Watching football is fun.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It is a leisure activity. Nobody's life is on the line. There are only ~10 opportunities a year to watch GT football, root on the white and gold, and enjoy a group of kids that don't get in trouble and do their best to represent the school.

Enjoy tonight. Put aside expectations, and disappointment, and kool aid and juice and everything else, and remember that this is FUN.

Good luck tonight, fellas :)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is a leisure activity. Nobody's life is on the line. There are only ~10 opportunities a year to watch GT football, root on the white and gold, and enjoy a group of kids that don't get in trouble and do their best to represent the school.

Enjoy tonight. Put aside expectations, and disappointment, and kool aid and juice and everything else, and remember that this is FUN.

Excellent points here. I can recall a time when this stuff seemed very serious to me but I can't recall exactly why it seemed as important as it did. I find that I enjoy it much, much more than I did back then and I regret it took me so long to get to the point where you are at. I think it was when I realized I had little or no control on the process or outcomes. One might as well get mad at the weather.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s perfectly acceptable to “not have fun” during a 45-0 thumping.

But yes, it’s not life or death and in the grand scheme of things, this is all a meaningless game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm reminded of what Roger Staubach said about Tom Landry.

Quoth Roger, "Landry is a perfect football coach. He's smart enough to understand the game and manage a team. He's also stupid enough to think that it matters."

I sometimes think that I'm another Landry, given how much I care about Tech football. I really do think that having Tech win consistently is important; I've been pretty disconsolate on game days this year and I have (horrors!) actually not used my season tickets for a game or two. And I agree with Roger that being like this doesn't make much sense; it really is just a game and I ought to have more fun watching it.

But I can't. I want Tech to win too much. So call me stupid, I guess.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

Nice try at tempering expectations, setting the bar low and softening the blow. You could have just said we are going to lose so get over it.

Deleted member 2897

These are all good reasons why none of us should **** all over our team or our school on social media. When Georgia Tech's Facebook page posts something about our team having arrived to Yellow Jacket walk, do not go there and spray fecal matter all over it. Leave our guys alone. They spend 50 hours a week lifting weights, watching tape, and practicing. They spend countless other hours going to class, enduring the rigor that is Georgia Tech, studying, and so on.

In order of what's important in the life of our players, it might look something like:
1) God
2) Health
3) Family
4) Friends
5) Education
6) Football?

I mean, thinking back to my college days, I might have prioritized sleep and/or food higher too. Maybe women. :D

The point is, have our guys' backs no matter the outcome. They don't need fans so much when we're winning 8+ games. Now is when they need us behind them the most.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is why you have to have a short memory... Was I pissed we lost 45-0 and looked totally lost? Yes. Did that influence me in not watching GT football for the rest of the year? Not a chance. Will I be in my seats screaming like we are 10-0? Absolutely.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

How are you enjoying your UVA Cavaliers' this year? I'd truly like to hear your thoughts on that and Bronco and the state of the program, maybe as connected to your thoughts on the state of the GT program. I'm patient. You can have up to 15 minutes to put this together.

toddwchandler

Georgia Tech Fan
I get a kick out of the "fan" who sits on the row behind us. He complains about absolutely everything and is angry the entire game. He complains about the coaches, the referees, the chain gang, the band, to scoreboard operator, etc. You name it, he complains about it. I honestly don't understand why he pays good money to come to the game and just be angry for 3 1/2 hours. If it makes you that miserable, stay home.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
At least we don’t have to worry about getting into the playoffs. Or losing in the first round. Or losing the CG and wanting to fire someone.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
These are all good reasons why none of us should **** all over our team or our school on social media. When Georgia Tech's Facebook page posts something about our team having arrived to Yellow Jacket walk, do not go there and spray fecal matter all over it. Leave our guys alone. They spend 50 hours a week lifting weights, watching tape, and practicing. They spend countless other hours going to class, enduring the rigor that is Georgia Tech, studying, and so on.

In order of what's important in the life of our players, it might look something like:
1) God
2) Health
3) Family
4) Friends
5) Education
6) Football?

I mean, thinking back to my college days, I might have prioritized sleep and/or food higher too. Maybe women. :D

The point is, have our guys' backs no matter the outcome. They don't need fans so much when we're winning 8+ games. Now is when they need us behind them the most.

And
576,293) Fans' opinions of alternate uniform colors

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I get a kick out of the "fan" who sits on the row behind us. He complains about absolutely everything and is angry the entire game. He complains about the coaches, the referees, the chain gang, the band, to scoreboard operator, etc. You name it, he complains about it. I honestly don't understand why he pays good money to come to the game and just be angry for 3 1/2 hours. If it makes you that miserable, stay home.

Yeah, at least we don't have to pay to complain on GT Swarm

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
How are you enjoying your UVA Cavaliers' this year? I'd truly like to hear your thoughts on that and Bronco and the state of the program, maybe as connected to your thoughts on the state of the GT program. I'm patient. You can have up to 15 minutes to put this together.

I'm loving the heck out of it :)

Here's the thing. I don't like Bronco Mendenhall. I wouldn't want to hang out with him. I wouldn't send my kids to play for him. I think he's largely full of it.

That said, he's also clearly at least a competent football coach. He may even be an above average ACC coach. We shall see. The point is, he's clearly good enough to coach at UVa. He doesn't recruit kids that get in trouble, he wins enough games that we're not embarrassed, and he doesn't bang his assistants.

The difference between UVa and Georgia Tech is that UVa realizes that that's good enough. We haven't been blessed with an almost unbelievably good run of coaches that have disguised our underlying structural issues. If he does that for 20 years, he'll never have a hot seat, and we'll build him a statue at the end.

It's a little bit lame rooting for him because he's such a tool, but whatever, I have no complaints.

We'll see how much of his success has been the result of fantastic success mining the transfer market for QB's since he's arrived at UVa. We're going with a kid that we have developed from the beginning next year, and who knows how it'll go.

As it relates to GT, I'm not sure how much it does.

Personality wise, Bronco is probably closer to PJ than he is to Collins. He's not a recruiter guy, he's a "recruit a bunch of guys who want to run through the wall and get it done on effort" type. I mean, he's a douche, but in addition to being a douche, he's that as well.

I don't think they're really going to succeed the same way, if they're both going to succeed.

I'll be honest, I would be genuinely surprised if Collins succeeded at GT the way you guys want him to.

I have bought into the idea that GT is academically hard as hell, and not for people who don't take school seriously. I have further bought into the idea that GT's administration will not do football any favors, and will not let a bunch of borderline cases in. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a hard time imagining that "one of the hardest places to recruit to" is a good match for a coach whose route to success revolves around out-recruiting the opposition.

I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again, but it doesn't seem like a good impedance match to me. ALL THAT SAID, if he's going to succeed, it's going to take a few recruiting cycles for it to happen, because he's not going to outscheme people the way PJ did. You have to let him recruit his guys, and then let them develop for 3 or 4 years, and have several recruiting classes of his guys in a row before you can evaluate, because that's his model, and if you didn't want that model, you shouldn't have hired him. You have to let him succeed or fail his way, and that will be a judgement you can make in 2022

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I would move to another seat if one is available than to listen to that the whole game. A friend of mine and I were at the old Gator Bowl for a Georgia - Florida game and these guys behind us were arguing with the guys in front of us with all parties definitely influenced by alcohol. In the third quarter with the Gators up by 4 TDs and they were still at it we left. It just wasn't worth it. Lots of seats were available in the Georgia section but I will be damned if I were going over there.