Was Vad Injured?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I have seen many references to Vad being injured throughout the year. Was he? In film review he definitely seemed timid later in the season. Does anyone have any info on when he got injured, and what his injury was?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Some have speculated that the hit that Vad took during the UNC game was the "turning point" in him starting to play more timid and hesitant.

I think the hit everyone is referring to is the one at the 0:30 mark in this video:

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Some have speculated that the hit that Vad took during the UNC game was the "turning point" in him starting to play more timid and hesitant.

I think the hit everyone is referring to is the one at the 0:30 mark in this video:

It probably had some impact. Let JT get hit like that and see how well he does the rest of the year.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
On more than one occasion, I thought, "Man, Nesbitt would have run over that guy and gotten the first down." I think Vad decided that he was leaving a lot earlier than anyone realized, and he wasn't willing to take the hits for a program he was departing.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I remember that. But do you think if he took the hits like Vad, would he still be on top of his game?

I'm picking on JT, the way things happen would make it hard for any QB.
No idea. The hit that Vad took reminded me of the hit that Jaybo Shaw took against Duke in '08 at the goalline.

Always thought that both JN and TW knew how to take hits and that's how they haven't gotten hurt. (aside from JN's wrist injury trying to make a tackle)

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Vad often went down on his own or short of the first down when he could have lowered his shoulder and got a few more yards. I did not know he was leaving, I just always figured he was banged up.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, I'm hearing academic issues. Anyone know if he was treading on thin ice?
No he was fine academically, from what I've heard. As a matter of fact, one of the asst coaches told me "Nah he's fine. Very smart kid" when I asked if Vad would struggle with academics and starting QB at Tech.

Georgia Tech is a very unfriendly place if you don't want to be there. If a player doesn't want to wear white and gold, then he should move on. My only question is what took so long to figure it out? It doesn't take that long to know either the football portion or the coaching portion isn't your cup of tea, and the school part you could decide on after a semester--this just ain't for me. Maybe he was hoping for things to get better--waiting for CPJ to let him pass more. Would he have been on board if we had beaten Georgia? We need to wish him well and move on. Tech's present problems are much larger than whether Vad Lee likes us or doesn't like us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No idea. The hit that Vad took reminded me of the hit that Jaybo Shaw took against Duke in '08 at the goalline.

Always thought that both JN and TW knew how to take hits and that's how they haven't gotten hurt. (aside from JN's wrist injury trying to make a tackle)
Nesbitt got hurt quite a bit. Over the course of his tenure, he had a harder time staying on the field than pretty much any QB I can remember. Half the time he WAS on the field he was nursing a sore ankle or something and was really slowed down.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt got hurt quite a bit. Over the course of his tenure, he had a harder time staying on the field than pretty much any QB I can remember. Half the time he WAS on the field he was nursing a sore ankle or something and was really slowed down.

Nesbitt took a beating. Has anyone watched the beating that Navy QB takes, I don't know how he manages to finish the game.

Vad often went down on his own or short of the first down when he could have lowered his shoulder and got a few more yards. I did not know he was leaving, I just always figured he was banged up.
Are you suggesting that his play was an indication that he had decided to leave Tech and he wasn't giving it his all? I would rather believe he was giving it everything he had, then, reflecting after the season ended decided : " I have played my hardest, given this all I had. Clearly this is not fun for me, and I will not be successful in this system or in this conference. I should do Georgia Tech and myself a great big favor and go somewhere where my college experience will be more meaningful for me, closer to home, and less of a fishbowl existence."

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt took a beating. Has anyone watched the beating that Navy QB takes, I don't know how he manages to finish the game.

As much as it sucks, playing injured in this offense is pretty much mandatory. These guys are going to take a beating, and they have to play through some pain. When I was watching the Orange Bowl on Friday night I was amazed at Braxton Miller's effort given the injuries he appeared to be playing through. That's the sort of effort that we need, and it's not something that's easy to come by. Nesbit had a bit of that...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure on this. JT is about the same size as Tracy Ham was at GSU and he survived two seasons of pounding successfully.

I think the key here is speed and creating enough uncertainty about what you are going to do. One of Vad's problems this year is that, since he couldn't run the TO efficiently, it was a lot easier for teams to square up on him and land a lick. Their D puzzle, iow, was simplified greatly and made setting up less of a problem. If JT (or whoever) can run the O correctly and we continue to get the passing game into the O (I hope, I hope) I won't be that disturbed about our QBs being hit out of the games.

For all that, it would be nice for JT to put on 10 lbs or so, just to be on the safe side.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Vad seemed to be limping a bit while not in playing mode. It was obvious his head wasn't in it most of the year. Looking back now, perhaps his heart wasn't either but the UNC hit, IMO, had very little to do with Vad's play this year.