WatchESPN not working

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am a SlingTV subscriber. Until last week I was happily watching games via the WatchESPN page on ESPN's website. I login with my Sling account. Now it does not work. I can watch live stuff on ESPN via the SlingTV website, so my Sling account is still active. Any hints or suggestions?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am a SlingTV subscriber. Until last week I was happily watching games via the WatchESPN page on ESPN's website. I login with my Sling account. Now it does not work. I can watch live stuff on ESPN via the SlingTV website, so my Sling account is still active. Any hints or suggestions?

Fixed for you yet?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
when they upgrade the app you have to go to the watch espn activate page and use the new activation number. i use a fire tv 'box'. i have about 30 apps downloaded including the sling app. every now and then they upgrade the apps and you have to download the new version.
when that happens you need to re-activate that app.

im not talking about with-in the sling app im talking about the stand alone watch espn app. go to the left sidebar and one of those options will give you an activation number. i forget which one.

hope this helps

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am still having the problem when I try to watch via WatchESPN. It seems to be my Sling TV login. I can watch live games via the Sling website, but not via ESPN. The ESPN help desk said there is nothing wrong with my Sling login on their site. It's a real head scratcher.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What are you paying for sling currently if you don’t mind?

I pay $54 a month PSV but that includes $10 a month for Redzone and I bumped up my package so it includes FOx Sports South during GT BBall season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am still having the problem when I try to watch via WatchESPN. It seems to be my Sling TV login. I can watch live games via the Sling website, but not via ESPN. The ESPN help desk said there is nothing wrong with my Sling login on their site. It's a real head scratcher.

What do you see when you try to use your WatchESPN app?

I had a problem a few weeks ago where it just stopped giving me access to ACC Network, but I think that problem was on the Sling side, the ESPN help desk said that they were getting "no access" from the Sling (even though I had access on Sling) link to them. I was never able to talk with someone at Sling, but I did type my problem into a chat window that was never answered. It was fixed the next week.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It works on the WatchEspn app, but I cannot cast from the app onto my TV. Am I missing something?

I have had no problem casting ESPNApp from my phone to my TV (via my BluRay player), and I just use the Android Miracast. FWIW, Sling does not completely cast via this method, that is, it casts the sound but not the picture.
{A note on the side: Casting the sound but not the picture seems to be common with Hulu and Netflix (but they have their own apps on my bluray player which ESPN does not).}

So, it seems to me that that your problem is completely on your end. If you're getting the desired content via the ESPN app, then ESPN and Sling have done their job, it seems to me. How are you trying to cast?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have had no problem casting ESPNApp from my phone to my TV (via my BluRay player), and I just use the Android Miracast. FWIW, Sling does not completely cast via this method, that is, it casts the sound but not the picture.
{A note on the side: Casting the sound but not the picture seems to be common with Hulu and Netflix (but they have their own apps on my bluray player which ESPN does not).}

So, it seems to me that that your problem is completely on your end. If you're getting the desired content via the ESPN app, then ESPN and Sling have done their job, it seems to me. How are you trying to cast?
Google Chrome.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My MNF rant for the night:
WatchESPN app works absolutely perfect with no buffering during commercials. Gets to the game and constantly stutters and buffers throughout the whole game.

Fire up an illegal stream some dude probably in his mom's basement is going: Absolutely perfect, not delayed like WatchESPN, and in better video quality.

Can't have those commercials buffering or else how would they be able to pay Jamelle Hill and Stephen A. Smith.