Was our staff this big before?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not going to look it up since I already know it to be fact. Not trying to be snarky, but I followed his recruiting closely, and 2 services changed him from 4 to 5 after he left GT. He signed and was recruited as a 4. I don't know what you're talking about when you mention pooping on coaches and what not. What in the hell are you even talking about?

I didn't follow recruiting closely back then so sorry I apparently missed it.

The 'pooping on coaches' was sarcasm based on the fact that there are some fans here that think that pointing out negative aspects of previous seasons is "pooping on the coach". Although it seems to be limited to only the previous coach. Frankly, based on what I've read from you, you can ignore it - it was in jest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Calvin was a 4* by every service when he was recruited and signed. The 5 from some services came after the fact.

Dang it man...you're gonna make me do work on Saturday?!

There was actually an article that touched on this exact topic....how one service missed on Calvin being a 5 star, and the other got it. Calvin was most definitely a 5 star by one of the services....let me go into the black hole of the internet to dig it up...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's one from ACC SEC blog that references Rivals "missing" CJ grading at 4 stars, and Scout getting it "right" with the 5 star grade...which lines up with my earlier link.

http://www.accsecblog.com/2012/12/the-story-behind-former-georgia-tech.html

The former Yellow Jacket was heavily recruited, but Rivals ranked him as 4 start recruit and their 6th best WR nationally in 2004 behind Early Doucet, Cameron Colvin (who?), Fred Davis, Lance Leggett, and Xavier Carter. Scout did a little better pegging Johnson as a 5 star and third best receiver.

Now @Milwaukee owes me 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

Milwaukee

Banned
Here's an article from 2003 that specifically calls Calvin a 5 star. Can't read it because it's behind a paywall. I think it's a Scout article, so it was Scout that graded CJ a 5 star (247 bought out Scout):

https://247sports.com/college/georg...-5-Star-WR-focused-on-the-Playoffs-104065378/

I can accept that with the 2003 timestamp. My apologies to Rickstrom and yourself. We can all continue our day now...after I get the last word of course...

Calvn Johnson, WR
Johnson was a pretty highly touted player out of Georgia in high school, but you look at what he did at Georgia Tech and how he's fared in the NFL, and you wonder "Where the heck was his fifth star?"

As a prep star, he was 6'4", 210 pounds; today Johnson is 6'5", 235 pounds. No, he's not a tight end, as he runs a 4.3 40-yard dash. He was the best receiver in the country by he time his junior year came and was considered the best receiver prospect since Randy Moss in the 2007 draft.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Uuuhhh, back to the point of size matters.

Was our staff this big before? To me it seems not. And the payroll seems it would be a lot bigger unless CGC is getting paid a lot less than fCPJ. (f=former)

Anyone with the facts? (I don't need to win any internet battles. I know my memory sucks.)

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Uuuhhh, back to the point of size matters.

Was our staff this big before? To me it seems not. And the payroll seems it would be a lot bigger unless CGC is getting paid a lot less than fCPJ. (f=former)

Anyone with the facts? (I don't need to win any internet battles. I know my memory sucks.)

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So 5-star recruit Calvin Johnson wasn't a Yellow Jacket? It's like we didn't even play football before CPJ's arrival to some of you :rolleyes: We also won a national championship without CPJ as coach! And had a Heisman Trophy candidate too!

The previous coach (regime?) had some admirable moments and great victories but recruiting wasn't a strong point. I'm not going to apologize for having optimism that recruiting may improve now that we have a new Coach who appears to be better at it.

Stop falling all over yourself to protect CPJ. His record and accomplishments here speaks for itself.
Don't be an idiot. Calvin was a 4* player. He should have been a 5*, but wasn't.

No one is telling you not to be optimistic, but don't crap an any of the previous coaches, because NONE of them brought in a 5* recruit, EVER.

No one will be more thrilled than me if CGC brings in 1 or more 5* guys here. I'm 100% behind CGC, but I'm not going to crap on any previous coaching group to boost him. Let's get real guys, they're all GT guys.

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Don't be an idiot. Calvin was a 4* player. He should have been a 5*, but wasn't.

No one is telling you not to be optimistic, but don't crap an any of the previous coaches, because NONE of them brought in a 5* recruit, EVER.

No one will be more thrilled than me if CGC brings in 1 or more 5* guys here. I'm 100% behind CGC, but I'm not going to crap on any previous coaching group to boost him. Let's get real guys, they're all GT guys.

In fairness we are only talking about 2 coaches. One a pro coach and one an option guy. Tech has not tested the upper limits of its potential in regards to recruiting since the star system came out.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

gimme a break. I'm not crapping on anyone. am just tired of the loser "We can't do it" attitude that had settled over the program, or at least a number of its fans, until we hired Collins. It's time to stop making excuses and Collins appears to be doing just that.

We've won national championships and had at least one Heisman candidate. We're not as limited as some of us have been led to believe. If it was possible for Gailey to do it once, it's possible for Collins to do it again and frankly, was possible for Johnson as well. That isn't "crapping on him".

Hells bells - the guy got over $30 million from us for his time here and departed on his own terms yet there still seems to be some weird fan paranoia on his behalf whenever any part of his time here is even mentioned. The guy didn't get tortured or treated unfairly and was paid nicely for his efforts. He'll be fine in whatever he does and I doubt he cares what fans are discussing on a message board.