @Clemson, home vs. Miami, and a neutral site against LSU. They probably go 2-2 through that stretch to finish the year 10-2 but good enough to make it to the ACC title. Probably against either Clemson or UNC.

As for Tech, there are only 2 games I don’t think we have a real shot in this year, @Clemson and vs. Georgia. But every other game seems very winnable to me. There are 3 more I think we’ll be a pretty heavy underdog in, @Miami, @Ole Miss, and vs. UNC. Louisville in the Benz, @Wake, and @UVA are probably the next toughest tier of games, but Louisville is going through a transition and we get them in game 1. Wake is losing maybe their best QB ever, and UVA is coming off a terrible season under a first year coach.

If everything clicks I think we could absolutely get to 10-2, but not very likely. 9-3 or 8-4 would be great seasons and I definitely think we have potential to get to one of those numbers. Ole Miss, Miami, and UNC don’t particularly scare me. They’re better on paper, but we have a point to prove against Ole Miss, and I don’t think HCBK will let the boys forget what happened in 2022 when we go to the Grove this year. Miami seems to always under achieve, but playing on the road is tougher, even if there’s nothing special about their atmosphere. We’ve had UNCs number lately. I imagine Mack probably reminds his guys about that, but we get them at home, without hopefully a good showing and good home field advantage.

I think 6-6 should be the floor of this team, so a C grade. Anything less than that gets an F, barring some super wild attrition nobody is counting on right now. 7-5 would be a B. 8-4 an A, 9-3 or better is an A+

slugboy

Staff member
Unless Clemson improves, they’re beatable by a well-coached team. Their offensive and defensive coaching was weaker last season. I think Ole Miss will be as tough or maybe tougher.

We should win SC State and Bowling Green for two wins.

UVA, BC, and Syracuse are all winnable, and if we’re decent we should be favored. Those add up to our path to four or five wins (hopefully five). A solid, healthy, and disciplined team can get five wins.

Louisville will probably be good, and will be tough to win. Getting to six wins takes at least one upset, even if it’s a slight upset.

Wake, UNC, Miami are uphill fights. Wake will play smart, and will have a good (new) QB. UNC will score, but can they play defense? Miami is going to toughen up and kick out the players who don’t want to grind. UNC is the most beatable of this group. Getting to 7 wins takes a couple of upsets, including a bigger upset.

Ole Miss and Clemson are a notch above the last group. They’re winnable, but right now they’re almost a “pull down the goalposts” win.

Eight wins is really tough with this schedule.

UGA is on a different level than Bama, Michigan, OSU, etc. We will give them a game, though

For me next season, 5 wins is a C, 6 wins is a B+, 7 is an A-, and 8 or above is an A+.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Unless Clemson improves, they’re beatable by a well-coached team. Their offensive and defensive coaching was weaker last season. I think Ole Miss will be as tough or maybe tougher.

We should win SC State and Bowling Green for two wins.

UVA, BC, and Syracuse are all winnable, and if we’re decent we should be favored. Those add up to our path to four or five wins (hopefully five). A solid, healthy, and disciplined team can get five wins.

Louisville will probably be good, and will be tough to win. Getting to six wins takes at least one upset, even if it’s a slight upset.

Wake, UNC, Miami are uphill fights. Wake will play smart, and will have a good (new) QB. UNC will score, but can they play defense? Miami is going to toughen up and kick out the players who don’t want to grind. UNC is the most beatable of this group. Getting to 7 wins takes a couple of upsets, including a bigger upset.

Ole Miss and Clemson are a notch above the last group. They’re winnable, but right now they’re almost a “pull down the goalposts” win.

Eight wins is really tough with this schedule.

UGA is on a different level than Bama, Michigan, OSU, etc. We will give them a game, though

For me next season, 5 wins is a C, 6 wins is a B+, 7 is an A-, and 8 or above is an A+.
UNC is always wildly overrated, they've beaten us a grand total of 6 times since 1998 - the same amount we've beaten uga in that span.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Its safe to say UGA and Bama will be back in the Top 4. FSU will be there as well, I don't see a game FSU should lose on their schedule. They were the best ACC team this year and will be better next year. Ohio State will rebound and Michigan will regress. Tenn will be good as well but they just need to develop the culture of winning. That takes a few years.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Its safe to say UGA and Bama will be back in the Top 4. FSU will be there as well, I don't see a game FSU should lose on their schedule. They were the best ACC team this year and will be better next year. Ohio State will rebound and Michigan will regress. Tenn will be good as well but they just need to develop the culture of winning. That takes a few years.
Ohio State may win it all. They have that entire offense coming back and continue to recruit elite level WRs. They are becoming WR U

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ohio State may win it all. They have that entire offense coming back and continue to recruit elite level WRs. They are becoming WR U

They also have one of the best, if not the best, WR coach (ex NFL WR Brian Hartline) in the country. High end talent + high end coaching gets spectacular results.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I would be ok with that, I would rather us win it all, then FSU because that's where my long shot money will be, then anyone but UGAG

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
They have that entire offense coming back
What? They’re losing Stroud and Parris Johnson from their offense, their two best players. And Smith-Njigba (granted didn’t play much this year). But definitely not the entire offense coming back when you got a brand new QB and LT.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
What? They’re losing Stroud and Parris Johnson from their offense, their two best players. And Smith-Njigba (granted didn’t play much this year). But definitely not the entire offense coming back when you got a brand new QB and LT.
I forgot stroud redshirted you are correct

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Right now I have us either 5-7, 6-6, or 7-5. Either one of those would be an acceptable result for Key's first year. What we CANNOT do is win 4 games or less. We NEED to have positive momentum this season.
Not sure about 5-7 being acceptable or positive momentum, we did that last year with a mid season firing. 6-6 and a bowl game should be the minimum acceptable imo.

slugboy

Staff member
I think most of y’all will be surprised how good we will be next year ( no not 15-0) but this team will play hard fight every game .
I agree--I just think that with this schedule the difference between 5 wins and 7-8 wins is huge. If we win 7 games against this schedule, we're a REALLY good team.

I think almost every team we play will hate playing us, though.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm really torn right now with what I feel like we will do. Part of me is very excited with the changes that have taken place and our incoming and returning talent. Combine that with what IHCBK was able to do to get the HC job last year plus a much easier schedule this year and I think we could seem some serious progression in the W-L column. However, I'm also very worried because of the very same reasons I just listed. I just don't want to get heartbroken...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I agree--I just think that with this schedule the difference between 5 wins and 7-8 wins is huge. If we win 7 games against this schedule, we're a REALLY good team.

I think almost every team we play will hate playing us, though.
That seems like quite a stretch or just setting the bar really low, I've never seen a 7-5 team that could be considered really good.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
UNC is always wildly overrated, they've beaten us a grand total of 6 times since 1998 - the same amount we've beaten uga in that span.
With Uga actually winning now UNC probably adopts the mantle of biggest waste of football talent. Ton of nfl guys came through there just to win nothing

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Right now I have us either 5-7, 6-6, or 7-5. Either one of those would be an acceptable result for Key's first year. What we CANNOT do is win 4 games or less. We NEED to have positive momentum this season.
5-7 is a step down in my opinion. We achieved that last year, even though we “over achieved” (from a record standpoint) what my expectations were when HCBK took over. 6-6 would be marginal progress. Minimum for me to fell like real progress is being made is 7-5. As always, there are qualitative metrics that indicate improvement as well, such as competitiveness, improvement in specific area (looking at you special teams), eliminating negative areas, etc that may not show up in W-L and that should be considered, but it’s much more concise (if not accurate) to choose a hard W-L record.